Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Servos to use with a Spektrum 2.4 radio  (Read 2805 times)

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Servos to use with a Spektrum 2.4 radio
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:40 am »

Hi Guys (and especially Guy), like many others my friends and I have recently purchased 2.4G Spektrum sets, Dx5E and AR500 receivers. The first person to try to use his can get it to bind just fine using the updated instructions regarding releasing the Trainer switch immediately the LED's come on and we repeated the process for another receiver however after plugging in his servos there was no reaction from them to any movement of any of the Tx controls. This boat has Acoms servos fitted. We then tried another boat with a HiTech servo and a HiTech sail winch, again no reactions. At a later time he tried Spektrum servos and both worked. Is it possible that some servos have different connections or polarity (and if so how do we change the connections) or do these sets only work with newer types or digital servos? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks, Ian.

tomo55

Re: Servos to use with a Spektrum 2.4 radio
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:21:36 am »

Hi Ian , ive been using spektrum for a while Dx6i and more recently Dx7 and I have used all sorts of servos Futaba / Hitec all work as they should.
Cant think as why yours wont operate with other makes.
Chris

stallspeed

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:36:15 pm »

Two folk with Futaba receivers came to me with the same problem.One had an Acoms servo and four alkaline pencells to power the receiver,the other had a Fleet servo and a 5-cell nicd pack for the receiver.

The servos required a minimum signal amplitude which was voltage dependant(>half the supply voltage).Four nicd cells made the servos work,changing back to the higher voltage battery stopped any servo response.

wideawake

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:59:22 pm »

Hi Ian

This is Guy!   I've tried several types of servo , Spektrum, Hitec and "nameless" with both my Spektrum sets and three types of RX.  No problems with any of them.   However all have been using 4 cell NiMH packs ie 4.8 volts.   I can't think of any reason why you should be having problems assuming that the servos are plugged in the right way round.   If the plugs don't have locating lugs you could try reversing the plug in the socket as an experiment.    The correct wiring forthe RX isshown by +, - and sqaure wave symbols beside the multisocket if I remember correctly.

HTH

Guy

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:08:03 pm »

Hi Ian

This is Guy!   I've tried several types of servo , Spektrum, Hitec and "nameless" with both my Spektrum sets and three types of RX.  No problems with any of them.   However all have been using 4 cell NiMH packs ie 4.8 volts.   I can't think of any reason why you should be having problems assuming that the servos are plugged in the right way round.   If the plugs don't have locating lugs you could try reversing the plug in the socket as an experiment.    The correct wiring forthe RX isshown by +, - and sqaure wave symbols beside the multisocket if I remember correctly.

HTH

Guy

The signal (white or yellow normally) goes to the "inside" of the Rx on a Spektrum.

Barrie

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:26:54 am »

Thanks for that, following Barries suggestion of white or yellow to the inside we changed the connectors around and now all the servos work on both 4.8 and 6.0volt Rx battery packs. Another Mayhem Miracle. Cheers, Ian.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 01:16:02 pm »

Ian,

If you get out your magnifying glass, the positions are marked on the front of the AR500 - as Guy says a square wave indicates the signal, but as I say you do have to look very carefully %%

Barrie

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:24:59 am »

Thanks for that, I will have a look in daylight and spread the word to the other members of the group on Sunday. Do you know what the wire colours mean on the common makes of servo? Thanks, Ian.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 01:20:19 pm »

Ian

White/Yellow  is signal
Red is Positive supply
Black/Brown is Negative

This covers Hitec/Futaba - not sure about other makes.

Barrie

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 10:00:28 am »

Great, thanks for that, it covers the servos I have. Cheers, Ian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.