Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loyal Tender NavLights  (Read 6652 times)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Loyal Tender NavLights
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:31:31 am »

I am coming to the part in this build where I need to install the lights.  I can see from Model Slipway's drawings and photos that the Loyal had two sets of masthead/steaming lights, as if she were lighted for towing.  But I don't see the yellow towing light above the stern light.  This would be required by 72COLREGS, which went into effect in 1977.  So were the Loyals built before 72COLREGS, or is there another explanation why the towing light is absent?  And why did they use double lanterns for most of the lights?

If it were lighted per 72COLREGS, it would look like this:  (FILE COULD NOT BE ATTACHED-TOO LARGE.  WHY DOES MAYHEM LIMIT FILES TO SUCH A SMALL SIZE????)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Loyal Tender NavLights
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:35 am »

WHY DOES MAYHEM LIMIT FILES TO SUCH A SMALL SIZE????

Because the storage has to be paid for and this isn't a commercial site!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:29:36 am »

Loyal Moderator was built in 1975.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:42:58 pm »

If it were lighted per 72COLREGS, it would look like this:  (FILE COULD NOT BE ATTACHED-TOO LARGE.  WHY DOES MAYHEM LIMIT FILES TO SUCH A SMALL SIZE????)

See: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16854.0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 03:50:30 pm »

"And why did they use double lanterns for most of the lights?"

One lamp would be electric and the other oil for emergencies

colin-d

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22:16 am »

visit this site and you will see that most of the 79' Fleet Tenders (Clovelly Class) were Built before 1977
http://www.mvfintry.com/classlist.htm

and just to top it all off i have Built the Modelslipways Fleet Tender, which you can see here;

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Modellers/Colin_East/1ndex.htm

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »

"And why did they use double lanterns for most of the lights?"

One lamp would be electric and the other oil for emergencies

....or one would be 115 volts and the other 24volts off the emergency batteries.

Barry M

farrow

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 11:16:50 am »

Having worked on MoD fleet tenders and other similar craft, one light operated on ships mains, the other was the emergency battery powered light (same as all modern ships). Also the yellow stern light for tugs when first introduced I believe was optional and were not fitted to the F/T's, beside which after the Marchioness incident on the Thames, all F/T's were quickly phased out as having no double bottoms etc because of the report and reccommendations of the incident report.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 02:42:24 am »

Old Dodes,
Can you supply more details of the Marchioness incident on the Thames?  I am unaware of this.  As to the yellow towing light being optional, I believe that is true for a vessel that is not designed to be primarily engaged in towing.  Is that the case for the Loyals?

farrow

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:52:10 pm »

The Loyals where standard fleet tenders operated by the RNXS (Royal Navy Auxiliary Service), in times of tension they would be used as harbour inspection vessels, ie interrogate in coming vessels examine them then give them an anchorage or berth. They where not intended for towing by this department. Though all F/T's where fitted with a small tow hook on the aft end of the accommodation, as the RMAS would use them to tow small objects very occasionally. As to the yellow stern light the Sal class vessels frequently used to tow bomb targets etc around the coast and they where never fitted with them, the yellow light may be fitted now as standard, but when first introduced, I do believe the M Notice I read said it was optional, expect now it is compulsory for new tonnage.
 After the Marchioness incident, there was a new requirement for small passenger boats to have a certain amount of reserve buoyancy in event of a collision. The RN F/t's did not comply with this figure, so the MoD sold them all very quickly, although it turned out the requirement is for new tonnage not old tonnage. If it did I doubt wether some of the present old preserved tonnage could still operate.

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »

Hi CGAux26,
The Marchioness incident refers to a collision on the River Thames, 20 years ago yesterday, when the dredger 'Bowbelle' collided with a Thames pleasure boat the 'Marchioness' on which a disco party was being held by a large group of friends and work colleagues.  The result was that the Marchioness was capsized and sunk with a large loss of life by the young people on board - I believe, in excess of 100, but I am not sure of the figure.
Derek.    :police:

farrow

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:13:10 pm »

Yeah they tried to stitch up the dredger master for it, when the poor fellow could do absolutely nothing to stop it and the boat master was drowned so he could not be questioned for his actions. The ferry boat stopped in front of a large dredger when she was committed to the bridge entrance, unfortunately the dredger could not stop in time or alter course. The real culprits in my mind was the PLA and the MCA, but never mind it is history now and like all disasters we must learn from it. Now there is a proper vessel control system in place and the standards on the ferry boats construction etc have been improved.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:37:09 pm »

I have been the skipper of one of these boats which carried out Trinity House work, the nav lights were all doubled up as some one says in am earlier reply with 115v main lights and 24v emergency lights, yes they had towing lights, and yes a yellow towing light was fitted at the stern.
These vessels were 440v three phase and transformed to 115v for domestic use and 24v for lighting and engine starting, yes the Ruston main engine was electric start. I believe some vessels were all 24volt.

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 07:05:14 am »

OK, Andy, a different question:  What is the correct flag to be flown from a Loyal tender, that is still in the service of the Royal Navy, as when it was built?

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:17:52 am »

I don't know the answer to that, not being ex RN , I am Merchant Navy.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

farrow

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »

The RN had three of the last built attached to HMS Rayleigh for training boy seaman, they where painted grey with white ensign. The RNX had a few and flew a blue ensign defaced by thier ensigna. the rest where operated first by the Port Auxilliary service which came the RMAS and flew thier version of a blue ensign. The RN did use the odd F/T for weekend ban-yan runs such as the Glencoe when it was based at Portland pre 1978, but she was painted Black and Buff and came under the auspice of RMAS Portland.

farrow

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 10:33:05 pm »

As to yellow lights, when I piloted them around the coast pre 1980, they where not fitted with these colour lights. As to the Sal class vessels I was a master on these from 2000 to 2004 and did a quick flip in 2007, they where not then fitted with this colour light and yes I towed large bomb targets and other large mooring bouys around the coast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.