Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of QE2  (Read 2423 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Future of QE2
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:53:59 pm »

It is looking increasingly likely that Dubai World will be obliged to sell the QE2.

What do members think is the most likely future for this iconic ship?

Colin

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Future of QE2
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »

Razor blades , there is a beach in India just waiting to cut it up.

Peter

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:09:56 pm »

They are caught between a rock and a hard place.  They are keeping it live so buring fuel every day but she is deteriorating and in need of a lot of money just to get her looking decent.  On top of that she no longer has a certificate of seaworthyness so she can't even go deep sea without a fair amount of money being put into her.  Towing her anywhere would cost a fortune so I'm certain the most cost effective way out would be to spend the bare minimum to make her seaworthy, probably with a cargo ship license, then sail her up a beach somewhere.

I really can't see anyone having the money to buy her and get her into a state to make money out of so she really has to go for scrap now. Dubai Wworld's only decision now is how best to cut thier losses and the sooner they make that decision the better.  The great shame is she is a perfectly sound generating plant and she could have been put to use as a mobile power station anywhere in the world if ridiculous money making ideas and greed hadn't taken priority over common sense.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:27 pm »

Sadly I agree that QE2's future is looking very bleak, given the dire straits of Dubai's economy. I think the breaker's yard will be her final port of call. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to sail on her, albeit at the tail end of an illustrious career.

Peter.

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:46:08 pm »

Or they could embed her on one of their manmade islands,as a hotel/restuarant/nightclub.
Mark

Glyn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:15:30 am »

Earlier this year it was announced that the QE2 was to be based in Cape Town next year to provide extra accommodation for the 2010 World Cup being held in South Africa. Seemingly, that plan came to nothing, for a variety of reasons. If it had come to pass, then she would have stayed there for a couple of years. Sad to think of her going the same way as the Canberra...
Glyn :((

farrow

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:57 pm »

Is that not the end of all vessels, small, large and famous or not. She is an old vessel of a bygone age that has come to the end of it's useful life, time to recycle her.

ajb68

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:10:55 pm »

But surely we could hope for a better fate than scrapping , ok shes not up to taking passengers to sea  again but i would imagine even now she would put many hotels to shame  {:-{

Andy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 05:36:53 am »

Andy, I think the cost of refitting her to modern hotel standards would be prohibitive, especially in the current economic climate. Her internal fittings were showing their age, and the cabins would have to be totally stripped and rebuilt. Nevertheless, it's a shame she couldn't be preserved, she is after all the last of her era, and one of the most famous passenger ships of all time - for the right reasons. Titanic is arguably the most famous, but for the wrong reasons.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.