Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odyssey II  (Read 4441 times)

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
Odyssey II
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:04:01 pm »

Has anyone on the forum built the Thunder Tiger Odyssey II ?  Or if anyone can give me any information about the boat it would be a great help.  I should mention that I have no experience with sailboats - I sort of fancy the Victoria but we already have three or maybe four on our club pond - the Osyssey seems to be a nice looking boat, but there again it's experience with the model that really counts isn't it.    Would appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Ian
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Odyssey II
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »

Hi Ian,

As there already are a few Victoria's sailing at your pond, I'd go for that one, unless you want to own an Odyssey II and never be able to keep up with the Victoria's...

There's a lot of info to be found on the (US) fora on the Victoria, but virtually none on the Odyssey.

I'm sailing a TT Voyager (the ABS 12M version), which I modified a bit and I'm very pleased with her performance.

Regards, Jan
Boaters are nice people

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:29:39 am »

Thanks Jan - I'll bear that in mind as I do my research.  Nice picture by the way - very tidy looking yacht.

Cheers,

Ian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:56:51 am »

If you do opt for the TT Victoria you will also be able to compete with other Vics at your club.

If you don't already have competitions, you can start friendly matches. Maybe the looser brings the biscuits/cookies next time.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »

Have to say I like the idea of the biscuits and cookies.......  really our pond is a bit small for competition sailing other than maybe obstacle courses - however, I'm going to push hard with the committee now for free biscuits and stuff    LOL

Cheers,

Ian

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 01:20:18 pm »

Hi Ian,

As long as you don't sail with dozens of Vic's around the markers, you can sail on a small pond, no problem.
The Victoria will turn on a dime and it's more up to the skippers skill to avoid collisions.

We sail with our slightly larger boats on small ponds and we bring biscuits, no matter what the race results are...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:34:40 pm »

Hi All - I might now return to my original plan to get the Victoria - it does seem to be highly recommended especially for a first time sailer - also it seems to have a very good performance rating.  I've downloaded the manual and it seem a very straightforward boat to build,  however in the manual I can't find any reference to the torque requierd for the sail arm servo.  I've got details of four Hitec servos and their torque ratings are around 19.8kg.cm (HS-815BB)  -  11.0 kg.cm (HS-765HB)  -  13.9 kg.cm ( HS 715) and 11.5 kg.cm (HS 725)   Any advice on what the Victoria would need would be gratefully recived.  Thanks Guys.

Ian

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 01:50:08 am »

About 11kg/cm is plenty.

Some of the more expensive servos are exaclty the same size as a standard servo, and will fit into the radio tray supplied without any need for modification.
My first sail servo was about 6.5kg/cm it operated the sails ok but it died after one season.

I then fitted the Futaba S3802  (11kg/cm), it is about 3mm longer than a standard servo, but with a little bit of cutting out the radio tray slot was made bigger and it fitted nicely. I have been using this servo for a few seasons now with no problems.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:56:13 am »

Thanks Tiger - That sorts out the servo job for me - Grateful for your help.

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.