Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio sets on ebay, Which one?  (Read 2908 times)

swampbug

Radio sets on ebay, Which one?
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:47:32 am »

Hi Guys

seen these on e bay, cheap one and a more expensive one

Not being much into these dont know whats best,

My logic says the more expensive must be better

My wallet says go cheap, whats your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320423326880&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290326364746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Please advise me  {:-{

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Radio sets on ebay, Which one?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:07:50 am »

If it's for surface boats (ie. not submarine) maybe you should think about going 2.4GHz where you will have a lot more freedom from Frequency clashes with other 40Mhz users.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-Plane-Helicopter-2-4Ghz-6Ch-Programmable-Radio-Gear_W0QQitemZ110406187231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item19b4b8b8df&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:20 am »

2.4 is the way modellers are going.. Had the Laser 6 never used it gave it away to a friend but never had any complaints about it. I paid £100. for it a long time ago. But do watch the frequencies of the radios up on ebay. Beaware of what frequency is used on what type of model.

I buy modelling items from the local model shop and if there is a come back its a mile down the road and no hassle. Thats not to say there isn't any bargains on ebay to had.

Seaspray

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:31 am »

The cheap set looks a steal, however it is shipped from Hong Kong, so be prepared to add about 20% to that figure plus Post office charges if they pick it up on their radar at Customs.

Also good luck with any warranty. If you buy the cheapy, be prepared to bin it if there is anything is amiss with it.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:14:47 pm »

Hi there.
In the first set you get battery's charger and 4 servos switch. I think that is coming from my local l model  shop who are very good.

The second set while it look,s cheaper at first it may not be.
You have to compare like for like. So you need to add 4 servos battery's charger switch. Also like has been said about 20% for customs etc

Then there is warranty and ease of returns etc.

As for 2.4 Ghz it has a lot of pros and cons depending on what you are using it for.

John

swampbug

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:20:30 pm »

Hmmm thanx guys, im getting the Happy hunter later this year, and want to change things on her to make her better, the best salvage tug possible, things like, up grading the crane, have fire hoses on board, huge winch on the back and hopefully all working, hence 6 channel.

When you say 2.4 ghz  {:-{

Please put in english lol

:-)) Pete

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »

Here is some selly info on them but do a gooogle and you will get lots of results.

http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/spektrum-2-4-gig-model-boat-radios-7632-0.html

I also believe that there is units you buy to plug into to your existing radio to convert it to 2.4

Enter Peter

Seaspray

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 03:21:56 pm »

HI Pete
 For SURFACE USE ONLY there is 27 MHZ 40 MHZ. 35MHZ is for aircraft

There a new frequency of 2.4 GHZ. On the old 27,40,35 mhz  freq you have crystals that make up the channels. So if you want to sail and you are red channel on 27mhz and some one else was on the red channel on 27mhz you cant use your radio set as you will cause interference problems

The new 2.4 ghz work on a different system. There are about 99 slots in the 2.4ghz range. So your radio hand set is bonded to the reciver and will only respond to signals from that hand set. When you switch on your radio set it looks for a free slot and if there is one your free to go sailing . So unless there 99+ people on the water edge you will never be waiting. Note 2.4ghz can be use in all rc models planes boats etc expect submarines that go under water as 2.4ghz will not travel through water.

Be careful when choosing your radio set as most 2.4ghz set 6ch have channels 1 to 4 full proportional and channel 5 and 6 are on on ie full servo travel . Some set differ.
This is what you will need to check if you intend to get the crane on your happy hunter working.
On my ferry I am having many working items . I have 2 routes
1. get a fully loaded robbe   F14 mega buck not helped with the weak pound.
2. have two radio systems . system 1 40mhz or 2.4ghz controls the boat system 2 a switcher system controls the function ie crane etc. see link

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18065.msg176182#msg176182

John

swampbug

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:42 pm »

Thanx for that John

What do you think of this set? i know its from hong kong.

9 channel sounds good to me, get loads working,

Am i right in saying all i have to do is buy any survo's ?

Pete

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-4Ghz-RC-Plane-9Ch-Digital-Programmable-LCD-Radio-Gear_W0QQitemZ110411123201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item19b5040a01&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.