Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 30262 times)

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dogs
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2010, 03:41:50 pm »

Hi Richard,

Glad to see you have a new day-time companion. Somewhat different to you, but my dog is my reason for going out each day, otherwise the knee I messed up three years ago could have left me crippled - dog walks every day made me go out and exercise, not only the dog, but also my knee. Wouldn't be without a dog, life would be so boring.

Danny

Double D

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

These two are mine and Number 6's babies.  We had them both from the dogs home 2 years ago.  The one on the right we named Kim and the little one on the left is named Joycie or Jo Jo for short, after my mum.  He's even named one of his boats after little Jo Jo.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »

Scout send his regards Dicky and looks forward to meeting the 'Springer'    :}

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2010, 09:44:58 pm »

Well, no fear of water for this one now, I suppose falling into our model boat pond when he was 14 weeks old cured his fear of water. Now he's going through the terrible 2s and thinks he's boss of everyone, funny he's fast asleep at my feet now.

amdaylight

« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2010, 04:45:15 am »

Well I have taken the plunge and got another dog.

Not exactly a German Shepherd but will keep me company during the day and he follows the wife round the rest of the time.

At least he's not too small, or wont be when he grows up.

Dicky,

Way to go, what a nice looking pup. Have fun, enjoy. I am so happy for you.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2010, 05:40:35 pm »

Hi Dicky,

Hard to replace, but he looks a handful, whats he called. I know a few from the beach and their absolutely mad.

I'll have to venture over your way this winter and pay you a visit, don't worry I'd leave the wolf at home, he's going through the dominance thing.

Me alpha dog mate, I buy the food.

Robert

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:23 pm »

You are welcome to pop over anytime Robert, but my wife says you have to bring the wolf.

She's had a thing about him since he was a pup.

My lunatic dog is called Jack among other things and at the moment seems intent on bringing everything in from the garden and taking the household stuff out into the garden. I'm knackered !!
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Patternmaker

« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:25 pm »

Very pleased for you Dicky, I have a working Cocker, Sophie she will 6 in November. Loves the water, they say that they calm down then, no sign of that yet, helps the wife gardening, digs up everthing she plants.

All the best Mick

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »

You're just trying to cheer me up Mick. {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2010, 08:08:30 pm »

my resue dog...a Weimaraner, about 7 years old.A bitch called Saffy, and as stupid as the day is long!!

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Wasyl

« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »

POINTY..... just a minor correction. A Curly Coated Retriever is not "....a curly Labrador...". The Curly is a pure breed which pre-dates Labs. and Goldens. They come in solid black or solid liver only, as both colours are dominant there are no mixtures or markings of any sort. Their face is smooth and typical of a retriever but the rest of the body is covered in small, tight curls. They seldom bark (mine dislikes our auto gates!). They are one man's dog but simply avoid other humans and dogs if they can, no aggression.

Anyhow, I think that is enough about dogs on a Model Boat Forum, it had not been my intention to prolong this thread but I had to protect the Curly image!
When all said and done,their just Pot Lickers like the rest of them and as for not being aggressive,all dogs have aggression in them,its the nature of the beast,

Wullie

Roger in France.

Wasyl

« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »

There was once a time when,if a "pure bred"was caught by a Pot licker,you ended up with a cross breed,that was worth nowt,..but now "cross breeds"cost an arm and a leg,e.g. Labradoodle Jackadoodle I even saw a Curlydoodle advertised,
As for pure breds,well like all mutts there ancestors were of the wolf family,so really is there such a thing as a pure bred,I think not,
btw,I,ve got a pot licker, a cross Beardie Border,

Wullie

amdaylight

« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2010, 04:12:24 am »

You are welcome to pop over anytime Robert, but my wife says you have to bring the wolf.

She's had a thing about him since he was a pup.

My lunatic dog is called Jack among other things and at the moment seems intent on bringing everything in from the garden and taking the household stuff out into the garden. I'm knackered !!

See he is doing his job,  ;D making you thing of other things rather than normal every day things. O0

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

codpiece

« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2010, 07:29:16 am »

I have a 2 year old Boxer called Alfie, and hes as mad as a hatter.

Roger in France

« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2010, 07:38:28 am »

My dear old Curly Coated Retriever "Holly" is coming to the end of her days. Her back legs are going and she is having difficulty breathing. The Vet and I are keeping a close eye on her, it will be a very sad day when the inevitable end arrives.

Lyn and I have started thinking about having two smaller dogs. At the moment top of the list is the Lakeland Terrier closely followed by the Cairn Terrier. Any advice? We have considered but rejected a rescued dog.

It is very easy to find Cairns in France but Lakelands are few and far between. I have researched importing pups from the UK but it looks prohibitive because of the time needed for injections and documentation.

To aid your giving advice: large garden 8,000 sq. m.; fully fenced to 1.5 m.; deep countryside; plenty of local wildlife from rabbits through to sanglier (wild pigs) and deer; I walk a great deal; many lakes and rivers around us; not keen on grooming; prefer a smaller breed this time; must travel well including by ship and through the Tunnel..

Roger in France.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2010, 08:14:18 am »

Any terrier needs a certain amount of grooming
They don't moult so they need a haircut every 6 to eight weeks.
Have you considered a Wire haired Fox Terrier same size as a
Lakeland and maybe easier to get in France

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ooyah/2

« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2010, 09:38:13 am »

How about a Border Terrier,
Short coats easy maintenance, will run all day and having 2 one will chase and excercise the other. and very faithful.
George.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:51 am »

Isn't interesting that we take for granted that putting an ailing pet to sleep to spare it unnecessary suffering is the merciful and correct thing to do even though the animal has no say in the matter yet when it comes to a beloved relative in a similar situation who is able to express their wishes it's a different story altogether.  {:-{

Colin

Wasyl

« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2010, 10:19:47 am »

I wholeheartedly agree with you Colin,my late  Grandmother suffered a slow painful death,in the1960,s at a time when medical science, was not as it is now,..Like you say, had it been a pet,in similar circumstances,then the law would have us do the right thing,..put it out of its misery,...

Wullie

madrob

« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »

I recently had to have my dog scoober put down after she was run over in her own garden, sat in her usual place during the summer at the front drive gates when a young bloke decides to use my driveway to turn round, only he turned in too fast and hit the gates knocking one of them down onto the dog crushing her. She had to be put to sleep the next day. As for the bloke he was given 6 pts and had to pay all the vets fees and pay to put my gates and posts back up.

14 years i had had scoober,i remember the day i got her like it was yesterday, a friend wanted me to take her to the local animal sanctuary for a cat, whilst there i went looking round the dogs ( never really been a dog person) and saw something that totally astounded me, a white dog, just a heinz57 dog nowt special covered from head to foot in what looked like lard wearing one of those head guard things, on reading the note on the door she was 12 months old and called scoober oh and the lard was in fat somekinda cream to cover cigarette burns over her back tail and legs.
She was bad tempered and hated people, eventually i tempted her to come to the door of the kennel she was in, as soon as i touched her she rolled over with her feet up in the air.that was it a few weeks later she came home with me.

Wasyl

« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »

As I previously said in an earlier post,we have a cross Beardie/Border,my wife and I were more into cats,but on one occasion 5 years ago,whilst having a discussion about pets in general,she said that her favourite breed was a Beardie Collie,with this info firmly loaded into my memory bank,i decided to find her,her favourite dog,As luck would have it,.It was in the run upto Christmas 2005,I saw an ad in our local paper,"Beardie collie pup for sale,I phoned the number,and,was told that the pup was a 10 month old Beardie,but there were no papers for her,I was not put off by this,and decided to go and have a look,
I tavelled 40 miles to a very rural location,Hill Farm in the lower Highlands,On arriving there,in the bleakness of winter,with snow covering the ground,I met the farmer, who showed me Bess,she was from the outset, a very friendly dog,and she looked like a Beardie,..but young dogs can be decieving {-)I asked why she was for sale,and the farmer told me that she had been bought as a working dog,..but had refused to work,?when iasked him to explain he proceeded to open the gate of the field full of sheep,and let Bess in,She ran after the sheep and lay down on her back and tried to engage them in her play,
As much as i liked her,I was unsure as i,d never had a dog before,I asked the farmer if i could come back the next day with my wife,..The farmer said,"Oh,she might be dead by then"I said "what do you mean" he said that as she refused to work,she was no good to him and she was costing him money for food,and that if no one bought her, he would put a bullet in her head,I said "I,ll take her"and duly paid him the asking price,
On arriving home Avril fell instantly in love with Bess,and we have had her for 5 years this Dec,
but as i said earlier,young dogs can be decieving,as she got older,we started to realise that she was not a pure bred Beardie,..she was a cross Beardie/Border,..did it matter to us,Not one bit,..we love her to bits and she does,nt have a bad bone in her body,and given the chance, she would lick you to death,she rarely barks,and loves water,and when we go to the beach which we can see from our house,she is in the water at every opportuinity,As you can see my photographic skills are like my boat building skills, {-)

Wullie

Patternmaker

« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

Its great to see so many dog lovers who have saved many unwanted dogs on this forum regards of their hereditary.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2010, 06:01:50 pm »

Wullie, many years ago now, I had a similar experience; ad in paper, border collie for sale, drove 40 miles from one side of Edinburgh to the other, farm where this scruffy little mutt couldn't care less about sheep, farmer said he'd shoot her the next day if I didn't take her. Border collies were not recognised by the Kennel Club in those days, but got her papers from the International Sheep Dog Society. When I asked about price, he said "Same as I paid for her, £7" Needless to say, I took her, spent loadsa money at the vets getting her back to decent health, and she was great. She gave me many years of devotion, was a great companion, and she guarded my car like no other and I've had dogs all my life. Bless you, Dot!

Danny

Wasyl

« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:54 pm »

What is it about,Collie dogs,and cars,or any 4 wheeled vehicles,we have a farm road immediatly behind our cottage,during the day we keep Bess in the enclosed back yard,but when a tractor appears on the road,she goes balistic,No barking mind you,just running the length of the yard or trying to jump over the wall, she must run dozens of miles per day,Her favourite passtime though is watching TV,she sits in her basket,and whenever any animal comes on the TV,her Border ears are up and she stares intently at whatever animal it is,occasionally she will utter a low growl,but she never barks,and when she meets other dogs,she is initially very subserviant,but after a little while she will give as good as she gets,..but never a bark,

Wullie
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.