Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Oasis of the Seas - The biggest yet!  (Read 20647 times)

Bowwave

Oasis of the Seas - The biggest yet!
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:44:37 am »

The new cruise ship Oasis of the Seas sets sail on 1st of December 09 and  what ever you may think of modern   cruise vessels this is the biggest yet .
Displacement 220000 tons
Length   361m
Beam 47m
Height above water line 65m
Crew 2165
Passenger capacity 6296
Decks 18
Speed 22kts
Built  Aker yard Finland

Bowwave %%

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Oasis of the Seas - The biggest yet!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:31:52 am »

This made me laugh. Talk about art reflecting life. %)

From the webiste travel China website
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/hotel/new-nanjiang-hotel-kunming.htm

Kunming New Nanjing Hotel
The New Nanjiang Hotel (Xinnanjiang jiudian) is a 4-star business hotel located in Dongfeng Western Road, which is a prosperous area in Kunming. The hotel is adjacent to Baihui Business Square to its north and Daiguan Business City to its south, neighboring Cui Lake Park. The hotel has a variety of facilities. The contour of the hotel is like a ship, which is sailing on the ocean. The courtyard is elegant with large grounds and underground court yards.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:19 am »

I think at these sizes the whole concept becomes rather self defeating. The number of passengers carried by a ship of that size will completely overwhelm the facilities at just about all ports of call, making going ashore a miserable experience.

Of course the cruise company don't want you to go ashore really - they would rather you stayed on board spending money in the shopping mall and on the "extras" which aren't included in the basic cruise package. In which case why bother to fit propulsion engines? It looks like a barge anyway so you could just hire a tug to tow it somewhere new occasionally to act as a floating resort which is all it really is.

Colin

Bowwave

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:32 pm »

Colin you are right about passengers disembarking to go ashore for a few hours, not a good idea.  But I suppose ships like these are what the cruising public wants or they would never get built.   Esthetics is in the eye of the beholder. To some this is a dream ship to others a nightmare.  The bottom line is economics if it makes money then the concept is justified and vindicated.
Bowwave .
 {:-{

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:34:37 pm »

...But I suppose ships like these are what the cruising public wants or they would never get built...

I am not sure I can exactly agree there.
The public wants cruises.
There are cheap cruises and expensive cruises.
It is a fiercley competitve business, and so the cheapest provider wins.
So if the customer of the shipyard is the operator, then it is what the operator wants.

A bit like McDonalds. I think all of us would rather go to a small family restaurant or even a decent chips shop. But they were dearer than McD and were effectivley pushed out of the market.
Market forces aim will often reduce things to the lowest common denominator. i.e. cheapest food service not involving prosecution, or abandonment by the customer. Hence the ubiquitous McD, KFC, Donner Kebab, Weatherspoons etc.

Maybe not what the customer wants, but what the customer is willing to accept. I am sure we would all rather travel on the likes of the old QE2, if we could afford it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

das boot

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »

On a serious note...eight and a half thousand people on board? I hope that ship never gets into trouble...

Rich

regiment

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:31:35 pm »

in one of the photos a person is taking a photo ?  what is holding him upright?

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:09:09 pm »

in one of the photos a person is taking a photo ?  what is holding him upright?

LOL!!! He's developed a unusual talent that guy ha ha!

Anyway, joking aside. It's the result of lens distortion from a wide angle lens (possibly a fish eye lens).

Voyager (ex-photojournalist)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »

Mainly for Bunkerbarge ( as he knows about these things).
Strange hull configuration....what's the longitudinal "bulge" for? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »

Bryan,

That's the accommodation for the budget class passengers; they've got to put them somewhere and the extra weight they provide acts as a secondary stabiliser ...

{-) {-)

andyn

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:12:37 pm »

Mainly for Bunkerbarge ( as he knows about these things).
Strange hull configuration....what's the longitudinal "bulge" for? BY.

There's no bulge, it's an optical illusion from the stitching together of the pictures.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 11:18:55 pm »

I agree with Colin, the logistics of transferring over 6000 passengers ashore, then retrieving them, would be a nightmare for the crew and misery for the passengers. I saw a TV documentary about another Royal Caribbean ship, "Freedom of the Seas", and the crowds in the shopping areas and around the pools were huge, people were literally shoulder to shoulder - not much fun, in my opinion.

As far as a cost comparison with Cunard goes, it seems to me that on a per night basis there is not a lot of difference on similar levels of accommodation, at least, here in Australia.

Peter.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:10:15 am »

farrow

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:55:21 am »

The question that goes through my mind is what happens when about 0300 on a black night, in bad weather you have to evacuate the vessel quickly in mid ocean. God forbid.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:12:24 pm »

Topic renamed.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 12:15:52 pm »

Is she 'hollow' at the stern?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 01:32:08 pm »

Check out the board walk images Martin.

http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/image-gallery.php
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 01:42:30 pm »

Is she 'hollow' at the stern?

The hollow area at the rear is where Thunderbird 1 lands when there is an emergency...

rsm

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »

They didn't make a very good job of the paint work did they!!! {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 02:29:35 pm »

I always knew the reason for failing my first year @ the University of Wollongong all those yease ago

Displacement 220000 tons
Length   361m
Beam 47m
Height above water line 65m
Crew 2165
Passenger capacity 6296
Decks 18
Speed 22kts

{-) %%  >:-o :-) ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 04:08:45 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 05:13:57 pm »

I think the points made about evacuation are very good ones. Things don't always happen the way that they are tested in the evacuation drills. When the Sea Diamond went down off Santorini in 2007 the ship listed severely which it wasn't supposed to do and getting the passengers off safely also took much longer than anticipated - and the weather was flat calm at the time. Sea Diamond was a minnow compared with the latest pleasure barges.

Another accident waiting to happen is where conventional cruise ships are being sent down to the Antarctic. Not only are the hulls not ice strengthened but if something goes wrong any local rescue services (and there may not be any) could be easily overwhelmed by sheer numbers of survivors so even if you got off the ship in one piece you could die of hypothermia before proper help can be mobilised. There have already been some close calls.

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 06:16:29 pm »

Always lots of interesting discussions around the size of cruise ships and of course the owners/designers/operators/yards will give you a dozen reasons as to why the new vessels are as safe as anything else but to me the big difference is that we have not yet experienced a major incident at sea with anything like a vessel this big.  My biggest worry would not be evacuation because the likelyhood of having to evacuate such a vessel nowadays is actually not as statistically probable as a fire, which remains a very real possibility. 

The ability to deal with a fire is entirely dependent on the quality and quantity of the fire teams and to me nowadays there is too much left to the descretion of the owners as regards training and equipment.  Should the fire become evident to the passengers how the control of those passengers is organised and the quality of the crew would be absolutely critical to a successful outcome.

Until such an incident actually happens on a vessel of this size I really don't think anyone can predict just what will happen and we are venturing ever more deeply into terretory governed by legislation based on what we 'think' may happen.

Interesting pod configuration as well, the QM2 has four, two fixed and two azipods but this one has three azipods.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Roger in France

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:26 pm »

I am waiting for one of our right wing Members to say, "They deserve what they get". I do not mean, long ques at the Pursers Office.

I would certainly say, "I hope they all enjoy it and as long as they are on board there they will not be where I want to be".

Roger

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 05:16:31 pm »

Re evacuating a passenger ship due to fire / collision /grounding etc. Anything that involves loss of ship or lives really.
I touched on this subject in one of my offerings on the "Nautical but True thread. But a reminder may be in order.
RFA "Sir Bedivere". Portland harbour. Flat calm. Embarked some dozens of civilian volunteers to act as passengers. Main object of the exercise was to see how the Maritime Authorities (plus Police, Fire Brigades et al) would cope with a major problem "at sea" on a cross channel ferry. To make things interesting we (the ships staff) set off a few smoke bombs and listed the ship a few degrees to stbd. This created genuine panic in some of the volunteers. We also had some crew members dotted about with various injuries...causing even more mayhem. And this was quite mild compared to what was done during a full "work-up" exercise!.
With the ship listed no more than 10* or so the arrival of the Fire Brigade was awaited with interest by the genuine ships company.
They couldn't get on board ....well, the people could, but getting their gear on board was beyond them. All due to the ships list.
When we brought the ship upright again there wasn't much of a problem....but the Fire Brigade thought we were "cheating"! I ask you!
This was all on a calm,sunny summers day no more than half a mile from shore. We would have had no problems lowering the stbd side lifeboats, but it was thought that most of the "volunteers" would freak out with this.
My honest conclusion is akin to Bunkerbarges' statement that "we will have to wait for the disaster to happen before the issue is correctly addressed" (I'm paraphrasing here, but that's how I understood him). Most ships can list to at least 50* before losing stability, so panic at 10* or so would be murderous at larger degrees of heel. And "at sea" it's not feasible to rely on any shore based organisation to come to the rescue. As I've often said, the ship is your lifeboat. But a ship full of shopkeepers, entertainers and others who are not familiar with the ways of the sea will be as much of a problem as would be the paying passengers. My heart sinks (along with the ship) just thinking about it. I don't know what the answer is. I doubt if there is an answer, apart from crossing your fingers and hoping for the best. Sorry to be so gloomy.....but at least you will never ever meet me on one of these things. Sleep well, BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.