Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesro Magnum  (Read 17686 times)

das boot

Re: Lesro Magnum
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:45 am »

Martin, old chap.. %)..you'll be pleased to learn that the Magnum has been moved from the top of the wardrobe onto the slipway, just ordered the rest of the bits I need from CMB to complete it. Final fitting out will commence next week.

See...you've stirred me into action!!!   {-)

Rich

das boot

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 01:57:05 pm »

For Martin...pretty stickers!! Looks a wee bit better now. The bits to finish it should be here during the week, CMB are always very rapid in getting stuff to the customer, so with a bit of luck it should be ready to go next weekend.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 03:48:38 pm »

Slight modification to the deck stickers...

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 04:41:53 pm »

Ok, I suppose you are all wondering as to what happened to the Magnum...you were wondering, weren't you? Of course you were... %)

The first water trials were an unmitigated disaster, I'm ashamed to say  <:(  The adhesive properties of council silicone sealant and Lesro styrene are non-existant, coupled with the heat from the motor, caused the top to separate from the hull, which wasn't part of the plan. Back to the drawing board, cap in hand...

I never could get on with the inner hull moulding, the motor sat too high, the motor mount was pretty useless and the whole thing just got in the way, so I took a craft knife to it, ran the blade around the top edge and removed the whole lot. Much better, much more room to fit a decent motor mount, the motor and the prop shaft sit a lot lower in the hull, the water cooling pipes fit better and the internal access is vastly improved. When it's completed I'll just use a flat styrene sheet taped down as a top cover.

The pic shows the new look Magnum with the motor sat in the hull awaiting the watercooled motor mount and the watercooling motor tube to arrive. I plan on using ten cells to run the boat, they will sit in two boxes made from styrene sheet and held down with velcro to allow them to be positioned to get the CofG right. The motor is a 'hot' Tamiya 540, the rudder is a cut down micro one from ebay and the watercooling pipes are alloy tubing.

That's how is it at the moment...

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 11:24:16 am »

Got a day off work today, so got a bit more done to the boat...made up the motor mount, swapped the coupling over, rudder hooked up, rudder servo installed and the watercooling inlet pipe done.

Rich

andyn

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 01:45:46 pm »

Hey there's that servo of mine again, its getting around a bit isn't it  ;) ;)

Looking good Rich :-))

Patrick Henry

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 01:58:10 pm »

Hey there's that servo of mine again, its getting around a bit isn't it  ;) ;)

Looking good Rich :-))

It's lost a bit of it's external decoration Andy, but it still works perfectly... :-))

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 03:10:28 pm »

I'd give that chocolate block the elbow if I was you. They're not the best thing for carrying high current. Get some deans plugs- inexpensive and bulletproof.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 03:47:58 pm »

Fear not Andy, it's only there to hold the wires together...once wired up properly, I have several sets of gold-plated bullet connectors which will be used.

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

Bit more done, got all the watercooling pipes installed, made up a little bracket to support the water inlet pipe and to keep it out of harm's way and stop it getting hooked up in the rudder linkage.

The motor is now fitted with a proper coupling, and is fitted into the modified motor mount. It sits much lower in the hull than Lesro planned it to be.

Just waiting on the water cooling coil to be made up now, then I can attach the pipes. Next job is to make up the battery securing trays and attach the velcro to hold them down in the hull.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 05:03:04 pm »

Nothing much done today as yet. The 40mhz rx arrived today from BB, so just stuck the velcro pads for the rx into place, on the opposite side to the rudder servo. Doesn't really warrant a pic...does it.

Had a few promising ideas for the material for the hatch cover, so really that will be the next job..oh, and the antennae pipe.

Rich

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »

Looking good Rich, just a thought though, I would add some extra supports to the motor mount (longitudinally) as you might get probs there with vibration cracking the joint.
 :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Patrick Henry

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »

I was thinking of adding a couple triangular supports each side of the mount Phil...as you say, just to give it that little bit extra support.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 04:11:24 pm »

Got the motor watercooling coil made up and fitted and the water pipes hooked up, but I only had room for three turns of pipe around the motor.  {:-{..fingers crossed that will be enough. 

Rich

andyn

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:40 am »

Slide it down to the middle, there's not an awful lot there at the end  O0

Patrick Henry

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

Bought some 1/16th alloy tubing off ebay, and being as it's a slightly smaller diameter, it should allow me to get a few more turns on the motor.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 11:13:45 pm »

So Rich
How's it coming along ?
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 06:09:36 am »

The adhesive properties of council silicone sealant and Lesro styrene are non-existant, coupled with the heat from the motor, caused the top to separate from the hull, which wasn't part of the plan. Back to the drawing board, cap in hand...

What glue did you use afterwards?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 07:07:05 am »

Sorry fellas, didn't see these two posts until just now...

I made three watercooling coils and abandoned every one due to design or manufacturing faults (or in other words I naffed  each one up in one way or another!) However, a cunning plan has been formulated...see pic below. 

I haven't glued the two halves together as yet until everything is finished inside, it makes for easier installation of everything. One the w/cooling ring is fitted, there's just the battery packs to install and wire in...and that's it.

I'll take some more pics later on when it gets light.

Rich

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.