Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 45301 times)

mogogear

Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:53 am »

This thread stays on my "must check " list...Ships of this period have such evocative curves and design elements !! I am soaking up masterful touches by hopeful osmosis!

Thanks for the inspiring work :-))

colin-d

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:16 am »

it will take me a few weeks before i can post some more pictures.

the next stage is back to the Hull, i will be cutting the windows out that are in the Hull, and then backing them, once the Hull is painted i will then fill the holes in with clear epoxy.
also i still have to fix the torpedo booms in place, the plastic part of the Decks can then be glued in place, then the planking can be added.

work will also continue on the walkway between the forward and rear flyingdecks, plus the rear Flyingdeck its self.

once i have some more photo's of course i will share these with you all..

thanks again for the kind remarks...  :-))

colin-d

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 10:41:43 am »

and the build goes on... here we have the Gangway between the forward and rear Flying deck.

rather tricky to bend the 0,5mm plastic in the right place at the right time, theres still a few little bits to-do yet (fittings) before i can start painting the Gangway, but i think it turned out rather well...

colin-d

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:31 am »

the Rear Flyingdeck is also taking shape... i have started on some of the fittings, the wooden deck has been laid.

the bits of plastic laying in the forground are the parts to go over the steps that go below deck (the two holes in the Deck between the guns)

this weekend i continue work on the Hull and the main decks, and probably seal the wooden deck of this flyingdeck..

marmoi

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »

Coming along very nicely Colin, but then again I would not expect anything less.

Egberth

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 04:22:01 am »

Hi Colin,

very nice built. I hope to see her one day in Wuppertal. I really like the ship and have at least the "original" of the Inflexible, the Duilio on schedule (well, I have the great plans of Jürgen Eichardt and hopefully will find the courage to start her one day).

But one little comment: Could your buff be a little too yellowish? According to contemporary models (f.e. at Greenwich) the buff parts were of a more brown tone, perhaps a light sand tone.

Nevertheless a great model.

Cheers from the vicinity of Wuppertal and best wishes for a "Guten Rutsch"

Dirk

colin-d

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

Hi Egberth,

one day you will see her in Wuppertal... that for certain.. and if you come to Dortmund this year.. she could also be there, not finished of course but at least the main parts that i have so far compleated, i would like to display on the Peterborough stand.

the yellowish buff might be a bit yellowish, but then again it was what the captain had at the time, just like the real thing... the colour Buff was never the same on any two ships, it was always different, because it was the colours that the captain had at the time of painting.

personally i think the Buff / yellowish that i have used look much nicer and stands out in a crowd ;)

colin-d

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »

sorry you all have been wailting for some more updates, but as a working man, one does have other things that are important, plus one has to keep her indoors happy.

time for some more photo's, i have been working on the boots deck, as you can see from the photo's this is now finished and ready for painting.

the railings have been compleated in the same way as all the other railings on this model...

colin-d

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 05:44:48 pm »

i have been working on the main Decks, all the planking has been laid, and the third coat of varnish has just been applied, its still drying while i took the photo's, every day this week when i get home from work, is sand the decks and add the next coat of varnish, Saturday should be finished and it can then be taped up for protection while i finish of the rest of the Hull.

i even tided up my work bench before hand, so the photo's look a little nicer..  ;D

the planking is part of the upgrade kits, "LASER ENGRAVED DECK SHEETS" but i have modified them slightly to cover the decks much nicer, well i think i have done a good job... being as it is my very first planked Deck.  :)

rathikrishna

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »

wow..wooooww...

marmoi

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:58 am »

Very nice looking deck that Colin.

colin-d

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2011, 05:37:54 pm »

Slowly but surely things are taking shape.

I have been working on the Hull again, or even for that matter Still 

so the torpedo Nett booms have been applied, I have made them removable so the hull can be painted a lot easier, in the Kit the booms already have pins on them so all you have to do is drill the hull and apply the booms, not a bad idea if your painting everything one colour, but I have decided to paint them a very dark brown, being as the Hull is black I had work out a way to remove the booms, so with a load of self-made hooks and eyes the booms are now removable.

The steps on the side of the Hull are not shown in the Kit plans, but on photos that I have they are, so I made my self 4 sets out of Micro strips, the top part is 1mm x 0.2mm and the bar below is 0.5 x 0.5mm, these parts were glued together first of all, then they were applied to the Hull.

The wooden decks still have there protective coating, that will all come of once the Hull as been completely painted.

I have also been marking the deck for all the drill holes for the stanchions.

And I still have to enlarge the drilled out portholes and square them of to make square windows, were once the Hull has been painted the holes will be filled with clear drying epoxy.

hope your alle still gob smacked....!!  {-)

Dave13

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2011, 09:37:31 am »

Hi Colin
That looks really lovely  :-) :-)

colin-d

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 04:03:38 pm »

just over a month of waiting for me to post in here..!!  :o  :o   
the waiting is over here another couple of photo's showing the Hull nearly complete.

most of the painting is finished, the railings have been fitted on both sides, and most of the deck fittings have been painted and the parts fixed in there respective places.

and before anyone starts picking fault with the colour of my torpedo net booms, on the photos (black and white) that i have the booms are not black, nor white.

apart from that i don't think theres much to say, apart from enjoy the photo's

colin-d

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:30 pm »

if anyone is interested, my model will hopefully be on display at the Intermodellbau, Dortmund... in Hall 5

that is if the peterborough stand would have me..  <*<

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »

if anyone is interested, my model will hopefully be on display at the Intermodellbau, Dortmund... in Hall 5

that is if the peterborough stand would have me..  <*<

Colin, I've told you before, you'll have to improve your build standards before you can join  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

We are across the way from where we were last year, against the wall.
Don't Assume Check

marmoi

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »

Hope you are not facing the wall???  <*<

Mark

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 07:29:21 pm »

Wht don't you come along and see (volcanos permittting of couse) We are driving this year  :-))
Don't Assume Check

colin-d

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:02 am »

I'll try my best to improve.... and reach the standard of the PAMBC  :}  :D  :embarrassed:

colin-d

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2011, 06:16:57 pm »

i have been putting in a few hours in the past few weeks, so as to get some more major parts compleated, for the Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

here we have the compleated Gangway and Signals Office, that stretches over the glacisplate from the forward flyingdeck to the rear flyingdeck.

all the parts taken out of the kit, with some slight modifications, the railings are of the same material that i have used throughout this model, 0.2 nickelsilver rod from Albion and Stanchions from RB fittings, all thees items are available from Deans, and are also mentioned in the Upgrade packages.

colin-d

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2011, 09:20:48 am »

still going strong on this mammoth Model, lots of bits to build and not much time...  {:-{

the fittings, Mast, and other bits and pieces for the Aft Flying deck are in the in making / modding the Aft Flying deck its self still has a couple of microstrips to be added above the windows and the such like.

most of these parts look just like the photo's that i have already published for the Forward Flying deck, so thats why we only have a couple of photo's for this post.

here we have the 6 pounders for the Aft Flying deck and the two Anchor derricks for the Forward Flying deck

hope your all still enjoying the photo's

colin-d

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »

i have now had time to work on the shipsboats, 4 sailing gigs, 3 rowing gigs and 2 steam Launches.

the gigs just need there hook and eyes for the davits then they can be painted.

the 2 steam Launches i decided to plank there decks and make some nice boilers, so as they look the part...
still have the engine parts to build.

i hope the photo's do these shipsboats justice

a little notice: these shipsboats are not part of the kit, i have used these so as to save time working on the supplied vac - forming's, and to give my finished model that little difference from others.

colin-d

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:59 pm »

after many a try, just to throw the parts in the bin and start again, after the third attempt, i think i have managed to get my steam engines looking the part...  %%  %%

these steam plants belong inside the Launches, which can be seen in the previous post..  :o  :o

i don't think there is any real need to the steam profi's amongst us to start telling me there is a pipe or valve missing, at this scale i don't think it really matters..   ;)  ;)

i have taken images out of the internet of different steam engines, and tried to make something that looks the part..

pugwash

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »

Colin I reckon that looks pretty good in the scale you are working  - its great  BUT I think his sword is too long (Not serious)

Geoff

colin-d

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2011, 10:53:24 am »

never mind Geoff, its a HO figure at a scale of 1:87  Italian policeman in best dress... so really its to big...  {-)  {-)  {-)

mind you it seams your enjoying the photo's..  :-))

i guess everybody else is to gob smacked to make comments..  %%  %%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.