Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Glue?  (Read 3813 times)

Bradley

Which Glue?
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:09 pm »

I am getting towards the final build stages of my 1:16 Cygnus GM33.  I intend laminating the bulwarks out of 1mm thick mahogany and my problem is which glue to use for the first lamination onto the hull.  I have considered epoxy and cyano - the problem with the first is clamping the laminations up until the glue has cured and with the second - I hate cyano - it seems to go everywhere you don't want it to and sticks to everything (including me) and it sticks things together without any chance of positioning or adjusting.  Subsequent laminations are no problem as they will be wood to wood (I can cope with that  :-)).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated  O0.
Derek.    :police:

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Which Glue?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:12 pm »

For wood to wood joins use aliphatic glue, any excess can be wiped away with a damp cloth. The joints are stronger than the wood.

For an example check out the Delux Materials website: http://www.deluxematerials.com/

Colin

Bradley

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:05:11 pm »

Thanks for your advice, Colin.  The problem is not wood to wood at the moment but wod laminations to grp (fibreglass) hull.  {:-{

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:24:01 am »

Hi Derek,

Try Loctite's All Purpose glue- sets like epoxy- glues like cyano and it's good value for money too- theyre nice big tubes.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

andygh

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:48:17 am »

Not much help I know but I always go for epoxy where I can clamp it and cyano where I have to hold it.

Try tacking it on with cyano and when its stuck in position run some more along the joint, it should work it's way into the joint via capillary action

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:16:44 am »

Hi...I understand we are now in the year 2009...however 40 years ago at school in 'Woodwork' .....we did not have .....PVA, cyanocry...... [super glue] or epoxy resins

Our glue of supply was a foul smelling GOOP that was reheated in a water immersed electric container......

We were told that it was made from melted down animal [horse hooves]  %%

mmmmmmmmmmm progress in life >>:-(....animal glue between timber joints were resistant water

Our current 2009 PVA, cyanocacylate [super glue] or epoxy resins fail in comparison to the 1965 melted down animal [horse hooves] glue that I used  all those years ago........O0 {-) .......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

colin-d

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:55:52 am »

wood planking Decks to Plastic Decks (or fiberglass decks)  i use UHU plus endfest 300  http://www.uhu.com/_uk/indexx.html

it is a little expensive but it does the job for me..

Wasyl

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 11:10:27 am »

Horse/Cow glue,is still available it comes in granules that look like course brown sugar,but it sure as h***does,nt smell like brown sugar,just be sure to melt it in a well ventilated room,or else i think you might end up sleeping elsewhere when the missus finds out {-)

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 11:31:32 am »

Check out the Deluxe materials site for advice on using glues. Sounds like their Super Crylic is what you need.

http://www.deluxematerials.com/products_spa.html

Colin

Bradley

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 01:33:31 pm »

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions.  I don't think I will be trying any 'horsey' stuff  {:-{ but I will certainly have a look at deluxematerials  :-)).

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:40 pm »

No Horsey Stuff,coward, {-) {-) {-)

Wullie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.