Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How the pro's do it  (Read 10660 times)

andygh

How the pro's do it
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How the pro's do it
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:30 pm »

Inspiring   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:18:06 am »

Inspiring   :-))

ken

Indeed. Now, let's see them weathered..... ok2

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:49:48 pm »

OK. Very nice. Well proportioned and very precise.....and very sterile. These are "architectural models" and as such they have no love or feel to them. Everything is just "too perfect"....which I suppose the buyer wanted. I would think that the team of modellers involved would be just as precise when building (say) a Cathedral, an Oil Rig or a car. "Give me the drawings, and I'll make it". Never mind that the buider has never seen the real item in "the flesh".
I think I'll stick to my "warts and all" approach to modelling, and try to put something of "me" into each one. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

andygh

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »

ha  {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:49 pm »

I have to agree, most likely its perfectly to scale and everything is in exactly the right place but its just not that pleasing on the eye.  As someone else said, very sterile.
A model is not a model unless it contains at least a little flesh and blood of the builder, quite often literally! lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bowwave

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:50:17 pm »

OK. Very nice. Well proportioned and very precise.....and very sterile. These are "architectural models" and as such they have no love or feel to them. Everything is just "too perfect"....which I suppose the buyer wanted. I would think that the team of modellers involved would be just as precise when building (say) a Cathedral, an Oil Rig or a car. "Give me the drawings, and I'll make it". Never mind that the buider has never seen the real item in "the flesh".
I think I'll stick to my "warts and all" approach to modelling, and try to put something of "me" into each one. BY.
Brian I agree with all you say but when is a good model outstanding  and why . Should it reflect real life or be a superbly  crafted  replica of the real thing  the two are not nesseseraly the same ?  regardless  of who the builder is.
Bowwave

pond boat

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:08 pm »

I don't think I could reach that quality if I tried.  They look so perfect that they look like a plastic model almost like from a production line, Perfect.
 I like to think of the work as a painting You build up the layers but you don't necessarily cover the lines from where the vision came from kinda. Scuffs and lived in look sounds good to / personality.

Hammer

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »

I believe these models are built by craftsmen they could make 2 or 3 all the same. Were as model made buy modelers are ART they are never identical? Hammer

bobdoc

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »

I wonder if anyone has a photo of one of the originals: e.g. tug Bruiser, Clyde Marine Ltd or Corusik, Caledonian McBrayne?

Just a thought.

bobdoc

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:36:54 am »

I'd love to visit their workshops. I'm glad their customers gave OCC a miss.  :-)

bobdoc

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:56:55 pm »

Two working versions: first MV Corusik

bobdoc

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 12:58:37 pm »

and the other: not so much the model, more the setting (and people)

Bobdoc

andygh

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 03:06:46 pm »

I suppose it's all down to whether want your models to be a miniature replica of the real thing or your own interpretation of it. I prefer a bit of both to be honest  {:-{

john j

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:06:16 am »

Architctural models are undoubtedly works of art, but for me they just dont have any character.

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:14:38 am »

i think the models built by a team do lack a certain amount of " character  " but models from one builder usually do not . All builders have an unconcious signature that enables them to be idetified ie:  Nornan Ough's work is unmistakenly his .  www.johnrhaynes.com

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:58 pm »

Professional ship modellers do seem to be less concerned about fine detail and concentrate their effort on reproducing accurately the  proportion and form of their subject and it's features. They probably construct from the building plans before  the vessel is even launched or fitted out. I have known two time served 'pattern makers' and their trade skills and precise knowledge of timber are evident in this discipline of ship modelling together with the astonishing quality of 'finish and presention' these models display. My local museum exhibits models from 1900 onwards and this 'professional style' of scale model building is an ongoing tradition from the past.   :-)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:34:51 pm »

What would be the going rate for one of the larger models i wonder :o

dbninja

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:49 pm »

What would be the going rate for one of the larger models i wonder :o

now then...

i am one of those people that "do it for a living"  an industrial architectural modelmaker...

yes i build those clinical sterile models for a living...   one day a hair dryer, the next a passenger ferry, next week the interior of the latest high tech fighter plane!

and just to answer all you doubters and despots.............

every model gets treated and built to the very same high standard!   regardless of subject matter, they are deliberately built to the standard the industry expects!

we are not allowed to get personal!

how much does it cost?

you really do not want to ask!   lets start at £100 000.  £250 000, £500 000  need i go on?

this is not about some highly skilled "old chap" beavering away in his shed for five years!

these are models built to exacting standards in usually very short time scales built by 1, 10, 20 men in 4 weeks to meet a deadline on the 1st of next month!

hobby builders have got no idea of the pressure of meeting insane delivery dates and massive budget restrictions..  300hours is 300 hours!

300 hours sound a lot?   so lets start dividing that by a 36 hour week x the number of men on that particular job......

you are kidding me!!!!    yep thats every day in modelmaker land!

my own "hobby models" = none of the above!     i have some "proper dogs"  that i love to bits!  it's almost "anti-work!"

and yes!  every model is a busman's holiday!    except!

real skill is better appreciated

db

Hammer

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:23:21 pm »

Nice to know you still enjoy modeling as a hobby db. hammer

The Vanity

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »

DB, well said. As an ex "team" modelmaker (Thorp's and Karslake's) and ever since a one man band I couldn't agree with you more.  I still work quicker than the average hobbyist because the sooner a job was done, the sooner I got an invoice in and waited weeks for payment.
But when I made my models as a one man band, I usually made stuff I liked and sold them, only sometimes did I get a commission direct, but when a modelmaker gets a commission he HAS to make it as perfect as possible or how on Earth would he get paid?

You wouldn't order a new car and accept lumps and bumps in the upholstery because it made it "theirs".  It ain't theirs, it's yours, you just paid for it and you wanted the best shiny orange peel Mercedes could give you ok2

The shipyard models are usually built as promotional tools as someone said, before the full size is built. Oil installation models are built VERY accurately as design tools.

Having said all the above there is still a wee bit of license available.  I see John Heynes name up there.  Hi John, we spoke years ago...he has some soul in his work, so did the greatest model car builder ever, Henri Baigent, whereas perfect though Gerald Wingrove's work was, it always lacked any real soul.

Work done for a major company, often through an ordering agent has to be to the very highest standard, often with exaggerated finishes, like lots of brass handrails.  That's where you get your living from.  I make models with a sense of place or time or soul because I don't take vast amounts of money off companies any more. I'm lucky I don't need to. 
There is also the actual machine making of a lot of stuff now, produced by stereo lithography, stereo sintering, LOM, CNC etc.  That's where most of your soul gets eaten!  But it's all that can keep any industry in this country any more by making the unit price more affordable.

Regards,
V

Dave stone

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:43 am »

Nice toys .. now where are the models with feeling in them?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 10:33:49 am »

Nice toys .. now where are the models with feeling in them?

Oh, you wanted feeling?

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAHJbJieV0o and remember your first boat. Better than that professional model, wasn't it...?

vintagent

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:52 am »

So how far do you go with this "feeling" thing?

Vintagent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.