Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How much are you guys paying for lead?  (Read 12589 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: How much are you guys paying for lead?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 02:18:35 am »

Ref Church roof.
Few Churches in China.
Lead is not used for roofing here. It would probably get nicked.

I have tried tire bays. They recycle everything themselves. With the tire fitters earnong less than 50p/hr they don't let anything go.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Wasyl

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 02:26:44 am »

Lead is not used for roofing here. It would probably get nicked.

Some things don,t change,it gets nicked here as well,especially about a year ago when the price of scrap was sky high,due to the "Chinese" buying everything they could lay their mitts on,Did you know that China are the biggest users of Lead in the World,"think reproduction Tiffany Lamps and Stained Glass windows"

I can get you a quote for 20kg posted to the Yellow River,

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:45 am »

I think I may have problems with customs on that one. The local guy is very nosey, I had some doweling shipped. I was actually asked what it was for.
The stuff goes through the local customs office in the city (about 600 miles from the sea), which is not the port of entry. I guess he gets bored.

Thanks for the offer though. :}

I will keepp looking for a Chinese supplier. I have managed to find a manufacturer, but he only does 60kg ingots. I now need to find out who his customers are.

Hagar

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »

sad mortals cant buy lead inDenmark. Contractors need a special permit PER JOB and said permit is only given if the building is listed.
I thought that lead was banned by the EU any way.

I dont have to worry to much, I have 90kg of the stuff in my shed. Yes I will sell some but youll have to come and get it!!! :}

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 10:17:27 pm »

Ian,

Lead is banned for use on `potable` water supplies and in certain solders used for electrical work and in some other areas but its is still in general use for many application's, roofing being just one.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

ZZ56

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:24 am »

Twenty-six dollars for a five-pound downrigger weight over here.  Good thing i had a coupon.

On the other hand, i could've bought an eight-pound barbell for sixteen dollars, but i don't have anything to cut it up with and even with the strike, i figure machine shops wouldn't consider it worth their while.

Hagar

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:04 pm »

Ian,

Lead is banned for use on `potable` water supplies and in certain solders used for electrical work and in some other areas but its is still in general use for many application's, roofing being just one.

Colin H.

Well that makes it easier for you lot then. I can only comment on what the situation is like in Denmark and lead is very much banned. I work for a pluming suplies wholesaler, and I know just how hard it is to buy, as I sell the stuff. No permit, documentation from the council or certificat of historical restoration, and you get no lead!
Even fishing tackle is lead free and it is illeagal to sell fishing weights, boat fishing pirks and the such that contain lead.

Saw a program on Discovery today, Do you know that lead is the most recycled metal.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 10:06:02 pm »

Blooming Heck Ian your restrictions are much tighter than ours anyone can buy lead sheet for roofing, even sold in DIY stores. Lead `in` solder such as 60/40 is still in general use and so on.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 05:55:54 am »

Result  :-)) :-)) :-))

One of my wife's customers is a gold mine. And guess what one of the byproducts is.

My wife mentioned my problem getting lead during a previous visit. When she returned to her car, after a recent visit, she found that a 30kg ingot of lead (not gold sadly) had been left for her.
They would not take any money.  :} :} :}

john j

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 06:50:58 am »

Result  :-)) :-)) :-))

One of my wife's customers is a gold mine. And guess what one of the byproducts is.

My wife mentioned my problem getting lead during a previous visit. When she returned to her car, after a recent visit, she found that a 30kg ingot of lead (not gold sadly) had been left for her.
They would not take any money.  :} :} :}

Result indeed  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

I work in the building trade as a bricklayer, and most of the time were falling over the stuff. I`ve stopped picking it up because i have that much of it in the workshop, i dont think we realise how fortnuate we are here sometimes.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:59 am »

Can't you find any old and knackered car batteries? Plenty of lead in there.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:42 am »

Mixed in with sulphuric acid no doubt! Think Id give that idea a miss if anyone reads it!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 03:04:14 am »

Nice idea, but remember this is a developing country I live in. Very little is thrown away. The lead from a car battery is probably worth more than an hours wages for a 'kwick-fit' worker here (about 50p/hr). They don't lob batteries out, or wheel weights.

Nordsee

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 10:39:03 am »

Re the price of lead. I go to our local Tyre Dealer, he usually has a bucket full of discarded wheel balance weights, for 10 Euros in the Coffee Fund I can take them. They are not lead, but melt down Ok and are nearly the same. We just want weight don't we? Also if you want bar, try going to a firm that makes Iron gates, they have bar stock in useful sizes and sensible prices, Iron is approx 80% the weight of lead. Hope this helps.

Wasyl

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »

A nice cheap alternative to lead,is ..used ."tungsten beads" ftom a shot blasting company, at our club we recently got a 10lt drum full of Tungsten beads, this 10lt drum weighed in at over 40kg,...cost, a donation to the coffee fund,i.e.a couple of squids,then all we have to do is weigh it out in plastic bags, from 100g through to 1kg

Wullie

Nordsee

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 09:42:02 pm »

Having in the past been involved in Military Modelling and produced White Metal parts for various Manufacturers in both Germany and UK, I have some knowlege of Hot Metal!! It is dangerous, very dangerous! My casting temperatures were between 250 and 280° C. all moulds , which were of Silicone, were warmed first, so no chance of moisture, which can cause the mould to spit back, with nasty results! I tried Plaster of Paris Moulds for keel weights but it was a very Iffy method as the mould absorbs moisture when not in use and needs to be placed in an oven to dry out. If you have pored into a wet mould and got away with it, you have been very lucky!

***Suggest you put a posting about this in the 'Traders Section'***
By the way, anyone want some 1\72 Napaleonic figures? The last Company I supplied has folded ( Owing me for the last 2 deliveries!) and I still have their moulds, crews for galleons? Joking aside, be very careful hot, metal doesn't take prisoners, a drop the size of a pea will burn right through an unprotected hand.Always wear stout leather gloves and eye protection, please. As a matter of interest I used to pay between 12 and 17 pounds Sterling a Kilo for my Casting Metal, depending on quality.

Wasyl

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 09:58:36 pm »

{:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{...white metal casting,have i missed something here,what has this got to do with the price of carrots i mean lead,..... {-)

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 10:07:09 pm »

I think the point that Nordsee is making is that wnen people have got hold of some lead they have the idea of melting it to make the ballast weights they need. If you don't know exactly what you are doing then this can be very dangerous. Which is why the safest method is to get hold of sheet lead and literally beat it into shape with a hammer - much safer but still wear gloves or wash your hands very thoroughly. Ingested lead rots the brain as the Romans discovered.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 10:20:26 pm »

Ah, so thats been the problem all along then. So if I stop boiling the lead and keep on with the "nectar" I should be OK. Or not. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 10:34:56 pm »

Lead water pipes have been blamed for the fall of the Roman Empire Bryan....

Wasyl

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 10:39:11 pm »

Food for thought!..if the Romans knew that lead rotted the brain,why was it that,even up to this very day,lead is used to carry water,i.e."lead water pipes"..lead lined storage tanks,etc etc,
as for the melting of lead for weights,...well if i knew then, what i know now,i would have had the biggest collection of Matchbox a Dinky cars,that there ever was,but as it stands,most of my Dinky,s ended up in the pot,then were tied to my throw out line,and most of them eventually ended up at the bottom of the Tay estuary,...and they all met their hot end, without a glove in sight,and my brain is,nt rotted yet, {-) {-)

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 10:42:03 pm »

Methinks it was the Goths and the Vandals that helped bring down the Roman Empire, {:-{..the lead thing was all myth,

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 09:47:55 am »

Roman empire,  not quite true Colin. The reason they went a bit doo lally was because the elite, especially those at the top of the chain used to indulge themselves in a rather exotic food additive, the name of which escapes me. This was cooked in lead pots and pans and was very acidic and as such, slowly dissolved the lead into solution. Constant ingestion of this lead laden food substance slowly affected their brains and to some degree, the downfall was attributed to this.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 10:01:09 am »

.... must check my pots & pans when I get home.   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ajb68

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 10:05:59 am »

cars,that there ever was,but as it stands,most of my Dinky,s ended up in the pot,then were tied to my throw out line,and most of them eventually ended up at the bottom of the Tay estuary,...and they all met their hot end, without a glove in sight,and my brain is,nt rotted yet, {-) {-)

Wullie
I am amazed somebody hasnt challenged that statement yet Wullie  {-) {-) {-) {-) :-))
Regards Andy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.