Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonding aluminium to wood?  (Read 7252 times)

Scottie

Bonding aluminium to wood?
« on: November 21, 2006, 08:16:51 pm »

My latest build is a large container vessel - Sydney Express at 100th scale. Due to complex curves in the hull I am building a plywood 'frame' which I intend to skin with aluminium sheet.

Can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive for bonding thin alum inium sheeting to wood.

TIA,

Scottie

Stavros

Re: Bonding aluminium to wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:05:14 am »

Personally I would go down to a motor factor and ask for some bonding glue used in the car trade.This product is used believe it or not to glue,yes you did read it right body panels,such as wings,roofs,quarter panels etc to the shell of the car,this stuff really is strong and is approved by the ins companies.
Not believing the blurb my ex boss bonded a 2mm piece of metal to a steel girder and the next day tried to pull it off with a 15 ton puller,he failed miserably the metal broke first!!!! we all laughed as the look on his face was a picture.
One of the cheapest makes isby tetrosil sold by Brown Bros sold in araldite type packs,there are as with all products that are usefull,you must have a special gun to apply,you might be able to scam on efrom the supplier ;)the main drawback is that every time that you use this product is that you have to use a new tip,now these are internal mixing tips,so what I am saying is if you apply it on your model now don't expect to reuse the tip again it goes off in the mixing tube as soon as you stop pulling the trigger!!!!
There is usually plenty of time to move the article that you are bonding,to enable the best fit etc.This product is also available in different curing times.
Another factor is it's expense,but you pay the price for quality products

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 10:13:47 am »

In my local Homebase the other day I noticed a range of Evo Stik adhesives in sealant tubes. One of which was a metal adhesive - not strictly relevant here as it's intended for metal to metal or non porous surfaces. Does anyone have any views on how effective these "grab" type adhesives are in a modelling situation? The metal one is advertised as being "better" than welding which sounds a bit like Stavros' description above. They are not too expensive either.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:07:40 pm »

Ive used this on brass and very thin fiberglass sheet for decks I like it because it is waterproof and salt waterproof so is ideal  have a look at the speck  Peter

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22068&filter_cat=&manufacturer_id=Wudcare&name=&user_search=&sfile=1&jump=0

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »

the best stuff in the world for bonding aluminium sheet to ply is "interior/exterior" double sided tape. I have used it for years and it is impossible to remove without damaging something....works just as good with Plasticard (or just about anything else for that matter. Watch the "grab speed" though. Its fast. I also use it for plating my fibreglass hull plugs.
But that is another subject.
Notes from a simple seaman

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:52:05 pm »

good tip that Bryan.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 03:54:49 pm »

I also use it for plating my fibreglass hull plugs.

Prey tell, this is all new to me.
I am interested.
If it is another subject you could start another thread
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:38:53 pm »

To get accurate plating you need to have a Shell Expasion Plan". If you are building a ship from plans obtained from a museum, council archives or a University etc. an expansion plan is often offered but seldom accepted. Or you could draw a pretty good likeness yourself. This really should be a new topic as it can get quite convoluted.   Bryan Young.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 04:06:10 pm »

I also use it for plating my fibreglass hull plugs.

Prey tell, this is all new to me.
I am interested.
If it is another subject you could start another thread

What? After the last one I need to get my breath back a bit. But lets start by saying you have to watch the size of the rivets. I've seen commercially produced hulls where, if they were scaled up to full size, the rivet heads would be over 3" diameter. BY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.