Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Oasis of the Seas - The biggest yet!  (Read 20644 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oasis of the Seas - The biggest yet!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 05:31:08 pm »

As Bryan says, the proportion of trained crew represented by the navigation and engineering departments becomes smaller and smaller as the ships get bigger and bigger. The total crew may be quite large but the vast majority will be in the hotel services department. On these big ships, indeed on most ships these days, the crew will also be multinational. On both my recent cruises with Thomson a strict boat drill was held immediately after leaving port but I've heard that this isn't always the case.

Just imagine the consequences if two of these ships were to hit each other and catch fire.

Colin

Ash

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »

I completely agree with the comments previous about 'what happens in an emergency' - one of my concerns should one of these things ever have an issue.
One of the scariest things I have seen on there are the lifeboats, which are double deck loading, holding around 375 (I think) and are stowed in the launching position. No 'swinging out', bowsing tackles, tricing pendants, just take off the gripes and lift the brake, straight down. Having seen many issues with lifeboats before, I think it is a bit of a scary prospect.
The issue with the 'Star Princess' was that the fire was along one side of the accommodation, which in the event of abandonment due to the fire getting out of control, would have rendered at least 5 boats unusable. Now I know that spare raft spaces are available, but not that many! Now change that situation to the Oasis, and you have 1,875 people looking for somewhere to place their bum.....

Touching on a previous question, the arcs extending over the side at the top deck are for jacuzzis which overhang the ships side...

Cheers

Ash

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 03:01:50 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
One for Admiral Bishop and his Camera
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:49 pm »

From today's Southern Evening Echo.

THE biggest cruise ship in the world will be making a brief appearance in The Solent next Monday.

Although there is no fixed time for Oasis of the Seas’ arrival, it is thought she might be in position towards late afternoon.

The 225,000-ton vessel, more than three times the size of Southampton’s former Queen Elizabeth 2, will be stopping in The Solent close to Lee-on-the- Solent while en route from the builders’ yard in Finland to America, where she will enter service in the Caribbean.

Oasis of the Seas is making the diversion to disembark 300 yard workers who sailed from Finland and do not need to be aboard for the Atlantic crossing.

Royal Caribbean, which has a second ship on the same scale under construction, operates the previous record-breaking ship Independence of the Seas from Southampton
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: One for Admiral Bishop and his Camera
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 08:06:25 pm »

From today's Southern Evening Echo.

THE biggest cruise ship in the world will be making a brief appearance in The Solent next Monday.

Although there is no fixed time for Oasis of the Seas’ arrival, it is thought she might be in position towards late afternoon.

The 225,000-ton vessel, more than three times the size of Southampton’s former Queen Elizabeth 2, will be stopping in The Solent close to Lee-on-the- Solent while en route from the builders’ yard in Finland to America, where she will enter service in the Caribbean.

Oasis of the Seas is making the diversion to disembark 300 yard workers who sailed from Finland and do not need to be aboard for the Atlantic crossing.

Royal Caribbean, which has a second ship on the same scale under construction, operates the previous record-breaking ship Independence of the Seas from Southampton
Dickie, forgive me; for I realise you are quoting from a Newspaper report. But surely you must have had reservations regarding the statement that she is 3 x the size of the QE2. Newspapers! 3 X the length? Breadth? Depth? I think not. Or are they just talking about the internal space (measured at 100cu.ft per ton). If that's the case then she will certainly be "taller" than QE2, but not all that much longer..or deeper. I would bet that her actual displacement (of water) is not all that much different to that of the QM (2). Just me being pedantic again! Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: One for Admiral Bishop and his Camera
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »

Dickie, forgive me; for I realise you are quoting from a Newspaper report. But surely you must have had reservations regarding the statement that she is 3 x the size of the QE2. Newspapers! 3 X the length? Breadth? Depth? I think not. Or are they just talking about the internal space (measured at 100cu.ft per ton). If that's the case then she will certainly be "taller" than QE2, but not all that much longer..or deeper. I would bet that her actual displacement (of water) is not all that much different to that of the QM (2). Just me being pedantic again! Bryan.

Bryan

Displacement of Oasis of the Seas is approx 100,000 tons. Gross tonnage is 225,282 tons.

Displacement of QM 2 is approximately 76,000 tons. Gross tonnage is 148,528 tons.

Displacement of QE 2 is approximately 48,923 tons. Gross tonnage is 70,327 tons.

Is that pedantic enough. You will note the difference in size between the Oasis of the Seas and the QM 2. ok2

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 10:48:57 pm »

Gross tonnage seems to be the figure regularly quoted, and Oasis is more than 3 times the gross tonnage of QE2 so, in that sense, the newspaper report is correct.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 11:00:34 pm »

%% they talk about global warming as the cause of rising sea levels O0......... but here is an alternate example of 225,282 tons = ???  >>:-(...always hard to visualize mass & volume  O0 unless I convert it to imaginary 500 gm tubs of margarine or 1kg packs of milk

so if one tonne = 1000kg  & 1kg = one litre....just rounded will do as it is sea water

225,282 x 1000 = 225,282,000 litres of water or two hundred & twenty five million, two hundred & eighty two thousand 1 kg packets of milk  %) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 08:16:29 am »

Derek, care to do the BBC`s favourite "the height of X number of double-decker buses"  or Nelson`s Columns {-).
..well can you land on this?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 12:04:59 am »

There was a good program about 'Oasis of the Seas' tonight (on QUEST, Freeview).

... when a ship makes a stop at a port, if you're late back:
    1. Are you left behind?   If so, who's responsibility is it to get back on ship or home?
    2. Are you fined somehow?
    3. If you do it a second time ("because I'm such an important person, the ship must wait!"), what happens then?

I once went on the Dover, Boulonge on an old Sealink fishing trawler!... does that count as an ocean cruise?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Admhawk

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 01:16:51 am »

... when a ship makes a stop at a port, if you're late back:
    1. Are you left behind?
YES
   If so, who's responsibility is it to get back on ship or home?
YOURS
    2. Are you fined somehow?
NO
    3. If you do it a second time ("because I'm such an important person, the ship must wait!"), what happens then?
SAME THING.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 05:15:43 pm »

Anybody got any idea of her draught? I only ask because that seems to be the only statistic missing rom the previous posts.
In a way it reminds me of something akin to a cake tin....the sort used for cooking cakes in, or even a high sided tea tray. Float one of those and pile a stack of light stuff on it, you'll find that it's devishly difficult to overturn. So perhaps the designers are relying on the beam of the thing rather than the draught to maintain stability. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »

Yes Bryan, 'Form Stability' as with many modern yachts.

The 'Oasis' draws just 30 feet compared with 39 feet for the old Queen Mary. All modern cruise ships are shallow draught to extend the number of ports they can call at. Whilst not unsafe as such, they are not good seakeepers compared with the old liners which were designed to sit in the water rather than on it. They rely on modern weather forecasting to avoid bad weather rather than ride it out. An exception is the Queen Mary 2 which was actually buit as a 'proper' liner.

Colin

farrow

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:47 pm »

I have heard all the Cunard vessels are built to higher standard to enable North Atlantic voyages in winter.

sailorboy61

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 02:27:35 pm »

I have heard all the Cunard vessels are built to higher standard to enable North Atlantic voyages in winter.

True..... as Colin says... we are talking about two different animals here.... those designed purely as floating money mines... the cruise ships, and those that are actuallt liners..the Queens, designed to take the north Atlantic winter on a trip to New York. There was an interesting NatGeo on it I watched recently about the design.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »

I think that only applies to the Queen Mary 2 (and previously to the QE2). As far as I am aware the new Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are basically off the peg standard cruise ships with fancy paint jobs and upmarket interior decoration.

Colin

sailorboy61

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

I think that only applies to the Queen Mary 2 (and previously to the QE2). As far as I am aware the new Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are basically off the peg standard cruise ships with fancy paint jobs and upmarket interior decoration.

Colin

You're probably right colin, certainly the programme was about QM2.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:51 pm »

Hi Colin, the Queen Vic was strengthened in the bows to cross the Atlantic and is about 50 feet longer than the off the pegs.  Also 5000 tons more as well.  There is a picture in this forum of her suffering the N. Atlantic while the QE2 hardly notices the Force 5 conditions.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »

Hi Roy,

Yes I've seen the photos! I did see a reference to some modifications and have just done a search. It seems that the standard hull has indeed been given strengthening in certain areas to allow her to be used in a transatlantic capacity. QM2 was built to a higher spec and design right from the start and is reputed to ride very well in bad weather - I hope to find out in September!

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »

Force 5 conditions? Is that considered "rough" or "hazardous" these days? Please, please don't tell me that the H&S brigade have got their sticky little minds into thoughts of banning ships from transitting waters that "may" cause a passenger some discomfort.
Perhaps the day will come when ships built in Europe will be banned from crossing the Atlantic, and only passenger carrying ships built on the eastern seaboard of the USA will be allowed to operate there.
Come to think of it....why isn't there a US yard producing these ships? After all, most of the outfits operating these behemoths are US owned, designed for US passengers and decorated accordingly. Beats me why countries such as Finland and Italy (and a couple of others) seem to have captured the "market".
Or is it because US yards are too busy building ships that are going to be painted an odd shade of grey?
I could well be totally wrong here, but if my memory serves then the US has a history of producing fleets of mass produced stuff and very little in the way of "one-offs".
For many, many years now all ships visiting the USA have had to comply with regulations that don't apply in the rest of the world. Some are sensible, others just plain daft. The sensible ones would include sewage disposal and other sources of pollution. The dafter ones can include sealing up the "meat rooms" because the contents (meant for crew consumption) are not of US origin. I'm also not too sure about the US rules that ban flammable materials (like wood) on board. BY

I'm

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »

To continue.....now that the Chinese are becoming the pre-emptive nation, no doubt they will begin building their own cruise-liners. Where will that leave the US? An intriguing prospect,no? BY.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 07:39:04 pm »

Hi Colin, the Queen Vic was strengthened in the bows to cross the Atlantic and is about 50 feet longer than the off the pegs.  Also 5000 tons more as well.  There is a picture in this forum of her suffering the N. Atlantic while the QE2 hardly notices the Force 5 conditions.
regards Roy

I was on QE2 at that time. we were all laughing at how the new block of flats had all the sailing abilaites of a cat digger. We had to slow down for vicky. She is no more special than any of the other ship in her class. Fincanteria ship yard can alter the lenght of this class very easily as it is all cut and paste and right click design. She has not been mod for the north Atlantic unlike QM2 and the old QE2 which has sailed through a storm of force 11 to 12.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

Bryan,

Another account of that voyage described the conditions as F10. The photos show that it was definitely in excess of F5!

Re US merchant shipbuilding, yes what you say is largely true but don't forget the SS United States which was a masterpiece of sorts although she did rely upon aircraft carrier machinery to achieve her high speed.

The US did build some significant medium size liners during the last Century, notably those designed by William Gibbs for Pacific service although Europe ruled the waves as far as the Atlantic Ferry was concerned. US merchant ships tended to be very strongly built and long lived as a result, a service life of 50 years was not unknown.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »

John,

There a number of references to the Queen Victoria being modified such as this one from her captain:

However, Queen Victoria was lengthened by approximately
30 feet over the Vista design and as a result has greater transverse stability.
     “A lot of this was to give her the capability to do an ocean crossing in a
proper safe, fashion.  She has also got extra strengthening in the forward
section that the Vista class ships do not have so that we can comfortably do
a North Atlantic crossing.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.