Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for scratch build  (Read 6770 times)

swampbug

Advice for scratch build
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:44:48 pm »

Hi guys

I want a boat that is big, loads of detail and things working on her

Cranes, water hoses, smoke etc etc

I have thought about the Aziz and change her to the way i want it to look.

add extra stuff bigger cranes maybe a helle deck on the front and move the cabin and wheel house aft a bit

But reading on here a lot of you scratch build and so impressed by your builds

I think could i do this? dont know, i have the time im disabled, legs dont work properly
i have the patience i think ? lol

May i ask whats it like to a kit? a lot harder? i can read plans no worries and a x trawlerman so understand boats
i have built the smit rotterdam and planking hull, and also the Andrea Gail pic attached
so do i do the Aziz how i want, practice by adding my own thing before scratch build or go for it now? hmmmmm

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice for scratch build
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »

Swampbug, scratch building is not much different from kit building, except you have to make everything yourself, well, not everything, some things you can buy, such as fittings. It's slower, simply because you have to draw then cut out the hull frames, and any other bits that would normally be laser cut in a kit.

Personally, I find scratch building more satisfying than building a kit, because the vast majority of the finished model has been made by me. Another feature of scratch building is you have a much wider selection of vessels to choose from.

Give it a go, I think you'll be very pleased you did.

Peter.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:23:17 pm »

Bite the bullet and go for scratch, you will never look back.

You can build what you want, modify as you wish, the main thing is, its YOUR model and if you like it thats all that matters.

And, as for the rivet counters, if you scratch build your own version, what can they say?  :-))

Treat every stage as a project in its own right and you will be surprised how it will come together, and, there is always help and advice (not all relevant) here

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:15:51 pm »

Hi, Think before you start, exactly what you want. Stacks of Working detail? that is all top hamper
which has to be balanced with what is down below. that means a hull with lots of stabilty & with
lots of access. Scratch building is ,in my opinion, the most satisfying branch of this hobby of ours.
Do your research & go for it, good luck,
                                                   Nemesis

swampbug

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:32:18 pm »

Thanx guys all taken on board.

I am very tempted to do a scratch build now

Been looking for a hull see what i fancy any suggestions for hulls?

Saw tgis one on a hull site Deadliest Catch looks good i fancy this one and like you said all my own design,

I would need loads of advice along the way and know you all would help out.

Very tempted, Plans for wheel house size ect? how would i know what scale it is?

Pete  :-))

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 12:15:37 am »

Deciding on scale should be easy. Look for a full size boat you like, find out how long it is, then decide how long you want your model, divide real length by desired model length and off you go.

Aim for standard scales, eg 1:50, 1:75, 1: 100 etc. Have alook around and see what is available at your desired scale ie fittings, fixtures etc, this will mean you wont have to make everything, just 99% of it!

For stuff like doors etc , measue your back door, add a little and divide by the scale, the important thing to remember is, if it looks right then it probably is right.

Most of all, if YOU think its right, then thats all that matters.

Ian

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:19:29 am »

Should have added, if you have a photo of the style of boat you want to model, you can get v close to scale sizes by measuring stuff like windows, doors etc, and relating them to full size.

Only problem with this is you really need the pic to be taken at 90deg to the subject, because, as you move away from 90deg, the dimension you are looking at will get smaller and give you the wrong size for the model.

Clear? hope so :-))

Ian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 03:16:21 am »

Hi Swampbug

Will you be working from plans or freelancing?

Working from plans is easiest and the scale and dimensions of the main components (hull, superstructure, etc.) are given.

Working from photos is harder, but it allows you to freelance. So that even if you don't have plans, you can take a suitable hull plan and construct the superstructure to model a boat that you want. When on the water it will appear like the boat you wanted, except to a few 'experts'.

I am doing my first scratch build. I am taking a long time (lots of distractions) and enjoying it a lot. Very satifying and I am learning a lot. I am doing mine from plans.
As Peter said, there is not much difference to a kit. Most kits come with a completed hull, but most of the other structures have to be cut and assembled, fittings kits are often an expensive optional extra. So what is the difference? Not a lot.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 03:35:39 am »

Gents.....if you can purchase a set of plans for your desired model  :-))....will be the cheapest & well spent $ in the overall build  O0...I speak from experience of working from two postage stamp sized photographs in November 2000...drawing my own plans & still not finished 9 years later  >>:-(

Having said that  %%...I do agree that scratch building is the more satisfying build.........Derek  :}
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tony52

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:35 am »

One thing to watch out for when scratchbuilding is the on-costs can add up. If you have to buy materials each time, items such as travel, parking costs and postage costs all add up.

Sometimes a kit can be cost effective.

Just a thought!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 10:10:12 am »

Hi ya there Swampbug

If you do decide to scratch build, or build from a plan, I would strongly recommend that for your first attempt you build from an established plan.  You could get your plan from My Hobbies Store (via Model Boats) or Marine Modelling Magazine plans service - the reason for this is that these plans are well proven, especially if you keep your choice between the 2 - 3 star grading as these give you the most information to help you build.   4 - 5 star plans basically give you a line drawing and no advice with building materials/power requirements and so forth.

Best of luck with your build.   Main thing is, remember, when you begin to take your time.   

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 03:15:38 pm »

Hi swampbug I have built two boats from photos and really enjoyed the experience.

American gunboat of the Vietnam era.

Coastal tramp steamer.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

swampbug

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 12:46:04 pm »

Thanx guys i am now swinging to the Scratch build now

Just need to find a hull i fancy now, any ideas

pete

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 01:16:16 pm »

What floats your boat?

Tugs, trawlers, warships, sailboats, historical sail boats, historical war ships, work boats?

Do you have a preference for size or power?
Fast electric, electric, steam, IC?
Do you wish to use and existing motor or ancilary bits you may have?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

swampbug

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 01:31:45 pm »

I like the working boats, tugs, bigger the bestter with loads of detail
Electric
I havent got anything yet so anything is ok

Pete

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »

Hi, if you are going to scratch build it includes making the Hull as well, that way you will learn &
learn a lot. After all it is the hull that makes the model & that is where the skill is. It is relatively
easy the make deck detail. Good luck
                                             Nemesis

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 07:45:57 pm »

Hmmm....Nemesis....we both know a modeller that uses the same basic hull for many models and sometimes it works for either the beginner or disinterested onlooker.
I sort of half agree that the hull is the hardest bit, but not all builders have your skill. For a relative beginner I'd say go for the nearest commercial hull you can find, and compromise on the rest of it. It'd be a good start, and then you can progress upwards (if you want to). I would also suggest that you put out of your head any temptations (at this stage) to add any "fancy" bits like lighting, hooters and so on. Concentrate on learning how to build a superstructure with everything "man sized" to your scale. Read this forum back to front and absorb how ships work, where the ropes go, what bits interfere with the crew getting along with the job.(Build a little stick-man as a guide). Learn how deck plates / planking is done. How rigging is fixed. How boats are fitted out and rigged. The list goes on and will not be learned in a day. In this regard the hull is a peripheral..although an important one. My advice is just to get a hull for whatever sort of boat you want to build and then learn all the intracices that the "above decks" bit requires. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Greggy1964

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 08:23:34 pm »

Experience is the best teacher, just get stuck in and you will find the path to scratch built heaven very satisfying and rewarding and the bonus is you will have a unique model unlike any of the standard kit models.

And admiration from you fellow builders brings contentment and a boost to the old ego to boot! :-)) {-) O0

swampbug

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 01:38:08 am »

Thanx guys

Have decided now, im gonna do a tralwer like deadliest catch

Being x trawlerman i have an idea of what should be where.

I have ordered the hull, its a long one um whats it called again?

Thats it its a coaster hull, right shape just asked them if they could do a slight modifacation of which they said yes.

looking forward to it and nervous too?

carnt believe how hard it was to choose what to do, but thanx to you guys for advising me

what to do, yes looking forward to it

:-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 07:03:36 am »

Good luck with the build, and keep us posted with photos.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.