Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Maggie M"  (Read 5430 times)

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
"Maggie M"
« on: November 26, 2006, 12:42:50 pm »

Another one of those, "I know what to do, but need to know what NOT to do.", thingys.  Any hints that will make it a bit easier to build?  I've read every review I could find (not hundreds though), and until I get the thing in front of me, they don't really 'mean' much to me.  So, any advice would be appreciated.  Translating it into 'American' would help, and expect 'dumb' questions.
 - 'Doc

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Maggie M"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:13:13 pm »

Dave Leishman is building this model just now ( as will I be soon ) so you could drop him an Email thru his website. He did have quite a bit up on his other site but the forum software's not working just now but he should be able to Email what he's done. http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/forums/

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:23:32 am »

Davie,
Thanks!  Request sent.
 - 'Doc

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 01:29:58 am »

It arrived today.  Huge hull.  Even huge'r box of white metal parts!  Don't have the 'shop' completed yet (wonder where I can find a steam shovel to clear the @#$$ out of the garage?).  Oh well... wanna 'play', gotta 'pay'...
 - 'Doc

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 05:41:45 pm »

Couldn't wait any longer.  I've gotten along without a 'shop' so far, so started on some of the 'smaller' parts.  Three winches and a crane assembled, crane painted, running out of room on the desk to put things.  Seems about 'normal' so far, not enough room and so on.  The list of things I forgot to get is gettng longer, also 'normal'.  Oh well, just have to remember to NOT take the checkbook to the store.  (Checkbook + store = no money and 'paper-soup' for months.)  Not sure I can stand all this fun!  Good for my waist line though.
 - 'Doc

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 03:54:42 pm »

Not much progress, too many other things interfering at the moment.  Got the hull painted/primed, sort of.  Mounted the rudder post and becker 'stub' thingy.  Not exactly happy with the kortz nozzle (my fault, not theirs).  Drilled out an 'almost' marked spot on the top of the kortz and added a pin for a more firm mounting.  Ended up with a 'gap' between hull and top of the kortz, doesn't sit solidly on the hull.  Another one of those "my fault' thingys, I think.  Not really a problem, just not as the drawing shows.  While I'm making that "go get it" list, going to add a brass prop.  The 'white' metal prop probably works just fine, but ...
Started on the cabin furniture.  Definitely am happy with the detailing of the 'stock' kit.  'Wood stain' color, another one for the "go get it" list.  May see if I can find some of that stick-on felt for covering the chair(s).  Since sleeveless shirts are sort of popular here in 'red-neck' country, and since I have a shirt or two that would look really nice as furniture covering, to @#$$ with the felt!  Oh yeah!  Nautical charts, wonder where I can find one?  That, and a couple of 'nudies' hanging on the walls ought to look 'real'.  Thought about carpet for the floor/decks... nah, gonna do tile instead (linoleum, whatever it's called).  Would silver glitter look like fish scales?
 - 'Doc

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:43:10 pm »

Hey Doc.  You're going like a train. Sounds good. Have you got any pictures for us please ?

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:00:15 am »

Pictures?  Pictures!  Knew I was forgeting something, rats.  Not in the next day or two, but I will get a few.  At this point there's not much that would be worth a picture.  Things mostly still like they came out of the box.  Another trip to the store for paint and they will start looking like whatever they are supposed to be, hopefully.  I do like working with plastic, but making plastic look like quality wooden furniture (yeah, right) isn't easy.  Wood stain on plastic just doesn't 'do it'.  Getting there...
 - 'Doc

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:34:22 pm »

Doc

I Googled nautical charts and came up with quite a bit. Was able to grab a picture of the english channel chart, resize it and print it off. It now sits on the chart table in the wheelhouse of my coastal freighter based on Brockley Combe. As I recall there were more American charts than UK stuff.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:37:52 pm »

Pictures are here.   http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ltdoc/album/576460762373501866
Disclaimer;
This is a 'work in progress'.  Almost everything is subject to change meerly cuz I might want too. 

- 'Doc

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 08:19:21 pm »

If you have a look thru Dave Leishman's 2 sites you'll get plenty of photo's of this class of boat ( including the Maggie M herself ) so you can get an idea on how the real thing looks. I have folders full of photo's of this class as i'm building my kit as another in the class ( Deeside BCK595 )

Here's links to the photo's of this class
Advance 2 INS77
Ardent 2 INS127
Arkh Angell K616
Budding Rose PD418
Deeside BCK595
Defiant LK371
Guardian Angell LK272
Helenus FR121
Mizpah LK173

And Daves new site http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/

Also try http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/ have a look thru the Fishing Vessel section

Davie Tait
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 04:38:13 am »

Another 'Almost' update.

Nothing new, just had to repair some damage.  Seems night before last we had some very high winds.  No idea what speed they reached but the roof is still on the house.  Everything on a desk out on the porch ended up out in the yard though.  Including the 'Maggie M.'!  All the neatly stacked/racked paint bottles, cans, whatever took a trip to the yard also.  Didn't really notice, but did notice the neighbor's dogs sitting watching me when I came out.  Odd, wonder what they want?  No tail wagging, no 'happy faces', just attentive dogs... something's wrong!  Glad I got up kind of late, cuz when I did see the stuff all over the yard I think I 'notified' the whole neighborhood.  When my buddies, the neighbor's dogs, hear that kind'a language they head for the hills.  And they did.  Spent I don't know how long gathering all the stuff up and neatly restacking/racking it (yeah, right).  No huge major damage to the boat, but some 'loose' things easy to re-glue.  Little touch-up paint here and there.
Some days nothing goes right.  Had a flat on the truck too.  Luckily, it didn't bend the drill bit.  Wondered where that thing went to.  Now just have to find the rest of them...
 - 'Doc

PS - Sounds like one of 'those' stories, right?  It really isn't.  Well, not much anyway, wasn't a drill bit.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 08:34:52 am »

Andrew Bremner used to have a boat of this class but built with a canoe stern, can only find reference to 'Boy Andrew' which was an older 65 footer, does anyone know if he still owns the larger one cannot remember the name.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 11:10:57 am »

Yes the Boy Andrew is the round stern variant of the Campbeltown 87. She's still fishing out of Wick/Scrabster along with the earlier Boy Andrew ( still owned by Andrew Bremner but now renamed to Opportune )

Dave
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 04:54:03 pm »

Found out that the hull has no leaks!  Did I float it?  No, left it sitting on the porch and it got filled with rain water.  Stuffing tube, rudder, didn't leak a bit!  My 'genius' scares me sometimes...
Weather has been a problem lately, really did rain a bunch, cold, and when I'm cold my hands shake too much for me to touch anything sharp.  Be glad when it warms up some and I can build some more.
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.