Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Welsh Members  (Read 1688 times)

Wasyl

Any Welsh Members
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:32:32 pm »

Hi guys,what i,m after is the recipe for a classic Welsh,Stew,i believe it  sounds like Cowl,So ifthere are any Welsh members out there,could you please ask your wives/partners, that i,m looking for the recipe,
I know that its a Lamb stew with loads of veggies,but just need to hear it from someone who knows,

Wullie

wideawake

Re: Any Welsh Members
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »

Hi guys,what i,m after is the recipe for a classic Welsh,Stew,i believe it  sounds like Cowl,So ifthere are any Welsh members out there,could you please ask your wives/partners, that i,m looking for the recipe,
I know that its a Lamb stew with loads of veggies,but just need to hear it from someone who knows,

Wullie

Hi Wulliie

Google produced over 13,000 hits for "Welsh cawl" but here's one from a well known TV cook in Wales

http://www.s4c.co.uk/dudley/rm/view_recipe/rid/108/language/eng/

As you rightly say, fundamentally the essential thing is lamb and veg

HTH

Guy

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 11:10:54 pm »

Hi Guy, that will do nicely,although i must say, i did,nt know it was classed as a soup,but i will be doing it tomorrow,

Wullie

Spook

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:03 pm »

Apparently, you can bung in any meat you like, even mixed meats. I once had a cawl (made by the lovely Mrs Spook) which had a small joint of lamb and a small joint of pork (a gammon joint if I remember correctly) and some onions, swede and potatoes. You take out the meat joints when the cawl is cooked, eat the broth as a starter, then tuck into the meat, which should be very tender by now. Nothing with it but lots of crusty bread - MMMMMMMMM!

tomo55

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:26:23 am »

Hi , My Mum always made it with beef (Brisket or stewing beef)most veg especially leeks stock and away you go leave it on simmer for as long as you want add potato 45 mins before you want to eat it as they will break up if in to early.
better on the 2nd or 3rd day,as mentioned before serve with thick bread and butter.
My Mum comes from west wales Llanabyther originally and thats how they make it there.
Im going to make some now its been mentioned,with veg from my garden Yum Yum.
Re the Lamb maybe its a regional variation?
Chris

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:59:57 am »

Hi Chris,i,m making Cawl today,and when i come to think of it,"after you mentioned about the 2nd/3rd day,was better,my gran used to make,what is called "Kale",up here in Scotland,and the ingredients are almost identical, she used boiling beef,neeps tatties carrots,onion,barley,and my Aunt in the Ukraine makes Borscht, which is almost identical,the only difference being,she,uses pork belly,
I will post my results tomorrow,  "If I,m still alive" {-)
BTW,I saw the"Hairy Bikers" make it by the Rver Wye,on the TV the other night,

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:51:42 am »

I am now a Cawl,"convert"I made it yesterday,and have enough to last me until right up to Sunday,I had a big bowl of it last night,and will have another today for my lunch,and by Sunday,I,ll probably be sick at the sight of it, {-) {-)

Wullie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 19 queries.