Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Archer Hardware  (Read 2215 times)

BreezyB

Gay Archer Hardware
« on: October 23, 2009, 04:09:42 pm »

Anyone following the restoration of the Gay Archer berthed at Watchet Harbour??. I went to see her last summer and took loads of photographs with a mind to build a R/C model this winter. However a friend of mine visited her recently and emailed a photograph of her in her new position in the harbour.
I noticed that a new piece of kit had been added beside the port torpedo tube which hadn't been there before (Ringed in Red). I wonder if it is the same equipment which was leaning against the port tube shown in the 2008 photo.
Can anyone recognise what it is please. :-))
Thanks
Barrie.
PS I've had to use Photo Bucket as the "Add Image" feature keeps giving me "Bad Gateway" !!!!!!!

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Gay Archer Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:10:42 pm »

Hi Barrie,
It looks very much like a 2" Rocket Flare Launcher to me or 2" RFL if you prefer. I used to have to load and fire the darned things during my time in the RN, so I'm pretty certain that's what it is.

Danny

BreezyB

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:37:32 pm »

Many thanks, Danny, I just couldn't decide what it was, but your explanation makes sense. It sounds as if you are glad not to have any more to do with them now!!!!!. O0
Regards
Barrie.

tony52

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:22:47 pm »

Barrie,

MMI March 1997 fetured a 3 page item on Gay Class FPB's. Written by Les Brown. Photo's show 'Gay Bombadier'.

Do you have a copy? if not and you would be interested please send a pm.

DARLEK1

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:53:28 am »

Yep, definately a 2" flare launcher!
 Paul... :-)

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:58 am »

Hi Barrie,

Like most things containing any form of explosive, they are all very well and good when working correctly, but a pain when anything goes wrong! I seem to remember 2" RFL's were prone to the occasional misfire, and even worse, hang-fires, where they fired some time after the button was pressed, quite scary if you were just going to investigate!!!

Danny
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.