Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale model rope link  (Read 6692 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Scale model rope link
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »

I found this website site through ebay and turns out he sells a variety of super quality scale rope in a variety of sizes. I thought it may come in handy to some people on here, yes, it's not cheap but it's made a huge difference on the Smit i'm rebuilding.

http://www.miskinmodels.com/page4.htm

Voyager

barryfoote

Re: Scale model rope link
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:01 am »

A cracking link. Added to my favourites thanks... :-)) :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:44:58 am »

Interestingly enough I have recently purchased a few lengths of rigging cord from this supplier and although it does look good when fitted it is a bit of a pain to work with.  As soon as you cut the stuff it unwinds itself so the end has to be always tied in a knot which then makes threading it that bit more of a challenge.  I tried putting a spot of cyano on the end but that slows down the process to an unacceptable level so if anyone has used this stuff it would be interesting to hear how they used it and what process they came up with for handling it.

Apart from that this particular vendor has a superb range of detail items and when I placed an order for a number of things and one was out of stock they actually phoned me on a Sunday afternoon to inform me of the fact and discuss alternatives. 

Great service and a great selection of modelling materials.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:03 am »

I have bought Proxxon tools from this guy . great prices and great service . I have bought the scale rope but have yet to use it , be interested in any other comments about this rope use .

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:13:20 am »

The seller marks his rope packets with a warning label recommending the use of Cyno on the rope ends before cutting it. I've never had a problem providing at all with this method, but then again i used "Ultra Thin" Zap Super Glue so maybe that's the key!

Voyager

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:13 am »

Thanks Voyager, maybe thinner cyano is the key.  I need to have a play!  The rope does look superb though so well worth getting it to work conveniently.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:34:37 am »

yep thin cyno if you put it on past where you want to cut, it wicks back and its then not noticable.I make a small puddle on a bit of scrap then use a pin it only needs a spot, you cannot see it done this way.

Peter

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:06 am »

Thin CA is definatley the key hear. As suggested let it wick back, I tend to use a good drop.
If you are needing to thread it, try a slash cut at an angle in stead of a straight cut, it give you a nice pointed end for threading.

I have also bought stuff from this guy and was very happy with prices and service.

Word of warning, for scale sailors especially, ropes made in natural fibres shrink when wet.
For standing rigging use synthetics to avoid potential damage to mounting points or even a mast penetrating the desk or the bottom of the hull when rigging shortens.

Some of these model ropes are best suited to static models.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.