Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigation lights  (Read 3028 times)

cannonball

Navigation lights
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:35:46 pm »

I am building deans trawler Tradition could someone please enlighten me as to the sequence of the fourmast navigation lights. white-green-?-? Cheers. Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Navigation lights
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:34:49 pm »

Sorry I missed this one. Are you referring to the Tri-coloured lantern? If so, then the white central part is visible from right ahead to 22.5* each side of the bow. The coloured segments are visible from 22.5* off the bow to 22.5* abaft the beam.....when the stern light becomes visible. Rule 9 in the "regs". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

meyer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:08:01 pm »

MFV should be showing green over white in addition to running lights

Green over White
Trawling tonight

Rule 26

Fishing Vessels

(a) A vessel engaged in fishing, whether underway or at anchor, shall exhibit only the lights and shapes prescribed in this Rule.

(b) A vessel when engaged in trawling, by which is meant the dragging through the water of a dredge net or other apparatus used as a fishing appliance, shall exhibit:

1. two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being green and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with their apexes together in a vertical line one above the other;
   2. a masthead light abaft of and higher than the all-round green light; a vessel of less than 50 metres in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
   3. when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.

(c) A vessel engaged in fishing, other than trawling, shall exhibit:

1. two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with apexes together in a vertical line one above the other;
   2. when there is outlying gear extending more than 150 metres horizontally from the vessel, an all-round white light or a cone apex upwards in the direction of the gear;
   3. when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.

(d) The additional signals described in Annex II to these Regulations apply to a vessel engaged in fishing in close proximity to other vessels engaged in fishing.

(e) A vessel when not engaged in fishing shall not exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in this Rule, but only those prescribed for a vessel of her length.

cannonball

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:32:05 pm »

Thanks for the information .Cheers Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:14 pm »

Just a comment on this subject. I am all in favour of models showing the correct navigation lights but most of those I have seen use very bright lights. In reality the navigation lights on full size vessels are quite dim compared with other lighting on the ship and you have to look quite hard for them. The examples below show what I mean. And before anybody asks - the tug Bustler was going astern at the time and its navlights were reversed accordingly.

Colin

More Coffee

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:50:13 pm »

As Colin says they are quite bright the Leds and some smaller bulb's..

But they can be toned down either by resistors or transparent paint ..Ie: varnish ,Tamiya clear paints and such ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.