Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slipway Trent Gift  (Read 7471 times)

DaveB

Slipway Trent Gift
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »

Hello All
My latest project Slipways Trent it was bought several years ago by a good mate who fitted the rudders, prop shafts and keels and then lost interest, a few weeks ago he gave the kit to me as he wanted the space. I changed the rudders as i decided to fit brushless motors and was'nt confident the white metal posts could cope with the increased flow then into the test tank to check for leaks alas the prop tubes had split letting water by so out they came, i had one spare 6 inch m5 shaft in the spares box and now awaiting the other one. Hopefully she won't take too long to build so there will be more photo's asd i go
Dave

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Slipway Trent Gift
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:05:44 pm »

Hi what motors are they ?

Peter

andyn

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:56:32 pm »

It's written on them.......

Overlander Thumper T3548/5

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:19:18 am »

Blimey I've never seen a brass prop tube split ? I suspect it wasn't "pure" brass stock in the first  place.
With those motors you should get some serious performance, keep the pics coming especially on the water shots.
Steamed up all the time

DaveB

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:32:48 pm »

Hello Phil
The motors give 900 revs per volt and i shall run them on 12v with the option of going to 24v when being childish which is quite often.
Dave

DaveB

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:43:28 pm »

Time for an update i've just about finished the plumbing and wiring i fitted 2, 35amp seaking esc's and the  pump is a bulkhead mounted car washer pump powered by a 5amp forward only esc from no other than FLJ (thanks it works a treat with realistic look) i just need to tidy up the wiring then the decks can be fitted. Took her down the pond for trials on sunday and she needs a little bit more work as there was a small leak on one of the hoses and i also want to convert the transmiter stick to a spring return (parts are on the way) and i have reprogramed the portside esc. I recommend having an operation as the time off recovering really helps the build along.
Dave
Oops forgot to add the photo's

DaveB

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:48:23 pm »

Here they are

Mark47

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »

Here they are

You may want to raise your exhaust ports just now,( O0) before going any further. In my opinion, this kit is lacking in some areas, unfortunatly this is taking some of the charecter from the boat if you are wanting to base your build on one of the boats as is now.

Here are three pics.

First is the real boat. Note the the water line nearly touching the red line.

Second is a Slipway Trent built using water line measurments supplied by Slipway. I did not build this, too nice for my modelling tecniques.

Third is my build. I have raised the water line up by 8mm at stern (nearly touching exhausts), as high as I could after already fixing exhausts in place (<:() If I new what I know now I would have raised the exhaust ports at least 10mm higher than instructions have them positioned. (just my opinion, but I think the boat is now lacking in charecter).

Pics

Mark47

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 04:45:09 pm »

You get the just in the pics, although looking at mine I still have a little tiding to do with black sealant. O0

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:56 pm »

Blimey I've never seen a brass prop tube split ? I suspect it wasn't "pure" brass stock in the first  place.
With those motors you should get some serious performance, keep the pics coming especially on the water shots.
I had a shaft split just as bad on a Club 500
Alan

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 08:41:21 pm »

You may want to raise your exhaust ports just now,( O0) before going any further. In my opinion, this kit is lacking in some areas, unfortunatly this is taking some of the charecter from the boat if you are wanting to base your build on one of the boats as is now.

Here are three pics.

First is the real boat. Note the the water line nearly touching the red line.

Second is a Slipway Trent built using water line measurments supplied by Slipway. I did not build this, too nice for my modelling tecniques.

Third is my build. I have raised the water line up by 8mm at stern (nearly touching exhausts), as high as I could after already fixing exhausts in place (<:() If I new what I know now I would have raised the exhaust ports at least 10mm higher than instructions have them positioned. (just my opinion, but I think the boat is now lacking in charecter).

Pics

If you check the photos you will find the red line on the side of the real boat is quite a bit lower than that on the kit.

If you lower the red line on the kit to match the real one the the exhausts and the waterline are about in the right place.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mark47

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »

If you check the photos you will find the red line on the side of the real boat is quite a bit lower than that on the kit.

If you lower the red line on the kit to match the real one the the exhausts and the waterline are about in the right place.

I beg to differ Dicky.

The exhaust ports on my boat are positioned where the dimples in the mould are for them, also measured (from the supplied drawings) to be sure before fitting. It is definitely 10mm out.

Another thing on my Trent hull was pre cut as they all are. The water strakes on each side appear to be at different heights. (I think you have built one?) The pre moulded rubbing strip that runs around the entire deck edge was exactly the same width all round (not suggesting one side of deck is higher than the other), so this suggested that the deck is level and the strakes would be at the same hight.

I first measured the space I had to put the boat numbers on allowing for the proper width yellow and red lines. First measurement was 20mm, so I ordered 20mm white letters from an on-line supplier. Whilst working on the boat I had turned it to so I went to mount the numbers to find they were to big, so ordered 15mm. Thought I made a mistake when measuring size required. Oh well, it happens but the wont go to waste. But it was not my mistake. White boat number has been measured and place 2mm from top edge off water strake (probably the wrong name but you can see what I mean). I will never buy a kit fro many manufacturer again. For the cost of this kit not adding in £200 of extras I could have got a Waverley from Billings and a mine sweeper (indulging both types of boats I love orange and grey).

The picture will explain it better. Look at the difference between the red line and white boat numbers.  First pic is what both sides should be.

Mark47

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:49:45 pm »

Both numbers have been measured from the rear of strake and masked with 3mm masking tape to give spacing. So it's not, "they are positioned at different places on hull".

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 11:36:55 pm »

Just remember one thing chaps...... when the kit was first produced, and the drawings of the Whitby boat made as delivered in 1996, the RNLI was using the OLD livery  i.e. just a single red stripe around the top of the hull. This makes measurements for modern livery using the drawings difficult to say the least!

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Mark47

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 11:51:06 pm »

Just remember one thing chaps...... when the kit was first produced, and the drawings of the Whitby boat made as delivered in 1996, the RNLI was using the OLD livery  i.e. just a single red stripe around the top of the hull. This makes measurements for modern livery using the drawings difficult to say the least!

Mike

Wise words on lifeboats as always Mike. O0

Still does not remedy the major fault here. Unfortunately I w was too far on with the build before it came to my attention.

This kit is in need of a make over.

I would have been happy to pay, "let us say another £100 for a deluxe version". As long as it had these problems/faults ironed out. Not to mention the aluminium removed from the kit, may be replaced with brass. There is certainly enough buoyancy for it if the water line is where it should be.

Mark47

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 12:07:17 am »

I think people should be given this kind of info. Especially when it can prove hard to get images as delivered, so you build what you can get images of.

The kit has been out long enough to have a propper in depth review and to be modernised. It's certainly still a very popular model to build.

I posted on a thread before I bought this kit asking, "is there anything to look out for"? The only answers were, "brittle" and "super structure needs a lot of filler"

If some one could only have posted parts 310 should be 311 and vise versa, exhaust ports are too low for a more up to date boat, water strake/deflector (can't think of the name) are not at same hight each side [I may have a bad moulding]. The amendment stapled in the instruction are wrong....they actually need amended. This is the kind of info to be armed with before doing such a kit.

I've got to be honest, this kit was just on the drawing board when I left the hobby. When I came back to the hobby as an adult and decided to buy this. I was so excited (like a kid in a toy store). IMHO if you want to do a modern lifeboat, buy Speedline for quality or billings for an easy Waverly conversion. O0

Mark47

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »

I've got to be honest, this kit was just on the drawing board when I left the hobby. When I came back to the hobby as an adult and decided to buy this. I was so excited (like a kid in a toy store). IMHO if you want to do a modern lifeboat, buy Speedline for quality or billings for an easy Waverly conversion. O0

Waveney, not Waverly. :embarrassed:

You would think I would have known if I had been on the lifeboat. It is a bit different from the paddler that I've been on a couple of times. {-) {-) {-)

DaveB

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »

Thanks for all the comments i suppose i'll have to spend a while scratching my head and make a decision, i like the look of raising the waterline but not sure if i want the hassle of raising the exhaust ports as well but obviously can't do one without the other.
Dave

Mark47

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 05:10:05 pm »

Thanks for all the comments i suppose i'll have to spend a while scratching my head and make a decision, i like the look of raising the waterline but not sure if i want the hassle of raising the exhaust ports as well but obviously can't do one without the other.
Dave

It's your build. O0 O0 O0

I would however suggest, if you go the route of yellow and red lines, rub the raised fender marks down. The neoprene fenderring you get with the kit is around 4mm too narrow. I masked this area before spraying so that I could get a good contact straight to the hull, unfortunately this left a 4mm gap between fender and paint, easily covered with lining tape though. But as I did not notice this difference before hand. I had to try rub the raised moulded edge away after painting and gluing fender. Delicate job. O0.

So that's the hull. I wonder what's instore with the supper structure, (basic form built).

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 09:04:58 am »

I built MS Trent couple of years ago and had same problem with the numbers on the bow. Had to order slightly smaller set so they'd look right, bit annoying but not the end of the world. All part of the fun of building. Happy sailing! Dave. :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.