Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail winches  (Read 3623 times)

Sailmaker

Sail winches
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:52 am »

Could anyone point me to a web site to explain how to install a sail winch as I am looking at getting a Hitec HS785 one.
Thanks

Islander1951

Re: Sail winches
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:23 am »

This tells you what you need  to know:

http://www.onemetre.net/Build/Drums/Drums.htm

Use a 'y' lead to send the full power of the battery to the winch, the winch will then power the RX.

All credit to Lester Gilbert for his fantastic site.

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:59:54 am »

If it's of any interest, I had to work this out too.  I have the drum mounted just above the level of the deck under the housing shown:

There is a continuous loop of sheet which comes out of the house and around the deck running on blocks and then back in at the other side.

There are loops in this sheet to which the sail sheets are attached - the main sheet attachment is out of shot to the left here but you can see the jib sheet attachment (unused) at the far side.  The sheet's then run through blocks again to a final eye from whence they go to the booms.  Note that when these pictures were taken I was still only trying stuff out...the granny knots are done properly now  %%

I've just taken another picture of the whole thing......

The idea of the continuous loop is that it's always under tension and so can't come off the drum or snag.....famous last words.
I hope that helps give you some ideas....I'm sure people will speak up if I've done anything horribly wrong  <*<

Sailmaker

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:46:42 pm »

Thank you both for your help. I have spent hours trying to make the Comtesse sail properly and have now given up and scrapped the boat.
Completely hopeless model.
I have replaced it with an IOM Triple Crown after trying a 1 metre boat last week. Boy did it go in the fair breeze.

tony23

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 10:20:42 pm »

welcome to the IOM club Sailmaker I too sail them and just about to purchase a 'Marblehead' similar to an IOM but much bigger. I get so much enjoyment from sailing these types of yachts and every time you sail it in different wind conditions you will learn that just making slight adjustments to the sails makes all the difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 20 queries.