Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resin Casting  (Read 7413 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Resin Casting
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:31:38 pm »

We have experts on here at just about everything, so who can point me in the direction of a good tutorial on resin casting. I'm thinking along the lines of casting guns and similar items, but know nothing of the techniques involved, or even where to buy the necessary materials.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Resin Casting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:37:27 pm »

These people have an interesting guide which includes moulding. You can download it as PDF file. http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:33:13 pm »

Thanks Colin - it's pretty comprehensive, isn't it?

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:04:26 am »

Yes Rick, I was originally after info on GRP for my 1:1 scale boat, the G4 sealer looks good for sorting out some minor leaks. Then I saw the stuff about casting too. Must get round to trying it.

Jankers

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:48 am »

Another supplier is Alex Tiranti, they have booklets available and seel lots of stuff,

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/indexhome.asp

J.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 11:25:29 am »

Thanks Jankers, another good source.

Rick

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 01:56:56 pm »

i do alot of resin casting,  i used to use tirantis for my supplies of resins and silicons, now use www.tomps.com
 very very good, he also has an ebay store...

www.tomps.com/store/ebay.html

if you need to know anything then ask and i will try and answer....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 02:05:57 pm »

Thanks Guy,

Not sure what I need to know yet, as I haven't tried it. My plans, in so far as I have any, is to cast the 6" guns for my 1:48 cruiser - if I ever start it! I would also like to cast some 1:48 sailors.

Is there a good book on the subject, specific to modelling? Or some articles somewhere?

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:40:31 am »

to be honest tirantis do literature on the subject, available on request, also tomps have a website  full of useful FAQ's and suggestions about moulding and casting, but the thing i find most useful is  experimentation  there are several types of resins and different grades of room temperature vulcanising silicon so finding out what is best for your application takes abit of trial and error, but i guess for  production of fittings then fairly standard stuff will be fine, - you can get resins with differnet qualities eg lightweight, or with flex or super rigid so you can drill and thread parts or whatever.....

tomps range of standard soft silicon is good, it allows for undercuts and fine detail to be reproduced, the fast cast resins are good too, about a 12 min cure time,  the resin does not affect the silicon too much so you can get a fair number off pulls befre the mould deteriorates.....

-( some resins kill moulds alot quicker, the silicon will deteriorate with repeated use with resin as it cures)

have fun with it ! and any problems feel free to ask !

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 11:56:52 am »

I'd like to cast some scale engines for a boat - I have all the pieces made for the master to take a mould from....

The main engine block etc seems fairly easy to make a casting from, but what I'm confused with are the smaller items... Tiny little bits like carburettors, pipework etc. So for example, if I have a peice of piping which is less than 1/8" diameter, with multiple bends in it, and about 2"-3" long, how would I go about making a suitable mould and casting that?

Regards
Eddy

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 03:59:46 pm »

I guess you all saw the article in the October Model Boats about resin casting ;)

Barrie

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 12:04:27 am »

Barrie,

Completely forgot about it, having read the M15 article and filed the magazine away - yet another senior moment!

Thanks

Rick

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 04:12:48 pm »

I'd like to cast some scale engines for a boat - I have all the pieces made for the master to take a mould from....

The main engine block etc seems fairly easy to make a casting from, but what I'm confused with are the smaller items... Tiny little bits like carburettors, pipework etc. So for example, if I have a peice of piping which is less than 1/8" diameter, with multiple bends in it, and about 2"-3" long, how would I go about making a suitable mould and casting that?

Regards
Eddy
if you use a good quality resin it is do-able ! i would recommend using clear silicon so you can see the original embedded in the rubber,
so take you original and mount  ready for encapsulation in silicon,i use styrene rod for my mounts....  the mount will also become you fill point, so ideally mount from one end or from a point from which any surplus material or flash can be easily removed, make a set of walls or shuttering that surrounds the original, this will become the container for you to pour your silicon into, so no gaps anywhere !

when you are happy  mix your silicon ( transparent stuff ideally with a small part ) and let it cure, also being transparent you can see if any air has been trapped in the silicon - if so aggitiate gently or vibrate until all airbubbles rise to the surface ( or if you have access to a vacuum chamber put it in and under vacuum this forces air bubbles to the surface)
once the silicon is cured carefully cut through the silicon with a sharp scalpel,  so as to cut the mould in half, ( i always cut with a wavy cut line so the mould will only ever go back in one  position ,this way guarentees correct location of the two mould halves too.

once the mould is cut in half remove the original from the silicon and remove the mount which now becomes the fill point .... then replace the 2 halves of mould together and use  adhesive tape to join the silicon and to seal the cut, get the two mould sections tightly together and the tape holds them in place.... leave the fill point untaped,  then mix your casting resin then pour or inject with a syringe the resin  into the fill point, the resin will then fill the void left by the master,check there are no bubbles in your casting resin, if so gently aggitate to remove air bubble - once cured remove the tape and split the mould, remove the resin part, clean off any flash and cut off any surplus resin from the fill point and hey presto you have a resin copy of your original...i have cast tiny details  before for an N scale model railway the details were 3 mm tall and 4 mm long, no problem doing these....good luck and have fun !

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 05:11:14 pm »

Thats superb Guy, many many thanks!

A great tip about using clear silicon, it should make life a lot easier for these tiny complicated parts!

Regards
Eddy

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 07:47:39 pm »

Yes, Thanks again Guy and everyone else -  I think between you you have covered just about everything.

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 08:12:46 pm »

Yes, useful info. I have printed a lot of it out for future reference. Thanks!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 08:25:55 pm »

Good idea, Colin. Perhaps Martin could ask Guy to knock up a proper tutorial/fact sheet that could go into Technical Bits on the Mayhem site?

Rick

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 08:38:28 pm »

Guy, when you say 'mount', do you mean physically attach the styrene rod the original? Whats the minimum size rod you can get resin down easily? Does the container walls need to come apart again to remove the silicone mould or do you simply tap it out? Once the mould is made you do you still have need for the box or will the mould hold its shape on its own?
Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.