Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How much are you guys paying for lead?  (Read 12587 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
How much are you guys paying for lead?
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:05:06 am »

I am trying to buy lead for ballast, but I am being quoted silly figures. about £8 per kg.

I am trying to find out what the market price is generally to buy lead, not the price I would get at a scrap dealer.

I have tried googling to no avail.

If anybody has bought some recently, or has a website with a price, or a recent price, please let me know.

Thanks
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

nick_75au

Re: How much are you guys paying for lead?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:11 am »

About $4.00 AUS a kilo for shot, work buys it for trimming full sized boats but you have to buy a pallet load, $8.00 per Kg for the rest of us mugs
Nick

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:02:50 pm »

tt.... lead [pb] is a comodity that does not offen have 'offcuts' in general use....however in OZ the price for prepared.....lead shot is  X 3 of the world metal price for that metal

lead shavings or shot is approx 1150 kg/cubic metre
brass shavings are approx 8400 kg/cubic metre

As you can see...you need 25% more brass than lead for the same ballast mass ....but any machine shop will sell brass/bronze machining swarf [chips] for the current world market price  O0 ...or maybe a few bottles of Chinese rice wine???  O0 .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:19:44 pm »

Tiger,

This company advertise lead shot for modelers - http://www.leadshotballast.co.uk/

Barrie

Wasyl

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »

I am trying to buy lead for ballast, but I am being quoted silly figures. about £8 per kg.

I am trying to find out what the market price is generally to buy lead, not the price I would get at a scrap dealer.

If anybody has bought some recently, or has a website with a price, or a recent price, please let me know.

Thanks
Seeing as how China has bought up almost all of the scrap lead from the western world,I,would,nt have thought you would have a problem getting yer mitts on some,unless of course, you,re not,on the Banks of the Yellow River {-) {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 02:05:56 pm »

Tiger
I just had a quote from my local Plumbers Merchant,-1 x roll of code 3 lead 6m x 300mm x 26kg = £61.09,which is around £2.20 per kg,so whoever quoted you £8 per kg,is a Rip off merchant,My local scrap Merchant quoted me £30 for 30kg,which is £1 per kg,If you want to place your order now,just say, {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:14:25 pm »

Thanks
Tiger,try here,macbuildingproducts.com   tel 0161 477 6652

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:48:22 pm »

Seeing as how China has bought up almost all of the scrap lead from the western world,I,would,nt have thought you would have a problem getting yer mitts on some,unless of course, you,re not,on the Banks of the Yellow River {-) {-)

Wullie

Now if they were buying scrap to sell as scrap then it would be easy. But they are smelting.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 02:55:36 pm »

...whoever quoted you £8 per kg,is a Rip off merchant,My local scrap Merchant quoted me £30 for 30kg,which is £1 per kg,If you want to place your order now,just say, {-)

Unfortunately I would have to buy fishing tackle weights, as so far this is the only source I have found. Hence the price. {:-{

They refuse to tell me their suppliers  :-X . They would rather hang out for a potential sale than help people here. It is very often every man for himself. They would rather take the risk on selling nothing. People here rarely think beyond the imediate sale. Perhaps one of the reasons why there are so many family businesses and so few big chains here. Most of the big chains are overseas (non Chinese companies).  >:-o

Builders don't use lead here. It would be ripped off the roof as soon as the sun goes down. :police:

I would love to place an order with you for rolls of lead  :-)) But I don't think i could cover the postage.  <:(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »

Thanks for the info all of you  :-))
From the look of the prices for prepared shot in the UK, the £8/kg is not that far off for fishing weights.

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 02:59:42 pm »

Another source for lead shot is a dive shop.  Some of them sell it loose or already packaged in pouches for diving weights.  I bought some a few months ago but can't remember what I paid for it  :((.
Derek.    :police:

Wasyl

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:03:47 pm »

Tiger,what you can do,if you are indeed on the Banks of the Yellow River,you can perhaps go toyour local scrap car dealer, and collect all the lead weights that are on the wheels,that are used for balancing, unless of course your local smelter,has already beaten you to it, {-)another option is, "although its a Hazardous subtance"is to buy loads of old thermometers,and take the mercury out,Its far denser than lead,But very canceragenous %%

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:09:37 pm »

Unfortunately I would have to buy fishing tackle weights, as so far this is the only source I have found. Hence the price. {:-{

They refuse to tell me their suppliers  :-X . They would rather hang out for a potential sale than help people here. It is very often every man for himself. They would rather take the risk on selling nothing. People here rarely think beyond the imediate sale. Perhaps one of the reasons why there are so many family businesses and so few big chains here. Most of the big chains are overseas (non Chinese companies).  >:-o

Builders don't use lead here. It would be ripped off the roof as soon as the sun goes down. :police:

I would love to place an order with you for rolls of lead  :-)) But I don't think i could cover the postage.  <:(

Well you,ll know what to buy the next time you come to the UK, instead of buying Duty Free booze and Fags,just buy scrap lead, {:-{

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 03:12:11 pm »

In a developing economy, nothing gets scrapped. Everybody here goes through everything.
There are people here making a living out of the plastic disposable bottles that can be found in bins on the street. But they are usually only in the bin for a few minutes.

I put some rubbish out one day, to find next door's maid bringing it back in a few minutes later. She then took it home.

The guys who cut sheet metal for shop signs would not give me their offcuts. But they would have sold them to me.

Where there is muck there is brass, and with many people (over 40million) still earning less than US$250 per year, you can see why.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 03:13:01 pm »

Yes, but I want about 20kg of it. {-)
And I also have lots of other stuff from ACTion to carry back with me.  %%

Wasyl

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 03:20:53 pm »

Hi Tiger,believe it or not, you mght just be cheaper buying it from me, and i could ship it out,
I,ve had a quote from Fed Ex,
90kg scrap lead,= £90,carriage costs to the Yellow River,via Fed Ex £220 = £310 you,ll save £240 per shipment,based on your quote of £8 per kg,Now if there,s a few model boat enthusiasts out there,you could split the cost,
Food for thought,

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

Is that for real?
Wow.

I may be interested in talking further.

Why did you quote for 90kg? Is that a fedex wieght threshold?

Although I may have problems explaining to Chinese customs that it is for personal and not commercial use. :-X

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 04:37:18 pm »

lead...try the local church, or seriously a roofer, he should have some off cuts that could get rid off. I melt mine down and make new bars over a camping gas stove and some old wood made into a mold that has been soaked in water for 24 hours. Easy!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 04:52:07 pm »

There have previously been a lot of warnings on this site about taking extreme care when melting lead and these have included not letting it ANYWHERE near sometihng damp as the resulting steam can cause an explosion with molten lead everywehere. I think somebody even posted a picture of the injury that can be caused.

I have lead offcuts which somebody gave me ages ago. I just beat them into shape with a hammer - no need to melt them.

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 05:08:24 pm »

Tiger, I used 90kg as an example,I recently shipped a model tank to California, it was a 1/6th  and it weighed in at 85kg then there was the crate which measured 120cm x 70cm x 75cm,total weight 105 kg by air freight £220 with a 3 day delivery,

As for melting down scrap lead I have proper melting pot with lid and a propane burner,the pot can take upto 10kg of lead,and the molten lead is poured into a sand cast mould,and each ingot can weigh from between 2kg to 10kg,depending on useage

Wullie

dan

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »

i was lucky enough to find about 4 kilos lying in my garage when i moved house, the older owner had just left it

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 09:54:17 pm »

Melting and casting lead is quite easy, providing you do not get it to hot or as Colin says nowhere a damp mould. A very easy come by mould is an old brick using the indentation, but put the brick in the oven first to ensure it is completely dry.

I used to cast bullets using the gas cooker and being a plumber used to have plenty of scrap lead pipe. We always used to cut the pipe into lengths using a hammer and bolster chisel much quicker than a saw. One fine day I put a lump of pipe into the already hot melting pot and decorated the wife's kitchen ceiling with a very nice pattern of lead splashes.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 10:24:31 pm »

Hi TigerTiger,

You could try looking in your local plumbing merchants for reels of soft solder- plumbing sizes of course, not electrical- unwound they can be molded to any shape and they weigh almost the same as lead.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 11:26:38 pm »

Thanks

go to church :D im sure god won't mind you swiping his roof
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 11:43:14 pm »

What about wheel balance weights, from a ture fitter, they seem to pull them of and bin them.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.