Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine - HMS Amethyst  (Read 5721 times)

Spook

Deans Marine - HMS Amethyst
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:54:46 pm »

Has anybody tried this kit? I'm looking for a new challenge having finished HMCC Sentinel and thought it looked like something I could cope with.

Spook

Re: Deans Marine - HMS Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:38:39 pm »

I guess that'll be a "No" then. Oh well, I've ordered it anyway. Just hope they can get through the snow to deliver it to me.  {:-{

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:47:49 am »

Not built her myself but I have given a finished model a very close scrutiny and she looked good to me. I would not have said that particular builder was exceptionally talented and therefore assumed the kit was OK.

Most of Dean's products are first class.

"Amethyst" is on my "To do" list especially because at the age of eight I saw her return to Plymouth after the "Yangtze Incident" and when she was subsequently broken up some time later I scrounged a lump of teak and another of mahogany from her. I hope to incorporate a little of both in the model when I build her!

Roger in France

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:18:55 am »

Anyone thinking of building this class of ship may like to see the complete building  of HMS Starling on my site www.johnrhaynes.com . There are lots of additional fittings available in the shop if you do not want to build your own.

TSpettel

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:36:21 am »

Spook let us know what everything looks like or could you post a picture of everything in the box. Deans Marine web site says the kit was upgraded. would like to see the upgrades. I am considering this kit . i was going to build it as the HMS Starling or the HMS Wild goose.
             thanks Tom

Spook

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:52:02 pm »

Will do. There's a lot in the box. Many metal and resin casts (with a lot of cleaningp-up to do on them). I'm a little puzzled by some of the instructions on the read-through, as some of them do not seem to relate to what I'm seeing in the kit. However the date on the instructions is 1980-something (don't have it to hand) so I wonder if the instructions weren't updated when the kit was?

Spook

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

Before I post pics - can anyone tell me if posting pics of kit parts & plans will infringe copyright?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:58 pm »

I don't think so, as long as the detail isn't sufficient to generate copies.

( ...if there is a problem, I'm sure Mr Dean will let me know... personally!)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Spook

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:08 pm »

Here ya go - like I said there's a lot in the box. Too much to fit in one picture.
(ignore the carrier bag on the left - that's not included   ;) )

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.