Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dont you just love Virgin Media  (Read 7510 times)

chingdevil

Dont you just love Virgin Media
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:03:42 am »

Got home yesterday no broadband phone up Virgin Media after the usual long wait talk to a broadband tech, he eventually tells me that Virgin are turning off the broadband in a set top box when you have a cable modem as you can not get the higher speeds through a set top box, they have sent out letters to all customers, like I got that with the c--- postal system. I inform him I do not have a cable modem. Can they turn it back on? no the computer has removed the code from the system they can not put it back, eventually passes me over to a lady in Glasgow who informs me that she will arrange a quick install of a cable modem. I ask how quick will that be? answer 2nd November, can she not send me a cable modem and I will install it? no I need a splitter to still get the TV, can she send me a splitter and a cable modem? no they do not send out splitters.
After counting to a thousand, counting to ten would have got me in trouble quietly inform lady that 2nd November is not an option I am now paying for something I do not have, I also use the internet to do my banking and pay bills she says she is sorry but she still tries to get me to upgrade my broadband for when I get my new modem, I can not write my response to that.

After hanging up I phone customer service with a complaint, who tell me they will do everything they can to sort it out, I tell them they do not have much time before I go to Sky. I am later phoned again by the lady in Glasgow telling me that the IT department are aware and are working on this problem, how long will that be she could not say.

Thank god for the internet at work, so if you get your broadband from Virgin and it comes through a set top box phone them up and ask for the free cable modem upgrade ASAP.

<*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*< <*<
Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dont you just love Virgin Media
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:31:24 am »

How do these companies think that is acceptable behaviour?!?!?!?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:07:54 am »

Its acceptable to them.
Virgin turn off your broadband and keep charging.
Seems a very profitable system to me.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:08:40 am »

Interesting that they say they do not send out splitters , They sent one to me last year when I moved to 10mb ? , Came in a nice red box and also included 10meters of wire, complete kit & instructions  Took no more than 10 minutes to install.

Larry

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:45 am »

Slightly  differant problem for me . I have been with them for nearly 14 years  including whatever the company was they took over.

phoned them in response to there letter on the HD +  UPGRADE.  told them I would like the new system cost £49 installed.
included a notebook computer.  ??

got all the blurb from them seems good.  Then they said we  will move the old set top box to another room  free of charge.
oh I said I don't want that old box as we have another already and I want to change that one as well.

can't do that she said on the offer, we can changed both box's but will charge you £150 per box, I was so shocked my reply was
polite, I then asked can we have a wifi modem and what do I do if we move about the notebook computer should we move.
the response was you will need to talk to Virgin Media . we don't deal with that side of things,  Funny that the letter I was
holding was from Virgin Media. put the phone down. asked the family to check the letter encase Id called the wrong firm

Decision  ;D it Virgin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:07:45 pm »

But what you all seem to forget is that Virgin was set up by a schoolboy who told us that the way to run a business was to employ other schoolboys cos THEY weren't "Bogged down" with antiquated business methods.

So what's the problem?? What's changed??    :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:58:29 pm »

I rang Virgin 4 weeks ago to upgrade to cable broadband but not TV. Fine they said but due to a system problem they would have to ring me back that evening. Still waiting for the call...
Don't Assume Check

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »

Hi Brian

Sorry to hear about your problems.  I've been with Virgin since they were NTL and I started with their free set up disk for telephone 'Net'. Gosh they were slow days back then.

I'm now on the 10 meg broadband at no extra cost ( a point to them eh). Mind you, that's download. The upload is still dreadful. It took me 5 hours to send my holiday snaps to the print people.

My reason for contacting you is to say, that in all those years, I have NEVER got through or spoken a Virgin Technical employee. This might be an opportune moment to ask for his telephone number please as I may need it one day.   ok2

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 08:52:57 pm »

Ken, at your age you need to keep away from Virgins - not good for the heart....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »

:} :} :} :} :}

That's the way it was in my day.

:embarrassed:

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »

Trying to get a tecky to talk to don't work that way Kenny, what you need to do is report a fault and book a call out technician at their earliest date. Sadly, like the NHS Doctors appointment, this is likely to be about a week away, so you need to have a slight rave and bung the phone down.

I have found that Usually within a day or so, a tecky will ring YOU back to see if the fault has cleared, THEN you get somewhere.

Unfortunately, the doilens on the normal switchboards are ex health centre telephone clerks who are used to deflecting RAM, ROM MEGABYTE queries.  O0   :-))

Regards  Ian

An before NTL it were Yorkshire Cable   :embarrassed:

andyn

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:49:52 pm »

Please for the love of god do not go to Sky.

They gave us an email account, but dont let us access it and won't do anything about it. They stopped sending paper bills, which we want, and to get them again we have to log in on their site...

The broadband is rubbish, I see download speeds of up to 1.79mb and upload up to 0.35, the ping times vary from 35 to 70odd ms. To make things worse it cuts out now and then, and for the first few months, you had to keep turning the router on and off for anything up to an hour to get it to work.

Also, there's naff all on the tv and the phone is hideously expensive.

For all this on the most basic package they're charging us £40+ a month... >:-o

Mark47

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 10:02:14 am »

On Friday my broadband went down, Friday night my TV went down. So I went to use the phone to report the fault and discovered my phone was not working. I phone Virgin to report the fault via my mobile costing £22 for the call. The answer was "I'll send an engineer out on Wednesday". Then they cut me off whilst transferring me to the tech department to report the phone fault. I called back costing another £13 on the mobile to be told there was a problem in my area and surrounding area and no engineer was required. Why was I not told this on the first call <*<.

The TV and Broadband came back on Saturday morning (after a loss of service of 13 hours) and the phone today (after a loss of 38 hours). We cannot afford to have no phone service due to my mums and father in laws health. We have been told they are not willing to compensate us for the calls or loss of service, because they did not force us to call from our mobile.........What the feck did they expect us to do when we had no phone service to report the faults. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

We are now looking into alternative services.....The only problem is. BT do not have any lines in our area and it will cost around £200-£300 to install a line to our house. >>:-(

UXB

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:16:54 am »

Virgin is just re banded NTL I had endless problems when I moved house they cut off my new line then the old line put it back on cut it off, and absolute shambles. I then switched suppliers. Virgin sent my line rental demands to my virgin email address hey had terminated !!!
I got a letter from a debt collection agency for £14- a total set of clowns, I shudder every time I drive past their call centre. <*<

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:12 am »

And when you DO throw your hands up in disgust and tell them you're cancelling, they answer ever so sweetly "You have to give thirty days notice"

Bless   ;D

Regards  Ian.

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 06:15:50 pm »

I must be one of the lucky ones, we've had telewest, now vigin media ever since they began why back. We have a broadband, xl tv and phone package and apart from having to reboot the set top box now and then we havent had any problems (now I've said it it's bound to go t**ts up! and no I have no connection with this company)
cheers Les

chingdevil

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:10 pm »

I will get a broadband modem and splitter by UPS on Wednesday, earliest they say they could do. I was told three times they did not do quick start and then on Friday afternoon told me they did.
There is a young man in their overseas call centre who learnt some new English on Friday afternoon most of it unrepeatable >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*<

I think I need a new broadband provider, trouble is you then get a new e-mail address >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »

Afternoon Brian!

Having a good week .......... yet?  :kiss:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chingdevil

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:40:44 pm »

Maybe about Thursday

HLR

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 10:39:06 am »

Please for the love of god do not go to Sky.

They gave us an email account, but dont let us access it and won't do anything about it. They stopped sending paper bills, which we want, and to get them again we have to log in on their site...

The broadband is rubbish, I see download speeds of up to 1.79Mb and upload up to 0.35, the ping times vary from 35 to 70odd ms. To make things worse it cuts out now and then, and for the first few months, you had to keep turning the router on and off for anything up to an hour to get it to work.

Also, there's naff all on the tv and the phone is hideously expensive.

For all this on the most basic package they're charging us £40+ a month... >:-o
Andyn, I had the same probs as you, Virgin using the same fibre optics that  NTL supplied. Download 5.3Mb, up 1.4Mb, but keeps crashing and takes ages to get back on line.  Engineer called, cable between the house and box at the end of the road US. Being replaced in a few days time. Not holding my breath let you know the results in a few days.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 01:35:16 pm »

Yep Number-1 mine has been from Yorkshire/Telegonwest/ntl/Vergin since day one, but you don't have barmy digger drivers lifting them at regular intervals and no one informing the call centres based where ever.

HLR The fibre optics are fine, it's the copper or aluminininium wires from the green boxes at the end of the road to your house that's the problem. Communications at the speed of light compromised by Copper, Allumin and HUMANS.

Regards  Ian.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:45 pm »

All sorted Brian?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 03:59:50 pm »

has anybody got the 50mb service of Virgin ,got a thing today offering it for £1 extra a month , then the strings, another £55 for a load of stuff I don't want and an engineer to sort my pc out , the guy who installed the system did not know hot to put the "F" connectors on after 3 goes I had to show him he kept cutting the braid offinstead of folding it back, ok so he was new but why did I have to get him on his own.

so if anybody has it what modem do you get ?

Peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »

By the way I rang Virgin, so I am non the wiser

Peter

chingdevil

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 05:10:19 pm »

I finally nearly sorted out my broadband a young lady not in India, said we can send you a Quick start set up they had told me they could not do that. Any way that arrived set it up called tech support to activate, no problems. Turned on the PC it asked to set up my broadband connection, took the first e-mail address it found as the one I wanted to use, could not find a way to say no then the computer set it up. I now can not access two of my e-mail accounts because according to them they do not exist, even though one of them I can still get all my mail from <*< <*< <*< <*<
Looks like another interesting phone call to Virgin, at the moment I am setting up my new PC aint Vista fun >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
Yesterday while installing my AVG anti virus, Vista decided that it was virus software and stopped the download, finally got it installed. Oh and it does not like my genealogy software which is three Weeks old, keeps warning of compatability problems and thinks the iTunes web site is a phishing site and blocked it. Also Word in Office 2007 is unreadable to everyone without that software unless you remember to save documents as XP, other than that it is all going very well  >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.