Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 2964 times)

The Doc

Oil
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:27:06 pm »

Hi all

Wonder if anyone can help with this one I have a T Bar Shaft support with a lube container to auto oil the flex shaft any advice on what oil to use See Photo

Cheers

Alan

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:54:03 pm »

I know some of the americans are using oils that arent harmfull to the enviroment in those things .I think biodegradable chainsaw oil is popular.
Mart
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chainsaw-oil-biodegradable-1-litre/dp/B000Y1D6YM

The Doc

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:34 am »

Thanks Mart

Sounds perfect :-))

Why didn't i think of that

Alan

P.S. Lost me prop and lock nut (grub screw type) yesterday >>:-( more expence {-)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 02:35:00 pm »

Thanks Mart

Sounds perfect :-))

Why didn't i think of that

Alan

P.S. Lost me prop and lock nut (grub screw type) yesterday >>:-( more expence {-)

Hi Alan try a zuber nut they never come off asuming your prop shaft has threads on the end? if not try a collar with the grub screw then a  piece of silicone tubing on after that then if the grub screw comes loose the collar cant fall off.The fancy bullet shaped prop nuts are prone to coming off is that what you have.
Mart

The Doc

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:42 pm »

Hi Mart

Yep i have the later fancy bullet nut with grub screw any idea where i can get a collar you describe good idea with silicone tubing dont want to loose another prop just ordered a 3 bladed 70mm to try. The next flexy drive i order is going to be one with the thread trouble is i still have a spare flex with grub screw but no spare bullet ends i have just ordered a couple of spars on flee bay. Hmmm spose i can grind the end of the bullet and get round it that way.
thanks

Alan

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 07:04:26 pm »

Hi not sure off hand but you could also grind down the bullet nut or cut off the pointy end and that will allow room for the silicone on the end of the shaft as you mentioned.Maybe even use a drive dog or a shaft saver collar?,did you actually file a flat spot on the shaft for the grub screw that helps.Also some blue loctite or nail varnish on the grub screw will help stop it coming loose.
Mart

zenman63

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »

I use veg oil in mine, it works fine.
As for the built ends, it's all I use on all my boats, never a problem.
Grind a flat on the shaft and when you put it together use loc tight.
When you need to remove it apply some heat to melt the loc tight.
You will never loose a prop like this

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.