Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: first time tug towing  (Read 9624 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: first time tug towing
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »

Mike there are a few lads at Kirklees who meet on a Sunday morning at Wilton Park Batley who are trying to get some tug events together for next year.  It will be low key and not too serious to start with as it's not been done there before but they would certainly appreciate some more members to add to the numbers.  Go along one Sunday and have a chat.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »

in my opinion the grey test is a little on the small side for a compleat tug (IE twin prop bow thrust working winch ) not that you need all that. they are just good to build into a hull. you just need something that you can get 60mm props or prop in with a descent battery and be able to put a tow hook on it.
i have been towing for a while and have tried single and twin screw, towing from the bow from the Stearn with and without bow thrusters with and without winches rudders and Kort's and have stuck with twin with thruster and working winch on Kort nozzles that what i like best. i am not saying anyone should do the same but i do think if given the chance they should try towing with as many different types of tug as they can like at one of the pro ams that are run around the country or one of the many tug towing events the lads at the events are allways willing to help a fellow modeller

i gonna stop rambling now thanks

Steve

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:40 pm »

Hi Mike,  Why not put a little more into the tug you have, than build some thing you are not sure of. You say it go's OK have more of a go with the tug on it's own get use to driving/steering it find what the tug will do, because when you hang a large ship on her you will find things are different the ship will want to take over the tug,That's when you say ho sh--t my tugs sinking. Take the advise from Bunkerbarge go to Kirklees ask for Jason he is interested in towing. Hope this helps. :-))

John

tugboyben

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 10:07:39 pm »

hi mike

if you would like to come down to kirkleesmodelboatclub you will be made welcome & bring your tug with you & have a sail  

i have sent you a pm with my phone number if you have time give me a ring tomorrow

best regards Jason

Le Caux Deux

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:33 pm »

Hi All
Thanks for the bits of advice, My tug is Scratch built based on Le Caux at 1/30 scale. I'm a member at Huddersfield, mainly because they were slightly nearer and also Members of MPBA, but I would still enjoy meeting up with some of you with a shared interest. I've done a few mode to the boat already, when I first put it on the water it handled brilliantly going forward but crap backwards, looked about right for speed on 6 volts tried bigger rudders to no effect. After going as a spectator to Balne Moor and talking to them and watching their tugs move I upped my power to 12v which helped, I joined HSME late September then with some advice from them I installed microswitches on the rudder servo to stop the inside motor on the turn, that was a massive improvement so now I've got a machine that I can control going in reverse.  I've just put 60mm 4 blade props on it, the Huddersfield pond is a bit shallow at the moment and with all the leaves it's difficult to judge how much of an improvement thats made, but it dose seam to have given it a little extra bite into the water. I am using a 3 channel radio with single speed controller, I keep thinking of going to 4 channel but not straight away I'll run as I am for next season. I'm planning to go to Warwick this weekend to buy some bits for it so I'll try to see you in a couple of weeks.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.