Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brockwell lido - insurance  (Read 2452 times)

Goingdown

Brockwell lido - insurance
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:20:55 pm »

Hello all,

I am currently building the krick u-boat (with some minor mods to prevent it leaking like a sieve!) and was thinking of coming with my father to the brockwell lido sub run and operating our u boat.   The flyer for the event mentions the need for insurance and I would like to know what level of insurance cover is necessary and from whom I might be able to obtain such cover?

Going down

gyronuts

Re: Brockwell lido - insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:31:58 pm »

my krick also leaks!! But at least the amount of water seems to be reducing. i am not sure whether it is coming in through the prop shafts or through one of the seals. I fitted a plastic milk bottle top so that i can connect and charge the batteries without removing the hatch. Bill

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 07:51:05 pm »

Bring it along, you're not going to do any damage with a Krick u-boat!

Another fella that attends has a krick u-boat. He said he hoped to be at the next event, so if he is, then you can swap tips.

BTW, if you PM me your or your Fathers email address, I'll add you to the Dive-in flyers list. You'll get advance notice of future events, and also notice of any other events submarine related throughout the year.

Andy

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:40:34 pm »

Unless you are planing on raming the non existant swimmers, you'll be fine as you are :-))

Goingdown

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:24 pm »

Thanks guys for your replies.   I did think that it was a little ridiculous that insurance would be required to run a submarine, I did assume that it was simply a case of needing to cover yourselves in this absurdly litigeous culture we live in.   So in conclusion I hope to get the boat shipshape and tested before we come to the lido and yes it would be interesting to talk to the guy about his krick.   

Certainly it is not the best designed boat but I think with a few tweaks principally on the sealing it could make a reliable and more importantly water tight boat.

Gyronuts, its great to hear from a fellow krick owner.   Firstly my boat is still being built I just expect it to leak in certain places unless I improve the sealing.    I too have thought about battery charging, but I think I will have to take off the front hatch to unplug the battery and connect to the charger (I have connected a 7.2V and 4.8V packs together in series).   I thought about simply providing a charging jack without isolating the batteries from the circuit - but understood that on charging the batteries, the ESCs connected to the circuit could be damaged.   As far as I see it with regards to the krick sub its the sealing that really lets it down.   The first thing I have changed is to replace the bowden cables grease seal with rubber bellows from robbe.   The hatch has had a silicon seal made, although no matter how much vaseline I applied to the lid, the silicone sealant seem to get stuck to it.    The final sealing issue to deal with is the most difficult, the propshaft seal.   I intend to tackle this by using a small "o" ring on the shaft as it leaves the prop tube which would be pressed into a small holder on the end of the shaft I think I would then use a thick oil maybe silicone oil for lubrication via the oiler points I have installed.    It is a compromise but its the best solution I can think of. 

Cheers

GoingDown

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:49:57 am »

Have you considered an oring or sponge cord instead of the silicone gasket.

Goingdown

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »

mankster - thanks for the suggestion.   I think for the moment I will seal the lids with a thin smearing of vaseline over the lids edge before securing them in place over the homemade silicone gasket, it seemed to work fine on my previous sub.   A number of articles have sited that you can make a silcone gasket by firstly applying silicone over the area you would like the gasket.   Then vaseline is smeared over the lid and tightened down onto the uncured silicone and allowed to cure before removing the lid to reveal a nice silicone gasket to trim to shape.   I applied vaseline fairly generously to the lid, but upon curing the silicone had managed to adhere to the lid.   Is there another grease that would be better at keeping the silicone from the perspex lid?

Regards

Going down

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »

Vaseline has always worked fine for me. I first apply clear tape to the bottom of the acrylic lid and apply the vaseline over that. A smearing never really works for me, I find you need to be more generous with the vaseline or the silicone sticks to the tape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.