The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

Action Man Rib - Lifeboat

(1/4) > >>

gribeauval:
Some of you may know me from the main Mayhem site. I am the nutter with the BIG model Mersey Class Lifeboat!! 8)

As a change from all the detailing work needed on this boat I have decided to embark upon a "quickie" build (less than the two years already on the Mersey project!!)

PART 1

During my usual trip around the local car boot sales last Sunday I came across two of these Action Man plastic boats for 50p each! (Pic 1). After stripping down to the basic components (Pic 2) all the un-needed parts were discarded and the only bit left was the hull base (Pic 3).The long tubes are the material that will make the new sponsons on the boat.

I intend to make two versions of the inflatable inshore lifeboat ( D Class)

Version 1:  This will have a "conventional" motor/propshaft combination through the hull and will use the outboard as a rudder.

Version 2:  This will have a working outboard, when I have built the 1/6th scale outboard using an electric motor!

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

gribeauval:
PART 2

I have fitted what, in conventional boats, would be the deck or in  a RIB is the floor. To allow the deck to curve up at the front to match the plastic hull the underside of the ply is scored part way through. After bonding to the hull with epoxy resin glue the hatch was cut out to allow access to the inside of the hull. Strips were then glued around the edges of the opening to form a seating that will seal the hatch in use. The closed cell polyurethane foam pipe lagging in the pictures will be trimmed to fit along the edge of the floor and make the boat virtually unsinkable!

gribeauval:
PART 3

After much gluing of fingers together with epoxy and superglue I have fitted the foam for the sponsons around the bow area. The foam is very easy to cut and bend into place and is great fun to work with  8)!!

dennisw100:
You know the D class isnt actually a rib?

It's an inflatable rather than a 'rigid inflatable boat' as it's wholy inflateable, there's no rigid hull.

However, looking at the profile of the underside of this boat it's very near to a Y boat, which are RIB's

Voyager:
I am a keen follower of your life boat build up, and i'm rather blown away with the level of detail being added...superb work!. And now you have gone and started another project.....you are a true nutter my friend.
Looking forward to seeing how this project developes, dont keep us waiting too long!

Kind Regards: Voyager.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version