Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comtesse and sails  (Read 3274 times)

Sailmaker

Comtesse and sails
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:09:36 pm »

Since finishing the Comtesse build I have attempted to sail it 6 times.
On 3 occasions the wind was too light and it would not move, once it was somewhat tricky due to wind strength and the last 2 attempts were a disaster.
It appears that the Comtesse can only be described as a pond yacht capable of performing in a light breeze.
Yesterday I went to the club lake and several members were sailing their 1 metre class boats in heavy weather rig ploughing into the water bow down yet giving a good performance. However when I launched the Comtesse it flew across the lake on its side out of control and ended up aground.

My question is this,
If I reduce the sail size to compensate for heavy weather, how much should I reduce the main size by. Currently the main is 44 inches.

I have arranged to but a 1 metre boat so as to be able to compete in the winter weather so do I just scrap the Comtesse.

Pity the company advert was not more useful.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Comtesse and sails
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:01:34 am »

Hi Sailmaker

Not a simple question, even International One Meter (IOM) boats have 3 sets of sails for varying wind conditions.

There is a big difference between a beginner boat (which is what you were looking for in the Comtesse and Victoria) and something like an IOM.

If you want one meter performance, the best (least frustrating, most successful and probably cheapest) thing you can do is move up to that level.
I cannot recommend the cheap RTR one meter boats. They will give you very poor performance, unless you are ready to completely re-rig them.
But moving up to boats like the Kyosho Sea Wind, or the Victor Models Soling 1m would be a good next step.

Or go the whole hog and get an IOM, but that could easily cost you over a grand if you want something competitive.

Cheapest solution would be to look for a second hand one meter or a Marblehead. Old (with no longer competitive hull) boats sometimes come up for under £200.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bugsy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:57:04 am »

Hi SM,
I found that the stock sail set-up is awful in light winds. The plastic reinforcement on the sail corners render it impossible to achieve a good sail shape.

I've cut mine down to the minimum but they would be better attached by using ferrules and dacron.

In brisker winds I set the sails to just allow a tight fit finger to fit between the boom and the sail and reduce the slot to about 20mm. It goes well with this setup but needs more ballast really. I refuse to pay 43 euros for the wing keel so will probably try and make one.

Its only a cruising boat, of course.

My new boat I'm scratch-building will be much quicker  ok2

Sonparc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:29:56 pm »

Hi Sailmaker

I also have a Comtesse and have had plenty of enjoyment from it.I agree it cannot handle strong winds but no yacht can sail in no wind so pick your sailing days - most days in England seem to have enough wind to get it going.

I also have an Atlantis and that also has its lee rail under in a stiff breeze.

Keep on Sailing!

Sonparc

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 10:41:08 pm »

We have several countess's in our club and from what I can see the older ones seem to handle the stronger winds better than the newer ones ... I have often seen some of the older boats sailing in force 5 touching 6 under full control and these boats have had no major mod's to them ... I don't have one my self but have been amazed how sea worthy and responsive they are ... the only short comming I can see is they don't like to tack in a short choppy sea and you have to rig a Dutchman's purchase on the main sheet to get it the main out far enough to wear ship if you can't tack :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Sailmaker

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:30:45 pm »

Since I became  fed up with the Comtesse I ended up scrapping it and now have a "Triple Crown" IOM class.
Now I can sail in all weathers and in fact did so with the storm rig fitted during a gale.
Very impressive ploughing through the waves.
From my perspective it was a complete waste of time and money buying a toy boat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.