Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: windscreen pump for thruster or tanks  (Read 4191 times)

class37

windscreen pump for thruster or tanks
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:10:04 pm »

Hi all,

know there are lots of threads on this subject, but thought this might be of help to someone.

just bought a screen pump from Halfords, their universal washer pump, ref HWP1, 12v at £ 14.99.

decided to carry out exhaustive testing to see how suitable it would be for filling and emptying my ballast tanks, and possibly as a bow thruster.

testing proceedure.

1 take four coffee cups.

2 take one and turn upside down on draining board. designate as cup 2

3 take two more cups and place right way up either side of cup 2. designate as cups 1 & 3

4 half fill cups 1 & 3 with cold water.

5 take last cup, place two spoonsfull of sugar and one of coffee, part fill with boiling water, add milk. designate as my cup

6 fit two leads to the pump and place on top of cup 2 with short pipes from the outlets / inlets into cups 1 & three

7.touch leads to the connectors on a 6v battery. water transfered from cup 1 to cup 3.

8. reverse leads at battery, water transfered from cup 3 to cup 1.

9. finish coffee and clear all away before SWMBO comes home.

seriously, I could not tell any difference in the flow rate between the two directions, and even on 6v flow was quite fast.
I did not prime the pump at all, and although it was well above the water level it immeadiately primed and started pumping.

hope this is of some use to someone, off to work out wiring and piping for my ballast tanks !

cheers

alan

class37

Re: windscreen pump for thruster or tanks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:36:29 pm »

just done a further test, pump emptied a 2 lt bottle of water, with pump above the water level so lifting, in 1 min 27 seconds.

I thought that was quite good, as thats about four kilos of ballast in three minutes.

cheers

alan

Rubdown

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:12:26 pm »

The only problem is that these pumps are not designed for prolonged continious use

GG

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:39:47 pm »

Having used these pumps in models as "bow thrusters" and to supply fire hydrants, I'd be quite happy to run one for several minutes.
The only damage I ever recall is when one was tested to find the maximum vertical height it would pump water up to.  We got it to something around 30/40 feet when one of the plastic gears gave up, the motor was still going strong.
The only negative aspect of these motors might be the brush gear which usually demands some suppression to avoid radio interference.
GlynnG

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:57:03 pm »

I tried one in an automatic draining setup that wasn't as good as it could have been.  The pump did not like running dry for more than a few seconds.  The "D" shaped hole in the driven cog became an "O" spade hole and drive ceased. <:(
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:25 am »

class37 says .... "seriously, I could not tell any difference in the flow rate between the two directions" ...there are two types of these little devils  >>:-(

A) Impellor style = only good for singular direction..lasts longer due to no plastic to plastic element touching during pumping
b) Gear style = bi directional equal displacement..... O0 ...only disadvantage as another has mentioned....do not run them dry!!!!!!!!!!  :} ....

Naturally the latter is the pick for model ballast pumping applications

Most Model supply shops market a variant of B) for transfering fuel ................. :-)) Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:06:46 am »

Hi Alan,

How "noisy" was the setup?

( And have yourself another cup of coffee for your efforts in a good cause!  :-)) )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

class37

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 02:32:01 pm »

Hi Martin,

motor wasn't at all noisy, though as I hadn't got any radio gear running I don't know if there would have been any interference.

am just intending using pumps to fill final trim tanks at lakeside, so this shouldn't be a problem.

off to boil the kettle

cheers

alan

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »

class37 ....'pump emptied a 2 lt bottle of water, as thats about four kilos of ballast' ...Alan ...must be 'heavy water' over you way as in OZ  %% %% water is still is about 1kg/litre ....Derek :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

andygh

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »

pump emptied a 2 lt bottle of water, with pump above the water level so lifting, in 1 min 27 seconds.

I thought that was quite good, as thats about four kilos of ballast in three minutes.

No I think he was spot on. 2l in 1 min 27 = 4l in 2min 54  ;)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:12:56 am »

Have a search on ebay for Reich and whale pumps. These are centrigugal pumps designed for high volume and low pressure. they ereally move water and are inexpensive.

e.g.- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REICH-IN-LINE-PUMP-15L-12-volt-Brand-New-in-packet_W0QQitemZ250513045397QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item3a53bdb795&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.