Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bow thrusters as main drive source  (Read 6190 times)

Hagar

Bow thrusters as main drive source
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:31:57 pm »

Well its that time again. Would a bow thruster say rabotech, be usable at the main propulion unit on a Bait boat!
Been looking at this one: http://www.modelskibet.dk/product.asp?product=3602 I know its in danish but the specs are easy enough to read.
Would it be possible to change the motor to 12v one.

Im not after speed here, Im after a good power with a long running time per charge. Normalt use would be 15 mins a run .

Should you know of something more suitable, prey tell about it!

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: Bow thrusters as main drive source
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:31:51 pm »

From what I have heard, the thrust is marginal, and would not be suited as main propulsion.
Second, the it is not designed for continuous use. and the would probably suffer from
overheating, of drive train failure due to being run constantly.

:((

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:42:33 pm »

Adding to Umi's comments

I have a Raboesch BT and I think it would be quite difficult to change the motor. Also the instructions warn against continuous running.

A non starter for you I would say.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Hagar

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:50:37 pm »

Avoiding the commercial water-jets, any suggestions as a drive unit.
The plan is to have two in a catamaran hull, one in each hull so that water is sucked in from the front and pushed out the back. Tank steering to turn and reverse. Have a total running time of two or three hours on a 12v lead battery.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »

This might give food for thought. Works for a few already out there in Carpland.
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Bait%20Boat%20Version%202%20.pdf
If you want reverse you'll need four pumps, as they don't work very well backwards.
FLJ

Hagar

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:53:00 pm »

Nice one Mr Jacket! Can it be done with usíng one stick, ie the left hand via a mixer? Seen it some where, might even have been on your (?) site, I seem to have a p38, might of been a p94 noted down for some reason!

I need to keep the other stick open for 'other' jobs, open the two hoppers one at a time and drop a tackle or two. (thinking of a tug boat tow release type of thingie).

Regarding the pumps v thrusters.
On another thread I saw some one explaining how he made his own thrusters, A motor coupled to a shaft that it in turn conected to a CV coupler. Same set up onto a four or five bladed screw turned down to fit snugly in an apropriat tube...... High torque motor.....

andyn

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:14:54 pm »

Why use jet drives????

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Hagar

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 08:20:42 am »

Why use jet drives????

props have a nasty habbit of either cutting or tangling up fishing line, getting broken when you beach the boat or both.

Have a look at this: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20067.msg193960#msg193960

Thanks boss!

playing with a design or two, post some thing later.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 10:10:11 am »

Can it be done with usíng one stick, ie the left hand via a mixer? YES Seen it some where, might even have been on your (?) site, I seem to have a p38, might have been a P94 noted down for some reason! P38 is a signal meter - 't was P94.
Jet drives need high-current motors and are still prone to ingesting weed. The Cognoscenti all seem to use Rule 12v bilge pumps.
I merely pass on what I'm told by the Carpies..........
FLJ

andyn

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »

props have a nasty habbit of either cutting or tangling up fishing line, getting broken when you beach the boat or both.

Then why not fit a guard around them? Jet drives are horribly inefficient and as FLJ says they need high current motors. I personally don't see the point in them in models.

Hagar

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 09:31:40 am »

Jet drives need high-current motors and are still prone to ingesting weed. The Cognoscenti all seem to use Rule 12v bilge pumps.
I merely pass on what I'm told by the Carpies..........
FLJ

Anyone got a heads up on a suitable bilge pump? not that easy to find when you dont know what to look for! E-bay has loads, but how many gallons per hour do yu need to push a bait boat?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 03:44:03 pm »

Anyone got a heads up on a suitable bilge pump? not that easy to find when you dont know what to look for! E-bay has loads, but how many gallons per hour do yu need to push a bait boat?

Bilge pumps are good for moving large quantities of water.. but not very good for providing thrust for a model boat..

You are better off going for standard props and rudders, easier and more efficient.. but keep away from weeds or you will trap your boat..

If your pool is weedy, go for a 'jet' style propulsion system with mesh guards over the intakes... or an airboat..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869727

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:06:22 pm »

Easy option buy a catapult  {-) {-)

John

Hagar

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:47:27 pm »

Bilge pumps are good for moving large quantities of water.. but not very good for providing thrust for a model boat..

They are good enough, quite and dont get in the way.

You are better off going for standard props and rudders, easier and more efficient.. but keep away from weeds or you will trap your boat....

As the places it would be used are weedy that is just the problem. and the idea is to avoid getting the row boat out to rescue it.

If your pool is weedy, go for a 'jet' style propulsion system with mesh guards over the intakes... or an airboat....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869727

Air boats are just to loud.

I

Hagar

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »

Easy option buy a catapult  {-) {-)

John

Got one of those, but to get to 2-300 yards, i dont think I could pull the elastic that hard.  {-)

FMJ sent me a link to some pumps that look very capable. so I think I have found the source for the drives I am after. Thank you Mr. Jacket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.