Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metcalf Mouldings Query  (Read 8038 times)

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
Metcalf Mouldings Query
« on: November 25, 2006, 02:55:05 pm »

Hi Folks..

Has anyone bought the Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull and Superstructure from Metcalf Mouldings?  If so what standard was it?

I've heard different reports on Metcalf Moulding and not sure what way to go.

Regards

Declan

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Metcalf Mouldings Query
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 03:18:31 pm »

I bought their Hull and Superstructure about three years ago. Had no complaints about the quality and finish.The superstructure is basic and needs lots of additional bits added. Good plan included  but still took lots of photos of the one I wanted to model. ( No problem for you though - weren't you a crew member on a your local Mersey ?)

Makes up into a nice model.

Don B

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 03:40:01 pm »

Hi Folks..

Has anyone bought the Mersey Class Lifeboat Hull and Superstructure from Metcalf Mouldings?  If so what standard was it?

I've heard different reports on Metcalf Moulding and not sure what way to go.

Regards

Declan

Declan stop being a wimp and build your own hull !! ;)

You know it makes sense  8)!!

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 06:45:36 pm »

I bought their Hull and Superstructure about three years ago. Had no complaints about the quality and finish.The superstructure is basic and needs lots of additional bits added. Good plan included  but still took lots of photos of the one I wanted to model. ( No problem for you though - weren't you a crew member on a your local Mersey ?)

Don B

Cheers Don.  I think I'll bite the bullet and go for it so that I have it in storage. I hopefully shouldn't have any problems getting photos from my local station.  Then again, I didn't quite part on the best of terms  ;)

Mike, based on what you did, I don't have a big enough driveway and the 'slip' in my 'Cul-de-Sac' is uphill  ;D ;D ;D

Declan

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 07:30:14 pm »

Don B

Cheers Don.  I think I'll bite the bullet and go for it so that I have it in storage. I hopefully shouldn't have any problems getting photos from my local station.  Then again, I didn't quite part on the best of terms  ;)

Mike, based on what you did, I don't have a big enough driveway and the 'slip' in my 'Cul-de-Sac' is uphill  ;D ;D ;D

Declan

Then build a Tyne Declan !! ;)  :D :D :D
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 08:26:41 pm »

Don B

Declan

Then build a Tyne Declan !! ;)  :D :D :D

Heh..heh!!

Seriously, I'd like to learn to build from 'scratch' as such.  Unfortunately, I don't have a garage - yet!  I'm luck to be able to use the spare room.  My Model Slipway is sitting in the corner of the room in 'Dry Dock' being 'fitted out'.

Planning has just been granted for a garage but I have to wait until next year until my current mortgage deal expires so that I can negotiate another deal and add a few thousand on to build the garage.

SWMBO isn't quite happen though.  Imagine her wanting to put our car in MY garage  :o

Did you ever hear the like of it!!  ;D

Declan
Declan

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 08:34:51 pm »

Declan

Tell SWMBO that it is now generally considered bad practice to put a car in a garage especially when wet. Leaving a car outside allows it to dry and reduces the likelihood of corrosion. The latter is likely to be accelerated by the warmth of a garage.

Don't mention frosty mornings or insurance premiums.

By the way this info was given to me by my advanced motorist wife, who leaves her car on the drive and doesn't park it in MY workshop.  :)

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 08:38:23 pm »

Who needs a garage Declan?? I know I have a large workshop BUT I do most of my building in the kitchen!!  8)

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 11:00:29 pm »

Who needs a garage Declan?? I know I have a large workshop BUT I do most of my building in the kitchen!!  8)

Your're either not married or married  a 'good un'

Declan

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 11:05:24 pm »

Your're either not married or married  a 'good un'

Declan

I married a 'The Best One' 31 years ago mate  ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 07:48:22 pm »

Good on ya!!

My indoors in not bad either based on statements from club members on their wives

Declan

Aston

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 11:37:09 pm »

I've been in gribeauval's kitchen when the beast was in residence as shown in the photo  :o  Didn't meet "the best one", but she surely must be  ::)

And now he's building one even bigger :o :o :o

Aston

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 09:40:32 am »

I've been in gribeauval's kitchen when the beast was in residence as shown in the photo  :o  Didn't meet "the best one", but she surely must be  ::)

Aston

The bigger Mersey is on hold until the spring as it needs to be built outdoors, it's too damm big for the workshop doors!!  :o.

However the kitchen has a 1/12th scale Boathouse for my Tyne Class Lifeboat slipway launch project in it at the moment, and still only getting the very occasional minor grumble!!  8)

Mike
    Mersey Class Lifeboats Rule !!    
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 11:32:06 pm »

Aston

Hi MikThe bigger Mersey is on hold until the spring as it needs to be built outdoors, it's too damm big for the workshop doors!!  :o.

However the kitchen has a 1/12th scale Boathouse for my Tyne Class Lifeboat slipway launch project in it at the moment, and still only getting the very occasional minor grumble!!  8)

Mike
    Mersey Class Lifeboats Rule !!    

Hi Mike

Would you not just be better buying a big Mersey from the RNLI and have 'Real' fun  ;D ;D

The RNLI let me 'play' with one of their Merseys and I got to do all sorts of things with it (even on some real nasty nights) - I even used the Emergency Steering which was great craic at speed.  Pity management was(is) a bit short sighted  ::)

Ah Well.  Back to the model. The cox'n on this one won't have an attitude   ;)

Declan

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 11:44:02 pm »

The problem is Declan that I live 75 miles from the coast in any direction or I would play with the real thing!!  ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 12:04:42 am »

The problem is Declan that I live 75 miles from the coast in any direction or I would play with the real thing!! 

I thought nowhere in England was more than 70 miles from the coast - do you live down a hole?  :o

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 02:50:17 pm »

75 miles by road, not in a straight line smart ar5e! 8)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 03:40:19 pm »

75 miles by road, not in a straight line smart ar5e! 8)

;D ;D ;D ROFLMAO

Declan

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 03:16:50 pm »

Don B

Hi Don B..

What was their delivery response like after placing order?

I just emailed Metcalf mouldings on the matter but the email address doesn't seem to exist - message returned to me.  I'll ring them tomorrow.

I'm in no immediate rush but I would like to get the goods ordered but not have to chase up on the order as I have had to do with some other firms. If I have a rough delivery time then that would be fine.  I know they probably won't have a hull and superstructure in stock as it is probably a 'manufacture when ordered' situation in terms of the materials used in the construction of the hull and superstructure.

Declan

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 04:30:27 pm »

Hi Barry

I finished the Mersey in September 2004 so would have got the mouldings about July.  I can't remember any problems with delivery. I ordered by phone and he was very good to deal with. I suppose it must have been about a couple of weeks from order to delivery but can't say for certain.  My memory isn't as good as it once was ( well for recent things anyway) but I do remember if things go wrong and this didn't.

Best of luck with your order.

Don

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 04:32:35 pm »

Hi Barry

I finished the Mersey in September 2004 so would have got the mouldings about July.  I can't remember any problems with delivery. I ordered by phone and he was very good to deal with. I suppose it must have been about a couple of weeks from order to delivery but can't say for certain.  My memory isn't as good as it once was ( well for recent things anyway) but I do remember if things go wrong and this didn't.

Best of luck with your order.

Don

Cheers Don.

Thanks for that. Did you purchase the fittings kit from metcalf mouldings?

Declan

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006, 04:58:49 pm »

[

Thanks for that. Did you purchase the fittings kit from metcalf mouldings?

Declan

Yes -  there were quite a few items that were not appropriate for the Mersey after its latest update though. I suspect the pack covered most of the boats in their range. For example a fisherman anchor instead of a plough type anchor.

The stanchions, although accurate style were white metal - I found these would not stand up to day to day use and in the end replaced them with substantial  home made brass ones. Not quite scale but I don't break them everytime I carry  the boat now.

He also sold me a pack of styrene sheet (including thickish clear for the windows) - saved a lot of trouble sourcing this afterwards.

Don

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006, 06:59:39 pm »

Speedline models were also in a position to offer me a windows glazing set for the Mersey.  I must get back in contact with him to see what else he has to offer.

Regards

Declan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.