Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: to mix or not to mix ???  (Read 5983 times)

stonker

to mix or not to mix ???
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:41 pm »

advice wanted||is it better to use a mixer or not??? is it possible to drive your boats just as good on two sticks, and steer and thrust at the same time??? any comments and advice wanted, many thanks STONKER

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: to mix or not to mix ???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:48 pm »

I think it all comes down to practice. I've found it easier to use a mixer straight off but practice with two sticks has improved my performance. Still got a long way to go. Ultimately I think 2 sticks gives you more control.

JMO

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:08 pm »

Hi Stonker,  Only my opinion, If you have a 4/6 channel radio then use the sticks, if It's twin screw and using a 2channel radio then use a mixer.

John.

stonker

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14:52 pm »

hi POLL have you guessed the name yet STEVE???

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:39:34 pm »

what type of boat is it , if it is a high speed boat use sticks because most mixers start slowing the inside motor the more rudder you put on so if its a fast boat every time you turn you slow and drop of the plane. if its a tug or slowish boat  they are great fun.

Peter

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »

This might help clear up a few hazy spots:
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Twins%20Ver2.pdf
BTW our customer Andy Kelley came second in the MPBA Open Navigation Competition using a P94 ESC/Mixer in his Stanforce tug - see our homepage for further details.
FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:45:29 am »

A P94 from ACTion Electronics and two sticks should solve your problems, it is an excellent bit of kit, I have one in my Sentinel.

I shall also be getting another one for my Al Khubar.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:40 am »

Hi ya there

First of all - as already has been suggested we do really need to know what type of boat the mix is going to be fitted in; but here are a few things for you to ponder over ..

With the new age of this 2.4 style radio stuff there are mixer functions already built into the programmes, allowing you to mix several channels.   The way I grasp this technology of the 2.4 programming is you still require to use 3 channels of your radio.  Two throttle channels to be mixed plus the 3rd one for your rudder.   So you are tying up 3 channels in your radio set.    

The other options are to buy a mixer unit; dedicated for marine use - not one of these Y tale mixer thingies, although they are supposed to be pretty good.  But, if you go and purchase a dedicated marine mixer from a guy not too far from here who now and again steps into ACTion... you will find with these mixers you only require 2 channels.   You will still get full mix on both motors, with 1 stick on your throttle. Now there is a newish unit on the market the 94, which incorporates 2 speed controllers and a mixer in one small package.  Now this unit, inside, has several programmable switches and depending on how you set the switches up on the inside, you can have a mix when the boat is stationery where when you move the rudders from port to starboard, it naturally kicks in the motors to mix, even though you havent moved the throttle stick.

If you switch to the other set up with the switches, when you move the rudders port to starboard nothing happens until you move Also, there is a facility for adding a 3rd speed controller for triple motor setup.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

colin-d

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »

i am using the P94 from Action in my HMS Inflexible.

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/forum1/index.php?topic=144.msg752#msg752

its the first time i have used a mixer/controller (ESC) in a model, its the first time i have ever built a twin screw...

but so far, the on-the water tests that i have carried out so far (model is not finished yet) everything is fantastic..  O0

if you have a 2 or more channel radio gear and its a manual one, not one of these computer assisted radio gear then the P94 is the best thing since sliced bread..

if you have a computer assisted radio gear, then it might be better considering the mixing with in the transmitter..

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:32:19 pm »

it depends on what you are doing with your boat if tug towing then you can not beat twin sticks in the right hands when using a mixer your hands (props) are a little tied but it all depends on your ability to control your boat. twin is harder to control than mixed but you Carnot do some maneuvers with a mixer  that you can with twin i suppose it is 6 of one half a dozen of another but all mpba winners use twin sticks  :-)) just my opinion

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 10:18:25 pm »

i use on southampton a mixed set up, found co-ordinating the set up on tank steering a bit awkward, the mixer i use is on the tx programing software under ELEVON, and put the radio in Mode3, which puts it all on the natural stick to use, THE LEFT HAND STICK
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:20:32 am »

On my1/12 Arun Lifeboat I use an F14navy with the twin sticks its the only way I can get the control I need. my Arun was the one on the water at Blackpool last weekend along with the Severn that belongs to a friend which is also on an F14 with the twin sticks. Anyone who was there will tell you how manoeuvrable they were which you could not do with a mixer. The only mixer is the one between the helmsman's ears.

Rick Jones

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 10:29:43 am »

Not really the right place to post this but it is loosley related....
Is there any benefit having independant control of azimuth stern drives (graupner type)??

I Know the full size tugs have this feature but I cant see it being a bonus in a model

Cheers
Rick

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:58:21 am »

On my1/12 Arun Lifeboat I use an F14navy with the twin sticks its the only way I can get the control I need.

Fair enough, John - but I've never figured out how you operate one of those trannies. You obviously need a neckstrap to hold it up, but do you use one forefinger and thumb for each of the two sticks - in which case how do you operate the rudder at the same time - or don't you? Please satisfy my curiosity (and please turn the %$£*&^! volume down a bit next time!!)
FLJ

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

Rick

I have just been setting my tug up with independent azithmuth drives on two sticks, all I can say is the control is superb (as long as you are not distracted, then it goes to rat s**t).

Worth the time and effort to play with.

I use a P94 mixer in my paddler which I must say would be a real problem to control without it, and yes I know it is not prototypical  :police:

Big-Geoff

Rick Jones

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 12:21:44 am »

Thanks Geff,
I may have given a bum steer. When i said independant controll of the azimuth stern drives I was referring to the rudder action rather than propeller control.
Do you have control of each?

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 07:20:37 pm »

Quote from: Rick Jones link=topic=20386.msg 197240#msg 197240 date=1256340104
Thanks Jeff,
I may have given a bum steer. When i said independent control of the azimuth stern drives I was referring to the rudder action rather than propeller control.
Do you have control of each?

Hi Rick. It's a little hard work using them independent, OK when you are close on to the dock area.

John

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:05 am »

Just one little comment on the P94....

If you are running it on a 4 or higher channel setup you can choose to operate it either in Mixer mode or in Dual Esc mode - this allows you to play with the cohfiguration to see what gives you the best combination of ease of use and controllability.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.