Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to this site  (Read 3108 times)

pheonix

New to this site
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:31:37 pm »

Hi, just found this site while I was looking for information about rigging my new toy and I must say I have found it very informative so have a funny feeling I could be spending a fair amount of time logged in here  :-))

Only recently got back in to the RC scene while i was looking for a project to fill in my spare time after completing a total rebuild of an 18ft ski/race boat. I was looking for something that was not quite on the same scale and could be built in the warmth of my workshop instead of spending another winter in a freezing garage working on its big brother. As it happened I had an old Merco 61 engine and a Digimac 2 channel radio set lying around from my original entry in the RC world around 25 odd years ago so thinking I could put them to use on a "cheap" project I trolled through ebay and eventually bought a old very well used hull for 20quid.

Between work commitments and the usual non-workshop related activities, it took around a year and a half to finish but eventually she went for her first run at the end of September and other than a couple of teething problems it ran well.

In the mean time my wife has gone and bought me a new Aeromarine "Scorpion" hull for my birthday, so now I have my next project lined up  :D. However, this is something new to me as I have never used a flexi shaft type configuration, only solid shaft and this was the main reason I was trolling the internet looking for rigging information. Just getting things sized up and checking out on the options for engine and radio gear - subjects that have moved on considerably from the last time I was involved.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: New to this site
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:08:07 am »

Welcome aboard Phoenix.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

omra85

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:48:44 pm »

Hi Pheonix, and welcome.
So you've got a nice shiny Scorpion, eh?  I hope your wife bought the 36" version, as the 32" one is a bit on the small side.
What engine are you putting in? If you're running on flat water, it will handle a 40 - 46, but I think it would be better with a 21, either direct or on a gearbox.
Unless you're going racing, a Force 21, 3 port Picco or a Protech would be good choices, giving you enough power to excite but without the cost of a CMB.
Don't worry about flexi drives, they are as easy (or easier) than a straight shaft to set up.
I assume you got the Scorpion from Jotika, in which case you will have the set-up drawing with it. It shows how the flexi is positioned and what extra 'bits' you need to buy or make, ie strut, front support, coupling.
Have fun, and hopefully your new boat will be on the water before 2012  %) {-)
Danny

pheonix

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:38:07 pm »

Hi Danny

Thanks for you mail - yes it is the 36" version, the hull is a nice moulding, very clean.

My wife bought it direct from the "shipwrightshop" website which I understand is JoTika online shop. The layout plans were included and have proved very useful at the moment, in fact I am just window shopping and sizing up what I need.

There is no intention to race it, just for fun - not even sure what clubs are available in my area (central scotland). As for engines, the boat was supposedly designed for .45-.67 engines so just for the hell of it I was going to go for the big end of the scale. At the moment I am looking around for suitable candiates and the CMB looks interesting but pricey. ALso looking at the K&B version but still looking for a distributor in the UK. The water conditions tend to be less than ideal as I will be running them in the Loch's and they can get quite choppy at times.

Mind you, if you recommend going smaller/or geared then I am more than willing to listen to suggestions.

Not sure how much progress will be made before Christmas as I work away for 6 months of the year and I have some work to do on the "big" boat to get it ready for the next ski season. Mind you, I get just as much fun tinkering with the things in the workshop as I do sailing them  %)

If anyone has any photos of their Scorpion set up I would be very interested in seeing them.

Cheers
Dave

ids987

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:14:05 pm »

Hi Dave,

Pic's on the Aeromarine site and the Shipwrightshop site seem to be pretty sparse, and there don't seem to be any of the "business side" (underneath), but it looks like it's probably a circuit racing type hull. If so, something to bear in mind. Circuit racing hulls for todays .67 size engines (the US still have a .67 monohull circuit racing class), tend to be at least 42". Their boats are running up into the mid 60s (MPH) - in full race trim (on the "wet" side), so I think a 36" circuit racing hull with a CMB .67, would probably be undriveable - especially on rough water. The Prestwich Orion, which is his current offering for .45 sized engines (albeit geared .45), is about 4' long !
Like Danny, I think a .21 would work pretty well - as well as giving a large choice of engines, many of which are both good and affordable - like those Danny mentioned (I think the Force .21s are even available in a Marine version). The smaller engines - ie .12 and .21 - those sizes used in 1/8 and 1/10 scale cars, are the biggest market, so this is the area where most of the development takes place. Most current .21s have the same mounting bolt pattern, and a high percentage of .21s use a 4 bolt head pattern, and the bolt pattern is usually the same, so a marinised head for one engine will fit many others. Four bolt marinised heads can also be bought quite readily. I'll post an eBay link if you are interested ?
If you should decide to go for a .21, a gearbox would give more flexibility. For one thing, the engine pulley / gears will normally fit straight onto the SG cranks used in car engines - whereas a flywheel for direct drive would be a little more difficult. Gearboxes are also particularly useful where you are driving a biggish boat - not least by helping you to run a bigger prop. On the other hand, a gearbox is obviously an additional cost, and maintenance item.

As in your post though, your older .61 engine would probably also be quite decent - just got to work out the plumbing.

Ian

pheonix

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:30:38 pm »

Hi Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for your constructive comments - looks like I have a little more thinking to do before I commit to the motive power.

If you could post the ebay link I would be grateful.

Had a bit of a "window shop" on the internet last night but I need to get home and back in to my workshop to see if/what I can do with my old .61 engine - if nothing else it takes it off the shelf. I know it certainly won't be turning out anything like the power of the modern engines.

Will also have a look at the gear boxes - see both Ian's shop and Prestwich models do a tidy little unit.

Cheers
Dave

ids987

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:22 pm »

bulldog1966

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:19:41 am »

hi pheonix a nother good sight for you http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/shop/      hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.