Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: first time tug towing  (Read 9621 times)

tugboyben

first time tug towing
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:57:13 pm »

hi guys

been to Blane moor today great set of lads john Eric Andy & all the lads for a great day some pictures from today

thanks Jason

tugboyben

Re: first time tug towing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 08:03:15 pm »

more

tugboyben

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »

one more

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »

Thanks  Jason.   It was nice to see you having a good time, Just got some blood back into the fingerends {-)  See Bunkerbarge went home to see if he could have a proper tug.

John.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »

john are you being RUDE   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:07:42 pm »

Great photos Jason,

Is this a Smit Nederland?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »

yes it is martin it is owned by eric austwick

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »

Looks good in yellow!
 Next time you see it, could you get me few (dozen) photos for my collection please?  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:12 pm »

yes of cause martin we may have a few pics knocking around already will have a look

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:40:48 am »

Great day guys, now I can see what the addiction is all about.  Special thanks to Poll for helping to point the Kirklees lads in the right direction and to ministeve for trusting me with what seemed to be generally regarded as the most powerful tug on the pond.

Also my thanks to the team members who were picked to sail with me and didn't show thier dissapointment too much!!

Great day, really good fun and there aren't many club events where you have such good facilities including a constant supply of tea and bacon butties.  Highly recomended to all.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:33:19 am »

Looks good in yellow!
 Next time you see it, could you get me few (dozen) photos for my collection please?  :-)

Hi Martin
This Smit Tug is a lot of years old, When Eric took it in for a referb it came out yellow,we all said WHAT have you painted it Yellow for, Reply,  that's the only colour I've got on the shelf. Then all the fleet comes out Yellow.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:19 pm »

Now that I've got my laptop up and running again here are a couple more shots from the same day.  The TID did find the going a bit tough compared to the twin Kort/double rudder/bowthruster laden opposition but it certainly looked the part and at the end of the day provided just as much enjoyment. ;)
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:42:02 pm »

Thanks Richard, great shots mate.

John

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:21:38 pm »

very nice shots there what camera you use richard

hope to see you again i will have another tug for you next time you can try both

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:27:57 am »

Thanks Richard, great shots mate.

O0 :-))

tugmad

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:42:48 am »

It was nice to the T I D towing  as oppossed to the more modern tugs as when i was a boy (as they say)  all we had were single screw  steamers and not multi directional tugs, I wonder how some of these modern tug guys would grt on with towing withiut a bow thruster and Korts,Schottels,and azimuthing props.

Perhaps we should have different classes for the different types of propulsion?.

wilsonmu

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:10 am »

Could not agree more, I personally would like to see a class for single screw tugs with flat blade rudders and no bow thrusters.

Murray Wilson
Glasgow Richmond Model Boat Club

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 03:41:27 pm »

Quote from: tugmad link=topic=20333.msg 196712#msg 196712 date=1256107368
It was nice to the T I D towing  as opposed to the more modern tugs as when i was a boy (as they say)  all we had were single screw  steamers and not multi directional tugs, I wonder how some of these modern tug guys would get on with towing without a bow thruster and Korts,Sc Hotels,and azimuthing props.

Perhaps we should have different classes for the different types of propulsion?.

Been down that road George not many have that type of tug not enough for a towing regatta.

John.

tugmad

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 04:04:26 pm »

Hi John  I guess we must still be old fashioned at chantry most of us have a single screw single rudder job , I was looking at some video on youtube of tug towing and the tugs were swinging about all over the place Most unrealistic and totaly out of place , BUT it is only my opinion I dont want to upset anybody  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 04:14:12 pm »

Hi John  I guess we must still be old fashioned at chantry most of us have a single screw single rudder job , I was looking at some video on youtube of tug towing and the tugs were swinging about all over the place Most unrealistic and totaly out of place , BUT it is only my opinion I dont want to upset anybody  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Maybe you should be putting out the challenge then to those with single screw and rudders then tugmad. The lads at Kirklees are just starting to get themselves organised with a few ideas on tug towing and there are still a few old steamers amongst them, myself included!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 04:17:52 pm »

very nice shots there what camera you use richard

hope to see you again i will have another tug for you next time you can try both

The camera is a Canon 30D but the real piece of kit is the image stabilised zoom lens.  It even makes some of my bad shots look good, but what I really like is trying to get the subject in focus and the background out of focus on the long shots.

I look forward to the next time Steve, if it's half as much fun as the last tug I'm in for a treat!

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:44 pm »

we have tried to resurrect the single screw tug towing and as poll says not everyone has them and even less set up for the rigours of tug towing.
i have a norton cross single with a 55mm prop in a Kort and can on occasion do a very good job with her i do have to switch the thruster off though

PS any one wanting to invite us tuggies to a regatta would have there hand took off we are allways looking for new water  :-))

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 10:32:53 pm »

Hi George,   I think we at Balne Moor Try to cater for all types of tugs, We have new people coming along to have a go so we try to cater for them too,
The lake/pond do's not lend it's self to have a long type tow ( from one end of the pond and back to the other ) So the courses are more maneuverable
so the single screw tend to struggle. Ellesmere port don't have a lot of room where thy tow so space is limited also the wind in that area is not good so the tugs have a tendency to bob about, if I can I will post a Balne Moor towing course.
Cheers

John

Le Caux Deux

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 10:13:51 pm »

Hi
I've just built my first tug, and would like to find someone reasonably local to join forces with to enter tug towing events next year, I don't want to get too serious about it just to have some enjoyable Sundays. My boat is still in need of the finishing touches but handles well on the water

Mike

Le Caux Deux

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 07:35:42 pm »

Hi
I notice a picture of Angiaman / Grey Test has anyone any thoughts about it as a Tow Boat thinking of buying either that or Nangee anyone any advice, I'd like to build a kit about the same scale as my first tug which was scratch built from MM drawings but I don't want a boat that is too big or too difficult as this would be my first Kit build.

Mike

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.