Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The digital upgrade  (Read 3944 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
The digital upgrade
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:41:22 pm »

Ok its just after half four and the last thirty min's have been spent on the phone with the mother in law trying to help her re tune her digital boxes , unfortunatly the said items are not opperating as fast as she would like them to .So when i tell her to press menu once the result is the poor button gets a hammering , this went on for ten of the thirty mins , then she realised that she was using the wrong controls  >>:-(  , now the box is asking for a password with space for 4 digits but will only allow one digit to be entered  >:-o .
Looks like i will have to forgo an evenings sail and travel to the farm to sort them out  <:( , but on the plus side once the job is done i will get a growler  :} .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The digital upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:48:31 pm »

Looks like you will! I imagine a lot of these set top boxes and TVs will have been set up by somebody who knows what they are doing so a lot of users won't have much of a clue what to do. I believe it's called progress. My three devices seem to have retuned OK but of course it takes the electronic programme guide quite a while to update.

Colin

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »

, but on the plus side once the job is done i will get a growler  :} .
daz

What's a "growler" and does your Mrs know you're getting one from the mother in law :-))

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:20:12 pm »

What's a "growler" and does your Mrs know you're getting one from the mother in law :-))

To a Yorkshireman a growler is a pork pie.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:28:47 pm »

that's right it's a pork pie , and not just any old pork pie . These ar from a local butcher (featherstones) and they are to die for  :-)).
Update on the mother in laws digi box , she rang back later to say that all the channels are working  :o , inc the new one (quest) but the thing is she has no idea how she did it   %) . Bang goes my growler  <:( .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:19 pm »

People in the Cleveleys area will know of the legendary "Beans Burper", a meat'n'tater pie of wondrous flavour and consistency.  Best followed with an earache custard. (As you munch your way through the expanse of the yellow part, the crusts poke you in your ear'oles.  Nearly true.)
As modern technology stumbles onward, it gets more and more like magic.  It all appears to be a clever trick, and there never appears to be anybody who actually knows how it really works. Except the guy in the white coat with the fifteen pens poking out the top pocket.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:23:59 pm »

Turned the lounge upside down looking for the manual. Spent another ten minutes wading through the thing until I found the bit about re-tuning. Rehearsed the various options and selections in my head, checking the diagram of the remote carefully so that I knew which button was where when I needed to press it..............

Switched on the set and it did the whole thing itself!!

Hmmmmmmmmph.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 09:25:18 am »

Well of course it did FLJ. In your household it wouldn't have dared do anything else.....

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16:10 am »

Well of course it did FLJ. In your household it wouldn't have dared do anything else.....

Come, come now, Admiral! I reserve THAT look for awkward customers........  <*<
FLJ

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »

In OZ... we don't have .........."a growler is a pork pie", but we have 'Villies' or 'Balfours' pies  :P....[these are Austro-Hungarian or & British by name]  :-))

With respect to relos we are all tarred with the same brush....& in OZ it appears that I have TWO of these related 'mothers' ....courtesy of a divorce.... <:( ...but are they

'mother in laws'....or 'mothers in law'..... {-) ?????????????????????

I shall post the booklet cover 'Grammar for Lawyers'.......[ISBN 0 409 31447 1] which got me into sooooooooooooooooooo much trouble a few weeks back  O0 {-) %% with the  :police:

I know the correct answer  :} ....do you?  >>:-( ...in a survey ...47.25% got it wrong  :-) ..................

Naturally any response or comment with an in appropriate description or language referencing your partners mother....... will not be acceptable to the Forum guidelines ..... ;D

........need I say more?.. {-)....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:03 pm »

Took a little time to re tune the television. Decided to get the manual and take it from there, no problem and re-tuned. Two things. I'll keep all the manuals in the correct place and have marked up the retuning pages, saves a lot of time. The boxes that sit on the TVs there dead easy compaired to the television. Next time it'll be a doodle. The returners amongst us does your ITV + 3 ( i think) is it missing its ITV +3 on the station list.

Seaspray

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 04:33:42 pm »

I think it should ave been ITV3 + 1

Been retuning the tv down stairs its needing to sit for a while to charge its internal batteries as its not self tuning .

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:11:09 pm »

Is it Not ITV 1  ,ITV 2 , & ITV 3  ?  rather than the +

Heres a link to all the channels as of 30-09-09

http://www.freeview.co.uk/_retuneinfo/_format/downloads/ChannelGuide30September.pdf

Just gone through the listings , see what you mean I have a itv 2+1

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 06:18:53 pm »

Apparently, if you receive your Freeview signal from a relay as opposed to a main transmitter some channels, particularly ITV ones, may be missing. I think it's something to do with the available bandwith in different localities so if they aren't there they may be gone for good!

Colin

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:10:56 pm »

Long Build,

That channel guide is very useful I have printed it off, thanks for the link.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »

Can't seem to find the " Mayhem Channel " must be on the next update   :-))

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 08:19:47 am »

I think I've sussed it.

Its ITV2 + 1 moved from ch 27 to ch 33 although I've still got it listed on ch 27 without it on the station  list.
Select it and it advises you it has moved. I'll just find the way of deleting it from ch 27

Don't think its been a great up grade as the good channels are spread out more amongst the rubbish.

I am receiving from Bluebell and I think its a largish relay station later I'll swing the Ariel around and re tune to over London way which i think is a main transmiter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 08:38:03 am »

Bluebell transmitter details with coverage map  here: http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ757613

If you are thinking of re alighning your aerial to Crystal Palace http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ339712 it appears to require a different aerial group although still horizontal configuration. The North Downs appear to blank off coverage to the South East though.

Colin

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:35 am »

Both  the Bluebell and Crystal Palace signals are good here and having a multi gain 18 element (suitable for all transmitters / relays)

Only difference is you get some different regional programmes, mostly the news.

I searched the loft for the best reception from both transmitters and was surprised to how good the signals were, it must be the water tanks and pipes. 

But saying that I am looking to Sky now. Not for the telly but BB and phone. We don't get cable out here in the sticks. That sky offers a package and by the time you finish talking to them its twice as much you had planned for.  {:-{

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:22 pm »

Just done two retunes in adjacent houses, no problems at all. Total time around five minutes. Local firm was quoting up to £50 a throw to do the job, why does an operation like this bring out all the nasties from the woodwork?

Re your shift to Sky Seaspray.
Be very wary, my partner did this at Easter. What a total load of **** they are. TV is ok, broadband is lousy - the setup was a nightmare, don't look for detailed instructions in the package because if you run into any problems that are not included in the (very basic) instruction book with the router you can bank on a rather long phone chat with them. True, the technical staff are with it (young lady went through every step with me). The phone package needs a close look at the small print - as do all of the Sky adverts in the newspapers.
Suggestion for you, obtain a high power magnifying glass to read the (very) small print!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 02:07:35 pm »

Made enquiries and Sky only does BB and Phone if you take the telly.

Had sky for years before they went into BB and phone. No prob in those days unless it rained and lost the signal.

These good deals are iffy at times. Heard so much about different companies and the rubbish service they give.

Just trying to get the old bills down a bit.

Tresco internet £17.58 never any probs cost for support

BT landline rental £ 11.50 p.m with bills of £ 19.00 a quarter. Thats trying to keep the phone useage to minimum with no free evenings and weekends only 0845 nos free at weekends.

No cable out here in the sticks

Seaspray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.