Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: new member - Brian  (Read 10169 times)

Spook

Re: new member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 11:58:34 pm »

Two score years and twelve here (at the end of the month). I try to avoid tablets as much as possible, however the odd paracetamol after too many glasses of bumblejuice tends to help.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 09:35:35 am »

Welcome Brian, just picked up on your post. Beware the Mayhem site and it's inmates, it can be addictive and they can get you laughing your head off at times.... great bunch of blokes!
I'm three score and not on any tablets... feeling a bit left out here :((!!
Perhaps I should go and buy a tube of Smarties so If we all ever meet up in the same place , I can be popping round things and feel like one of the crowd.
Chris

BrianCartwright

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 01:29:33 pm »

Right then.Just one more shot.This mayham is addictive.(I was warned)

Spook,try to keep off pills as long as possible.There is a side effect that nobody mentions and it isn't medical.Try this!
Tablets,pills and the like usually come as night and day types.Morning,midday,teatime,bedtime and ones you take only when the wife has gone to her mothers for the weekend.A typical day can start like this-:
6am.the alarm goes off.You reach out half asleep to put on the bedside lamp.In so doing you knock your spectacles on to the floor.You reach out for them and a couple of boxes of pills follow the specs, You grope about to recover every thing being careful where you grope at that time of the morning.As you pick up the boxes some pills fall out,so you get out of bed to retrieve same and crunch some into the carpet.The brightly coloured ones leave a nice round stain on the carpet which is hard to remove. You notice that one or two have rolled under the bed which you cann't quite reach,with your slipper you manage to recover some which are covered in fluff.Wiping off the fluff you see that they are different to the ones you have been taking.No one can lay claim to them and so are disposed of.
Now to the pills themselves.Some give you headaches or indigestion or a burst of energy.One effect can cause an urgent dash to the bathroom which culminates in a noxious aroma.Adding a shot of perfumed air freshner only makes things worse.You are left with two choices particularly in the winter,open the window and freeze to death or just think of England and slowly suffocate.Fortunately all this doesn't happen every day.The rest of the week will seem quite dull and boreing.Isn't life fanta

BrianCartwright

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 01:37:59 pm »

Wullie,
You sound like a 24 carrot old sea dog to me Yo.Ho.Ho. and a wee dram of what you fancy does you a power of good and puts hair on your chest

Chris,
Be very careful with Smarties.especially the orange ones,they're dinamite.
I once ate a whole tube in one go and I've never been the same since.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »

Brian, I think the killjoys who run everything these days have made Smerties safe now. On the subject of Smarties, is it my age/immagination or do these things not taste the same as they used to and are they actually smaller in size?. I was given a tube by the grandchildren, not only do they taste 'iffy' but the beloved tube with the pop off lid has been replaced by some hexagonal thing with a tear off end. You can't play 'pop guns' with it anymore!! Probably some 'elf n safety' moron decided it might take a kids eye out.
To sum up: Smaties... wrong taste, seem smaller, safe to eat, safe packaging...... not much of an experience anymore really.

BTW.... I think Walnt Whips have also changed, hadn't had one for years, bought one a while back... absolutely lousy!!

Cor, I need to get a life men, losin it here!! %%

rsm

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »

I used to play "pop guns" with Smartie tubes with my little brother. I've come over all nostalgic now!!!!! What about Wagon Wheels?? They used to be bigger too, right?????

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 04:44:40 pm »

Yup, I'm certain they were... or have we just grown bigger since those days. I'm convinced they too taste naffer than before .

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »

Brian, you obviously didn't realise what you were getting into when you signed up.... see how your post has been hi-jacked and run off at a tangent.... true Mayhem style! {:-{

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: new member - Brian
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 01:12:26 am »

***topic name changed***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Wasyl

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2009, 02:34:57 am »

Wullie,
You sound like a 24 carrot old sea dog to me Yo.Ho.Ho. and a wee dram of what you fancy does you a power of good and puts hair on your chest

You will probably notice,that the older you get,hair grows in the places you Don,t want it to grow in,and the places you Do want it to grow,it Does,nt,
and No amount of Malt Whisky will make it do otherwise,mind any excuse will do, {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 02:40:19 am »

I used to play "pop guns" with Smartie tubes with my little brother. I've come over all nostalgic now!!!!! What about Wagon Wheels?? They used to be bigger too, right?????
Its not that Wagon Wheels used to be bigger,"think"it was just that our child sized hands were smaller,and the Wagon Wheels were bigger {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 02:46:13 am »

Brian, I think the killjoys who run everything these days have made Smerties safe now. On the subject of Smarties, is it my age/immagination or do these things not taste the same as they used to and are they actually smaller in size?. I was given a tube by the grandchildren, not only do they taste 'iffy' but the beloved tube with the pop off lid has been replaced by some hexagonal thing with a tear off end. You can't play 'pop guns' with it anymore!! Probably some 'elf n safety' moron decided it might take a kids eye out.
To sum up: Smaties... wrong taste, seem smaller, safe to eat, safe packaging...... not much of an experience anymore really.

BTW.... I think Walnt Whips have also changed, hadn't had one for years, bought one a while back... absolutely lousy!!

Cor, I need to get a life men, losin it here!! %%
Your Not Wrong when you say the killjoys have ruined it all,Ican just remember way back,"think 50,s"when a bottle of Coke and an Aspirin went down a treat,

Wullie

BrianCartwright

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »

Hi!.
It's me again.A couple of photos of my

Hi!.
It's me again.A couple of photographs of my St.Necton as promised.Hope you like them.

BrianCartwright

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »

Sorry about the cock up. I'm gonner get me a computer secretary,(hopefully a rich young widow who having had her wicked way with me will keep me in model boat kits for the next millenium)
regards Brian

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 08:08:24 pm »

Hey that's great, Brian. You've made a smashing job of her there.

I'm trying to make this model as I mentioned earlier and have one or two parts that I cannot identify.   If I post the little part pictures on my blog could you assist please.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

BrianCartwright

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 08:40:21 pm »

Ken,I'll be glad to help if you can tell me how to access your blog,er-- single sylable words if you would, you can see what a mess I made of this posting.That's the sort of thing that amazes my computer mentor.(my son)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 10:40:57 am »

Ken,I'll be glad to help if you can tell me how to access your blog,er-- single sylable words if you would, you can see what a mess I made of this posting.That's the sort of thing that amazes my computer mentor.(my son)

Thanks, Brian.  I'll got and photo the bits now.

Here's the blog page. It's on this site under  'Working Boats'.  You see the St Nectan listed.  

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19742.50

ken

BrianCartwright

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:52 am »

Hi! all,
Another couple of photos of my St.Nectan.
I've shown the mast because it may be of special interest.I wanted a full set of working lights.There were two obstacles to overcome.
First was the top light is a tricoloured lense set up.I couldn't find any translucent paint anywhere so I had to split the lamp into three parts which was extreemly fiddly but I managed to do it  after four or five attempts.I then inserted three bulbs,1 clear
,one green and one red.
The next snag was how to get ten wires from the lights down the mast to the hull.
I used a lenght of alluminium tube,clad it in strips of 2mm hard wood strip,sanded it all to the correct profile and threaded the wires down the tube.Easy peasy init?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 08:37:05 am »

Brian as a matter of interest Tamiya do what they call clear paints for brake light lenses, indicator lenses etc.

X-23 Clear Blue

X-24 Clear Yellow

X-25 Clear Green

X-26 Clear Orange

X-27 Clear Red

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

BrianCartwright

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »

Thanks Richard, when I started the build I didn't know my gunnals from my boot lining and had to rely on phonr calls to suppliers who were a bit vague as to what I was really after.I hadn't even heard of Model Boat Mayhem at the time.

BrianCartwright

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »

More photos.
Do you know,most people have a learning curve including me only mine is a straight line-----vertically.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 11:51:37 am »

Do you know,most people have a learning curve including me only mine is a straight line-----vertically.

Straight to the top, by the look of it. Very impressive work, Brian. I'm getting all sorts of clues from your build.   ok2   Helps me a lot.  Tri-colour light eh !!. missed that one.  %)

Keep it up

Ken

BrianCartwright

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 03:02:51 pm »

2 more
The first one is how I set the mast at the correct angles which also allowed me to complete the rigging without worrying about the mast leaning hither and thither.
The second is just a general view of the wheelhouse and funnel area

BrianCartwright

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2009, 03:55:36 pm »

Well,thats about it for photos.I didn't take many,wish I had now..
The whole project has been a marvelous experience.I've made a few mistakes but only I know where most of them are.
MFM boats are definately a builders kit (boat that is)I found that to deviate from the excellent instructions was to make difficulties later,which I did on the odd occasion. As a novice model boater I should have known better.
There attention to detail is awesome.
Thank you for all your interest,especially my ramblings.I've started a MFM Cruiser tug boat for my next boat. I'll probably put something on the working boat section from time to time,it seems to be the appropriate place.

By for now
regards to all
Brian
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.