Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 1;12th cygnus gm33  (Read 36847 times)

ajb68

Re: 1;12th cygnus gm33
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »

Hi mate your boat is looking great  :-)) 3/8 would be about right rectangular or square  in the standard A pattern examples of this can be found on www.findafishingboat.com  look in the under 10 meter section there will be loads of them there , regards Andy

ajb68

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 08:40:21 pm »

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/seaspray.jpg/

Not sure if the link will work but this is my old command , i was skipper on her when she was built you can just see the trawl gantry on her  :-)) Regards Andy

craftysod

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 08:48:23 pm »

Wish i got one now,earlier in the year Andy's stand had one at a show.
I think he's son (forgive me if i'm wrong), put it in the water.By the buddy god of me did it fly,with a brushless setup.
I love fish boats and fast boats,this one combines the both.
The hull without the boob on the front of it  {-)
Mark

P.S Link works Andy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 08:56:30 pm »

This might be better Andy.

Go to "Embed this image" Section

Click on URL next to "Forum" when highlighted right click on it and copy then paste in your reply.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pwbone

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:16 pm »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions; I'm away on my narrowboat now for about the next week or so, so no work on the Cygnus until I get home. Hoping to get to the Warwick show next weekend it's easy to get to from the boat, so I'm hoping to pick up some bits and pieces for the Trawler.

Regards

Pete :-))

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 07:42:55 am »

hi andy  thanks for the pic  she looked a nice one! :-)   ive cut the windows out now  & it has a name    new venture  & reg numbers LO 110    (LO 110 (ina-k) was the last trawler i was on so i though ill use the reg numbers  :-))  i still work on the ina k  'from time to time' but only survey work   

regaqrds ray

ajb68

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 07:20:55 pm »

Hey craftysod calm down  8) The Cygnus 33 and did about 9 knots max so not fast but you could do that speed into just about any weather  O0 if your after a fast fishing boat have a look at that auction site there are often one ore two on there,, ive seen a picture of the one you are on about and while its a nice model seeing a Cygnus ass down nose up aint right (unless its a cyclone) Models by design do a cyclone hull i think ,

HEY RAY  we got summit else in common , i worked on a boat with a London reg LO121  Gabrielle k an ex liverpool class lifeboat , as for the Sea Spray yes she was a cracking boat if you dont mind the constant rolling but in bad weather i wouldn't want to be in anything else !
Nice name for the new one by the way ive reached the painting stage just about  :} trouble is im also starting on 2 more , a model of shelterdeck crabber PEADER ELAINE which will be a twin rig prawn trawler (modifying the plans a tad ) and the other is a model of ALTAIR a Scottish pelagic boat shes gonna be a big girl at approx 5 feet in length  ;) chat soon Regards Andy

Bradley

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 07:50:54 pm »

I agree with you Andy, I think that Craftysod may have seen the Cyclone or the Revenge, both done by Models By Design.  I think that either of them would look good as a fast angling charter boat.   :-))
Derek.    :police:

ajb68

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 08:09:27 pm »

There is a picture on here somewhere of a Cygnus 33 going at about Mach 5  :} but everybody is different i suppose , would be boring if we all liked the same things but as you say the cyclone and revenge would make nice looking charter boats the only problem i have with those type of hulls is that they sit on the water as opposed to in it and suffer in breezy conditions on a steering course but that said i may well build one they are nice hulls

Regards Andy

ajb68

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 08:14:06 pm »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Shows2008/wingswhhels2008/images/W%26W2008_260.JPG
this is the one craftysod was refering to i think , of course could be wrong

craftysod

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 03:50:02 pm »

This is the one i meant,it can be seen at back far right of pic.
Got green hull and you are right its  a revenge

Mark

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 04:00:48 pm »

You might want to check this out.

Fishing boat with a brushless motor !

Andy Griggs of Models By Design is a member of our club.

http://www.srcmbc.org.uk/photo_galleries/gallery_albums/MFVs_by_Andy_Griggs/index.html
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ajb68

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »

Nice boats no doubt , i will get round to doing one someday  O0 got 3 on the go at present my cygnus and 2 scratchbuilds just need a bigger workshop  :-)) :-))

Bradley

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »

Still working on my 1:12 scale Cygnus but, at long last, I have got my 1:16 version tank tested.  It's only about 6 years since I got the hull, etc., from Metcalf Mouldings.  :-)  However, I bought a new deck and wheelhouse from Andy (Models By Design) and used that.
The first photo shows her in my test tank with the appropriate amount of lead shot ballast on the deck and the second with the ballast stowed low down in the (approx) centre of the hull and floating nicely to her marks.  The 2 white areas on the deck are styrene covers for cut-outs in the deck to gain access to the motor and rudder head and these have yet to be painted along with lots of other finishing touches.
If anyone is interested in my 'test tank' I bought it from Staples office supplies for a total of £12.96 inc. postage see - http://www.staples.co.uk/filing-and-archive-supplies/storage-boxes-plastic/coloured-storage-boxes/35-6l-clear-under-desk-box-783-x-392-x-165mm.  It is possible to pick it up when it is nearly full of water but don't try it - I did and just as I was about to empty it it broke, therefore another one on order.  :((  It can cope with being full of water without any problem.  :-))
Must press on with the 1:12 one.  O0

ajb68

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 08:57:28 pm »

Looking good there Derek  :-)) they do make into a good looking boat capable of being on the water in conditions where others are unable to sail , what are you going to rig her as ?

Regards Andy

Bradley

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »

Thanks for your kind comment, Andy.  I still have the original drawings that I got from Dave Metcalf so I will probably rig it the same as that.  I believe it will be the same as Ray111's 1:16 boat but nowhere near as good as he builds them.  Going on how long it has taken me to get this far don't hold your breath for the completion.  :((  I will say that this has now encouraged me to get a move on with the bigger model and looking forward to seeing what Andy has on his stand at Warwickshire.  O0

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 08:55:37 pm »

hi all  derek your 1;16th one is looking nice  'when is sea trials''?  regards ray

Bradley

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 09:01:14 pm »

Hi Ray,
I think that if the weather is kind it may go for 'sea trials' next Sunday.  :-))

ajb68

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 11:26:25 am »

Well due to being on holiday and making nets etc for others not much progress but hoping to get going again soon but also am going to start 2 other builds the first is the Altair a scottish pelagic boat she will be around 50" long and the second is the Peader Elaine which will have some light modification to the plans as she will be rigged as a twin rig prawn trawler so i will be pretty busy  O0

Regards Andy

Bradley

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:27 pm »

Looking good, Andy.  Keep sending the photos, I find them very encouraging.   :-))

ajb68

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:18 pm »

Thanks Derek will do  :-)) The whaleback is almost there now ive just got to fit the bulkhead in then fit the deck lights which ive made out of brass due to nobody doing the tube light s that this kind of boat would have ,

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 03:12:39 pm »

hi andy  shes looking good  :-)) looks like sea trials wont be to long away? great work   regards ray

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 09:53:28 pm »

Hi Gents,
As Del Boy said I bought his 1:12th scale gm33 of him earlier in the summer, Del had started the boat , namely the wheelhouse deck and fitting of the rudder and propshaft - but Ive put it right now  :}- not really mate ,as allways Dell has done a good job.

Since taking over the boat, Ive changed the rudder to a Becker rudder from Robbe- this was the same size as Del's original and fits and looks perfect!
The motor is a "Del special ", couple of years ago he bought a whole tray (10) of large Bhuler motors at warrick , these are about the size of a Graupner 900 but extremely low current draw and run real smooth.

The rear gangtry is square aluminium tube for B&Q pop riveted together with plastic end stops (B&Q)

I have fitted a JJC sound unit with a cooling fan , hopefully if its kept cool it might last more than ten minutes  >:-o
Also I have made the top flap of the exhaust stack flap up and down in the same way as my arun lifeboats exhausts by using fine fishing line and a geared motor , the smoke is provided  by a Graupner 12volt unit  using uncle Alan's specail formula handed down over generations or should I call it BS {-).
Still a long way to go on the fitting out and I just realised that I have forgotton to fit the bullwarks !

Paul.

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »

Pics of the geared motor tha operates the lid in the smoke stack and feed bottle for the smoke unit.

paul

Del-boy1958

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:36 am »

Hi Paul
Nice to see you finishing another boat Keep looking at Rays pictures
and you night learn how to do it properly {-) {-) {-) Just kidding.

I look forward to seeing how many channels you use on the radio this time to get
it all working.

Still not sure about the boot topping colour.

Del
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.