Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 30116 times)

Pointy

Dogs
« on: November 22, 2006, 07:15:37 pm »

Do we have any dog owners browsing the forums tonight?

Yeah I know this ain't' "Dogpages" but curious to know if you can juggle your hobby (which requires a lot of time) with caring for a dog. Does your dog get jealous of your boats? I mean there you are all ready to go out and you reach for the boat and not the dog lead..... "GRRRR!" thinks Mr Woofy, and "I'm going to pee on that tonight!"

What kind of dog(s) do you have and why? I will let you into a secret- I don't have a dog but would love one. But of course I live with people who are more into their things than dogs (oh my God think of the furniture- are you mad?! etc...) :'(

If it was up to me I'd go get a couple of rescue greyhounds. Its all rather ironic, here I am expecting delievery of a ARTR Graupner Prinz Eugen tomorrow which I've been after all year and sure wasn't cheap and am I excited? Hell no, I'd swap it in seconds for some kind of non-dog lover conversion thingy. :-\

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:25:47 pm »

I have a 16 year-old Jack Russell Terrier and although I am a model boat fanatic, when push comes to shove, she, ( the dog, of course), takes precedence.   Pete
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Pointy

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 07:27:23 pm »

:)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 07:30:27 pm »

I have a dog, it's a stuffed toy with spots which goes under the name of Meazle. Wife and daughters love it - no trouble at all. Doesn't eat, doesn't pee, doesn't.... well, you know.  Perfect pet. Actually I prefer cats.  :)

Malc Reade

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 07:45:21 pm »

Ever since Carol and I got married in 1980, we've always had dogs, mostly rough collies (Lassie dogs), some 'rougher' than others  ;D ;D, but all real characters.  Our last two went about 7 years ago and I miss them terribly.  Our lifestyle has changed with taking over the business, and it wouldn't be fair to take on any more - at least until I retire.

The problem these days is that dog owners are considered to be anti-social, and to be honest, I wouldn't fancy following a dog around with a 'poop scoop' and a plastic bag, even on long walks way out in the countryside.

Rescue Greyhounds are lovely animals as are all dogs, and it's something I would seriously consider myself.  Becoming a Guide Dog trainer is something else I would love to do.

Dogs love you and are faithful friends regardless of who or what you are, they don't compromise.

Regards,

Malc

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 07:49:27 pm »

We have a Rottweiler bitch, just under 2 yrs old.
She has a very strong personality but is soft as butter, till a stranger upsets her!!
She often lays in the Garage with me when I am building.
No conflict between "Tia" or models.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

laserblue16

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 08:46:38 pm »

This is ours. It s***s and p****s everywhere except near my boats. :o

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 08:50:11 pm »

Hi Pointy

Here is our Whippet called Scout. Dare I say, the best dog to have    ;D

Reasons

1   No hair loss around the place
2   Most loving and loyal  of pets
3   Keeps the joints supple with all the walking
4   Only needs a small pooper scooper
5   Eats medium size meals
6   Keeps me Alive....
7   Keeps away from water
8   Very delicate around model boats

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 09:15:32 pm »

I have a two yr chocolate labradour called Rolo, as with most Labs he is very docile, gentle and is very good company. Never any problems with the boats.

Daryl

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 09:43:21 pm »

Hi,
I have a nutty black lab, the pic is her a couple of months ago at 12 months. She sits in the garage or wanders around the garden when I am doing boaty stuff.
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Pointy

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 09:57:33 pm »

I've got dog envy! :D
Laserblue, your dog has such a sweet face! hey boatmadman I bet that black lab keeps  you smiling! And Tug... what can I say- I'm biased towards greyhounds so maybe thats why Scouts' pic made me melt. Rolo- what else could you call a chocolate Lab! ;D

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 10:33:12 pm »

Hi all,

I've got a German shepherd called Sam.

I spent three years fitting out a steel yacht shell in my garden. He would either sit in the garden watching my efforts, or climb up the ladder and come aboard. He grew up with the boat and all that went with it, no problems or jealousy. This was also whilst I was building various model boats when the weather was to bad to work outside.

The great day eventually came, and he was left at home while the boat was trailed to the marina and launched.
A couple of days later family and dog drove to the boat, loaded all the required items on board and set sail.
It was about here the trouble started, he barked, howled, scratched at the varnish and generally made it a disaster area. After two days with no sleep we arrived back at the moorings and the dog was returned home in disgrace. Despite several more efforts, we gave up trying to take Sam with us, which  meant kennels for him, which was not acceptable to me. ( to expensive as well)

After three years of not using the boat, it was sold on.

I now spend most of my time with model boats, and leave him at home while I go to the pond. Sadly he does not travel well in cars, and so misses a lot of great days out. He does get a three mile or so walk along the beach every morning, well I walk three miles, he does about six or seven.

Bob

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 07:12:51 am »

We have a Curly Coated Retriever called "Holly". She is seven years old, very large, very strong but amazingly gentle and utterly loyal. She sees me start to get my tools out and goes to sleep! However, when I go sailing she goes with me and first has a walk. When I start to sail she gets bored and goes and sits by the car.

Curlies are not a well known breed, especially in France where I am constantly asked if she is a Labrador/Poodle cross. This makes Holly and I mad! Dog owning in France generally consists of two approaches. 1. Conceited little balls of fluff (orange Poodles or Yorkies) which are walked for 10 minutes by a lady in ridiculous high heeled boots or an embarrassed man who attempts to pretend the dog is not with him. 2. Hunting dogs such as St. Hubert's or Brittany Spaniels which are penned up most of the time but are then let loose and hunt anything from a mouse or lizard to a deer or wild boar. The shooting that goes on here in the Vendee with dogs is a huge problem for me because Holly does not like guns (despite the breed having  been raised to recover ducks from water after a shoot) and I am afraid to wander far when a hunt is in progress. So would you be if, as I have, you saw the huntsman liberally refreshing themselves with alcohol at each opportunity.

My wife is unable to walk far and so Holly and I do a lot of walking alone which is good for my heart (after major surgery in 1999), good for the peace and good for Holly.

Pooper Scoopers are unknown in France but ticks are a huge problem in the spring. I have taken as many as five ticks off Holly in one day. Deer ticks are the worse but they hang around rabbit holes and in long grass. I have even had them in my legs. This year there was a notice in a local forest car park advising long trousers tucked into socks as the tics were so prolific. I treat Holly with "Front Line" every month but can't get my wife to put it on my back!

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 08:44:26 am »

My little dog, all 130 pounds [9 stone] of him.

Comes with me sailing sometimes and is no trouble.

Mind you he did eat my kitchen in his youth. :o

He has one ambition in life. To kill a postman. ::)

Richard 8)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ambernblu

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 11:01:49 am »

Like Colin, I much prefer pussy to canine! Especially the sleek black furry variety that sleeps on my bed on occasional weekends when my son goes down country. So this post is about CATS! Tough!

Even though my house is not his home, he knows exactly where his tray will be. He also sits and watches me working on my models/painting figures etc., and I usually pull a chair up next to mine for him. The only problem is that he's banned from the railway room.... furry pussy (and associated dropped hairs or even fur balls God forbid!) and intricate Bachmann and Hornby locos don't go too well together. So I find him sitting outside that particular room with a 'so why can't I go in here then?' sort of expression on his face.... honestly, you would think I didn't trust him!

The worst bit is when its time to take him home.... can I get him to go in his carry basket? Of course I can't! At the first idea its time to go in 'there', he's off.... and the chase around the house is on!

I am always particulary amused by the look of absolute disdain that cats give to dogs (usually from a position of total security, mind you - such as the bedroom window for example!) To me it epitomises the sheer superiority that cats hold over the canine. After all the Egyptians worshipped them didn't they? They certainly knew a thing or two about pussy!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 12:22:27 pm »

I  am not a domesticated animal lover - wildlife yes, but cats and dogs, no.

Cats crap on my lawn, prowl round my pond and terrorise the frogs. The only thing in their favour is they occasionally scare off a marauding duck.

If I really wanted to walk the streets collecting warm dog crap in a plastic bag, I'd save money, cut out the middle-man(dog?) and let someone else feed and house the thing.

Rick

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 01:27:54 pm »

Brian do you think you should be moderated for trying to hijack the thread ?? ??? ???

Richard 8)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 01:31:02 pm »

Nothing wrong with preferring cats

moderated, happy to oblige

Bob

Rick

Lets see if that gets moderated

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 02:06:52 pm »

To the PURE all things are pure
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 02:11:52 pm »

Like lard then ::) ::)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 02:15:36 pm »

Sorry Dicky, too cryptic for me  :-[
Don't Assume Check

ambernblu

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 02:25:37 pm »

Brian do you think you should be moderated for trying to hijack the thread ?? ??? ???

Richard 8)

Yes i do Richard, I think everyone who intentionally hijacks any threads should be immediately moderated and then thrown off the Forum....  ;)

I did however mention DOGS in my post, but refrained from mentioning how noisy, smelly, stupid, aggressive and downright dangerous they can be.... one came straight through a window at me (glass shards everywhere!) and bit me on my b*m, when i was helping my uncle deliver milk many years ago....  :o 

I was at the time tip-toeing through the said dog's turds in the back yard trying to deliver a pinta when it took an instant fancy to having a chunk out of my a**e end! I think it must have said afterwards... (if it could talk of course!) 'Window?? WHAT bloody window!)  ;D

After that experience I can't say I love 'em......!  >:(  Imagine how poor old Mr/Mrs Posty feels!

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 02:28:58 pm »

One of the funniest things  I saw ( dogs + full size boats) was when we were moored in a bay and a smallish ( 23/24 ft boat) sailed in. The owners plus their Old English Sheepdog piled into their dinghy and went ashore.  When they returned the tide had gone out and the water was about waist deep round their boat so they put the dog in the dinghy and waded out pulling the dinghy behind them.

When they were about 6 feet from the yacht the dog made an almighty leap towards the deck but missed and disappeared under the water with a huge splash. The owner, now thoroughly soaked lifted the dog up onto the deck and he and his wife followed. Of course the dog then tried to dry itself by shaking. Can you imagine how much sea water came out of the very shaggy coat of an Old English Sheepdog ?  It was like a tropical rainstorm with nowhere for the unfortunate couple to get away from it. :D

Don B

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 02:39:35 pm »

Sorry Dicky, too cryptic for me  :-[

Sorry wasn't lard, it does in fact say on the jar"Pure goose grease" ??? ???

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 02:44:20 pm »

Brian you should be ashamed of yourself. You get a dog to jump through a shut window and then you moan about its reaction. :o :o

Richard 8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.