Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 1;12th cygnus gm33  (Read 36835 times)

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
1;12th cygnus gm33
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:48 pm »

i have started building a models by design gm 33   (the last trawler i built was a smaller 1;16th scale gm33   '10years ago nexted month')  its going to be  powered buy a robbe navy 'geared' 5:1  on 12volt  70mm prop shop prop   the hull is  poilished not painted 'andy moulding are very good' :-)) 

ill post pics as i build it (maybe a while as im doing a tug at the same time  :-)) regards ray

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
Re: 1;12th cygnus gm33
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:43:43 pm »

more pics :-))

ajb68

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:48:29 pm »

Looking good there Ray  :-)) keep up the good work  :}

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:10:00 pm »

hi andy  thanks for the comment  :-))  hows your one going?? regards ray

ajb68

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »

getting there slowly , had a few other things on of late but got whaleback done and half the wheel house interior done ,deck will be sealed down this week then the rail cappings will go on which will make a big difference , did you make your own tiller arm for your rudder Ray ?

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:28:49 am »

hi andy  the tiller arms i use  are from robbe  they are very good :-)) & havernt had no problems with one yet  in the pack you get 2 sizes 2 fit 3mm  & 4mm rudder shafts  (westbourne model centre my robbe stuff comes from)   regards ray

ajb68

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:03:45 am »

Cheers mate will get on to them and get it sorted  :-))

ajb68

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:34:21 pm »

Just took a few pics so you can see what ive been up to lots more to do yet , rails go on next week then things can start getting fitted properly  :-))

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »

hi andy  shes comming along very well   :-))    regards ray

ajb68

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:01 pm »

Just a quick update on my progress , fitted the wheelhouse windows and door , wheelhouse interior almost finished decks fitted down and sealed , will post new pics in a few days . regards Andy  :-))

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 10:22:51 pm »

sounds good andy  ill hopefully start on my wheelhouse somtime in the nexted day or so   O0 cutting the scupper's in tomorow & paint inside the balwarks  & who knows might be able to paint the deck ;)  regards ray

Bradley

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »

Hi Guys,
I bought my GM33 a few days before Ray and collected from Andy (Models By Design) on my way down to Weymouth with my caravan but (as you will see from the photos) he is further on with his.  The finish on the hulls is absolutely superb and, I suppose if you are careful, you can get away without painting but I found that when removing some of the moulding flash marks I went through the gel coat and decided to paint with the usual Halfords spray cans.  I have fitted can MFA Torpedo 800 motor to be run off 12 volts and I will, no doubt, get an ESC from Action.  The only query I have, Ray, is whether you used balsa or hardwood for the uprights between the deck and the bulwarks.  Don't hold your breath waiting for the next instalment - I am not a very fast builder. %)
An ongoing problem that I have with my model making is finding a sticky backed foam strip that sticks only to the stand and not to the hull.  So far I have not found one that does not have this problem and, if not careful, you end up with marks left on the hull. :((

Derek.     :police:

ajb68

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »

Hi Derek i would use hardwood for the ribs due to the stress that will be on them due to the bends in the rail timber ,your boat seems to be coming along nicely ! keep up the good work  :-)) regards Andy

craftysod

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 06:20:40 pm »

Derek
I use the door draught seal strip,couple of drops of superglue to seal to stand,no marks on hull.
Or pipe lagging wont leave any marks either.
Mark

Bradley

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »

Thanks for the info Mark and Andy.  You may be able to see on one of the photos that I have supported the hull with 4 pieces of pipe lagging as a temporary measure.  I'm sure that I have used draught seal in the past but I will give it another try (stand by B&Q and/or Homebase :-))).  The only thing that worries me about using hardwood for the ribs, Andy, is that there are so many of them and the upper inner part of the hull has a slight curve in it and they would need a fair amount of carving to fit.  The bulwark timbers would not cause any undue pressure on the hull or ribs as I intend to laminate them from 1mm mahogany strip.
Derek    :police:

ajb68

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 09:31:39 pm »

As you say balsa would probably be ok but i would still go for hardwood as i think it would give a better finish but thats just my opinion mate , im sure a good finish can be obtained with balsa also ive just not used it much myself , i wrongly assumed you were going to use the rail cappings from Andy in which case balsa wouldnt work so well , boats looking nice tho , what are you going to rig it as , nearly all shrimpers and crabbers that way arent they !  i spent a lot of time in kings lynn as i used to skipper a shrimper for a firm in lynn , regards Andy

Bradley

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47:49 pm »

I will probably rig it the same as the original 1:16 drawings - I have a 1:16 model almost finished.  I don't think that any of the Lynn boats bear any similarity to the Cygnus but I am an outsider to this area as I am originally a North Yorkshireman via the Metropolitan Police and living in Hertfordshire.  I have happy memories of your part of the world, Andy - visiting a friend of mine who retired as licensee from my favourite pub in Cheshunt and lived in the flats set high up in Shaldon and celebrating our visit at The Ness.  Happy days :-).  I have not finally decided on the hardwood/balsa question but may give the hardwood a go first of all.
Derek.    :police:

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 11:34:23 pm »

hi derek  boats looking well   fir the uprights / ribs i used 8mm x 8mm spruse  i got it from a stand at wings & wheels i think balsa my be to soft to use  i only managed to cut out the scuppers today (other jobs held me up!!)   still  'another day tomorow'  regards ray

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 05:39:47 pm »

an update  display stand painted   decks painted  the  anti foul painted  & the boot top line on  poilished the hull  the hull is almost finished just  the name & fishing numbers to go on now  :-))  'marked the windows where they have to be cut out'   regards ray

Bradley

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:16 pm »

Looking good, Ray.  Mine is coming along slowly but not as far ahead as yours.  When fitting the uprights between the deck and bulwarks, how did you get round the fact that the hull has quite a convex curve - did you carve the uprights to shape?
By the way someone has submitted a query about the Canadian logging tugs and I mentioned your name to him.
Derek.    :police:

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »

hi derek  thanks  i did trim / shape the uprights slightly  then filled in the gaps  O0  (i made contact with the guy about canadian tugs  thank you )   regards ray

Del-boy1958

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 08:07:52 am »

Hi Ray
That's one fine fishing boat you have there.
Paul is doing his at the moment (My old one)
Will yours be ready for Warwick?
Any news on the items we talked about at the hop farm?
See you soon.

Del

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 02:17:04 pm »

hi del     im not able to go to warwick this year due to work %)  i have a reply & he has one but isnt a full kit  i have e mailed him again yesterday  but not heared anything as of yet! ill let you know as soon as i know  regards ray

pwbone

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:33 pm »

Hi Guys,

I only recently joined the forum, so if I get anything wrong please excuse me.  {:-{

Just thought I’d drop in to say I’m also working on a 1/12 scale Cugnus (SF) 33. I actually got mine last year, but due to other commitments have not made as much progress as I would have hoped. I’ve attached a picture showing the current state of progress.

Currently I’m working on the trawl winch. I obtained a ‘kit’ of plastic parts from Andy. But although I know nothing about such winches I quickly realised that, if built as supplied, Andy’s kit would be a very basic ‘representation’ of the real thing, so having managed to get some pics of various full size winches, and thanks to a 10 minute ‘master class’ from Ray a couple of months ago at our lake (thanks Ray), I’m working on some enhancements to Andy’s kit. I’ll post a picture when it’s more ‘presentable’.

Just wondered if anybody’s given much thought to the ‘stern frame’ yet? What material do you think you might use? Andy has suggested 1/2” sq which I think sounds a bit heavy. My feel is that about 3/8” might be more like it (representing 4”sq full size). Also what material – brass, light alloy, plastic, timber?

Any thoughts?

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:47 am »

hi pete b   your  sf33 is looking very nice well done  :-))   for the gantry ill be useing  brass  but not sure of the size yet & design   regards ray
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.