Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushless motors  (Read 2903 times)

chris holley

Brushless motors
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »

I have always run brushed motors graupner 700 neo, with jetti 600navy. but i now have a bigger boat, an the motor is not right so my question is what do i need to no before i get a brusless motor?

new esc?
new battery pack i run nicads?
diffrent shafts an props?

simple things which may or will make a diffrence thanks chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brushless motors
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:56:45 pm »

Brushless should run on any battery so you shouldnt need to change those straight away.

I personally would use the type of esc that will run on lipos partly in case you decide to use lipo batteries in the future. You dont need to change shafts. Props maybe depending on whether you are into racing and the brushless motor has more power than your existing motor (which it probably will do!).

EDIT; you may need to change the motor shaft coupling for the prop shaft as the brushless motor may have a different size to your current motor shaft.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:14 pm »

you def need a new esc, brushed esc will not operate with a brushless motor. Use nims, or lipo, but for now big mah nims will do

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:41:45 pm »

Don't forget, a brushless motor is really a three phase AC motor. The ESC used for a brushless changes DC to a chopped wave three phase AC. Brushless motors also have a much higher current draw than typical DC motors of a similar size. This is why Lippo batteries are so well suited to their use. Lippo batteries can stand a much higher current draw for a longer period than can your typical sealed lead/acid or gel cell battery.

John

john54

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:43:26 pm »

Also try to use heavy gauge wire & GOOD gold connecters even with Nih pacs so if you move to lipo the amp draw wont be an issue.

john54

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 12:00:00 am »

for feigao motors, check out www.offshoreelectrics.com, very reputable trader, and look at the forum, loads of info

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:08:07 am »

Follow this excellent thread for everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about brushless motors:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13538.0

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.