Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/350 revell type vii  (Read 8787 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
1/350 revell type vii
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:55 am »

anyone considered trying to get one of these 350th type 7s going. ive made one up for my dad its tiny but has the same level of detail as the 1/72 one cant help but think about how i can get it going. They look great

Wasyl

Re: 1/350 revell type vii
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:11:56 pm »

A member of our boat club,rc,s the small battleships i,e Missouri  Bismarck etc there only 50cm long he uses the motors out of Scalextric cars and a micro esc etc,so if it can be done with these then i,m sure this u-boot can be done

Wullie

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:19:04 pm »

yeah ive done these too but they're easy compared to this. these subs are in a different league. scalextric motors are still too big, whats the smallest esc you can get?

these subs are tiny about 30cm long

my main problem is the esc's and rudder control (small enough servo) which it has to be said are fairly major probs. :}

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:52:26 pm »

The smallest one I've come across is the Hitec Feather, although I think they stopped making that particular model.  It was a pretty neat little job though if you can still get your hands on one.  If I remember rightly it was a 40 meg FM unit.

I think though even a micro servo would be too big for steering and my 1/72nd Revel U-Boat already uses micro servo motors for propulsion so you would have to go smaller than that. 

There may well be some options though with these little helicopters there are about nowadays.  Some of them have unbelievably small tail rotor motors and obviously a very small reciever package.  I got one for £25.00 recently and when you think you've got a two channel radio, reciever, controlled motors etc, I think there would be some very real possibilities of taking one of them apart.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:40 am »

thanks guys

bunkerbarge those helis were what i was thinking of though i have started canibalising the old graupner u16 mini sub which is ok but the circuit board is a little too big

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:31 am »

U16 uses thrusters to effect steering, in addition there is no ability to change pitch, only depth. This isn't any good for a Type VII.

The cheap helicopters are either 2.4ghz or infra-red, both useless for a submarine. Use the right gear if you want a decent result. I'm afraid the cost involved is just as high as a larger boat.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:34:24 am »

anyone considered trying to get one of these 350th type 7s going. ive made one up for my dad its tiny but has the same level of detail as the 1/72 one cant help but think about how i can get it going. They look great

Glad to see your back to messing around with subs again. I fear 1/350 is going to be too small for 'proper micro RC gear'. Still kudos if you get it working. There are 1/150 scale type VII's from Acadamy and Doyusha models and such that come with motors and running gear to build a motorised, diving  version. These may be a better bet.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:27 pm »

Speed controllers an easy one, Mr ACTions P68a (pico) smart bit of kit got 2 in my Tamiya Bismarck.
Small motors from the same Mr ACTion either go for the M5 or M7 tiny motors that should get her going.

I wouldnt be worried about rudder movement steer on the shafts easier and saves trying to find a small enough servo.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:34 am »

Thanks again guys. i was considering differential steering as apposed to a rudder, and i wasnt goin to use the infra red from the helis but thought the motors could be used. And as far as diving is concerned, well that may be a little too ambitious but i just thought that theyd make a cute little surface runner................. though if it were to dive, dynamically must be the only way?

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »

A while ago I bought one of them RTR Bismarcks,that steer with just the props they cost about £30,it ran very well,i gave it to my mate, and he fitted the gubbins to his 1/72 Schnellboot S-100,and it runs great,He used the motors that are used in those tiny indoor electric planes,the motors measure 12mm long x 8mm dia, you can even get the motors with a built in esc,

Wullie

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 01:24:31 pm »

You can purchase small pager type motors, which are used in those helicopters very easily, and it will work out a lot cheaper than cannibalising whole models.

e.g. http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/pager-motors-91-c.asp

You will find that site is also good for baby li-po cells too.

gantu

• Full Mayhemer
    • Modellbaudaten
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 06:37:06 pm »

See this maybe it help you  :}

Wasyl

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 09:29:20 am »

WOW,this is the Dogs B******S, but you must have nimble fingers,that can get into tight spaces,where as I have 10 Banana,s masquerading as fingers,therefore doing what you have done would be out of the question for me,But you have a beautiful model there,that would look great in my Bath, {-)

Wullie

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:36 am »

wow what scale are they the vii looks similar to 1/350 8) 8) 8) 8)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 07:20:14 pm »

1/150. So much bigger!

It's a Type IX, BTW. So it'll be quite a bit broader across the beam than a Type VII.

http://www.internethobbies.com/gernavubtypi.html

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 01:44:20 pm »

just while i was takin pics of the nimitz this is the one i made for dad, i soooo want to get it running, (havent got round to adding rust yet)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.