Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Were they planked?  (Read 3110 times)

victorian

Were they planked?
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »

I've run into a tricky issue on Niobe (1897 Protected cruiser, later first ship in the Canadian navy).

Was the boat deck planked?

Contemporary photographs are just too indistinct to be sure. The best shot that I have, from Niobe's crows nest' illustrates the problem. Close ups of the boat deck are rare, but seem to show plating or matting which might just be temporary around boats that were being worked. The two pics from the extensive library (300 or so) of Niobe photographs illustrate this.

Contemporary builders models invariably duck the issue by showing plain unvarnished wood (not planked) as if they were not sure how the ship was to be finished. The attached pics of the 'Good Hope' model at Duxford illustrate this uniform practice.

So does anyone know (or have better evidence than mine) as to how these large expanses of deck would have looked. One thing that is for sure is that they would not have been a continuous sheet of plywood as in the builders models!

ian kennedy

Re: Were they planked?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »

Hi Victorian,

I build quite a few models from this era and from my own probing around over the years, I came to the conclusion that the boat decks on most RN warships were plate steel  areas covered with painted canvas or a lightly textured linoleum material. These appear to be held down with thin gripper type strips screwed down at even intervals.

Paint colours vary from a medium blue/grey to a mid grey, based on some Photographs of Brian Kings excellent models of HMS Magnificent (Majestic class BB) Empress of India (Royal Sovereign class BB), Victoria.

Hope this helps you

Ian

victorian

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:12:36 pm »

Thanks very much Ian. I copied Brian King's technique in Mars (see pic) but Niobe has an even bigger expanse of boat deck and I'm puzzled why the builders models seem to duck the issue. See for instance the attached pic of Amphritite, perhaps the best finished of all the builder's models, which still shows a plain undetailed surface. (This superb model is in store at the Barrow museum and can be seen on request)

HMS Mars

HMS Amphritite

ian kennedy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:33:39 pm »

Hi Victorian,

I would never use builders models as a truly accurate gauge of finish as they are only exacting in the detail of the hull and fittings.

As you are aware these models incorporate a lot of silver, copper and chrome plating on most if not all the deck fixtures along with printed windows on superstructures etc...I have a lot of respect for Mr Kings work in the research and building and i think he has got it right so tend to follow his lead so to speak.

How is the lovely little Pelorus comming along, i take it you have finished her as you are doing Niobe now?

Cheers

Ian

victorian

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:34 pm »

Well, almost finished, I've never quite got around to painting some of the brass fittings - must be the influence of the builder's models!

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:14:09 pm »

Looking good !!

How about some more pics  :-))

ian kennedy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:19:20 pm »

Very Elegant my friend !!

I always had a soft spot for these small cruisers and have been tempted by Ron's hull for this many times.

I'm currently chipping away at my Cressy at 1/96th scale, while building the hull plug for HMS Victoria at 1/72nd and putting the finishing touches to the USS New Ironsides 1862.

Keep up the good work

Ian

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:25:02 pm »

The lino material was Corticene, fastened down by brass strips. The colour of this is usually likened to milk chocolate. This could be slippery when wet, and was sometimes covered with coconut matting to provide more grip for the crew.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

John @ WEM

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:37 pm »

We have Corticene colour-matched and available in our Colourcoats enamels, item RN 24.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.