Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hull Finishing  (Read 1646 times)

Aidi

Hull Finishing
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:41:40 pm »

Howide,

A quick question on how to get a plank on frame hull to a nice finish.    Where mine is at the moment, planks are not completely flush with each other, so they will have to be sanded down to get a nice smooth finish.   I understand that filler is used to fill gaps and help getting a nice overall smooth finish. 

My question is, do you sand the hull to get as best finish as possible before adding any filler, or get filler on the hull and fill gaps etc before you attempt any sanding?

Not quite at this stage yet with my Mary Ann build, but i hope to be soon!

Rgds
Aidi

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hull Finishing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:05:25 pm »

If you apply filler to a rough surface you have to remove a lot of the excess filler as well to get it to a surface.  Rub the hull down until it is reasonably smooth before adding filler, then you can see more clearly just where the surface needs raising and where the gaps are.  You should use less filler and have less work to do rubbing it down afterwards.  You may even find that after the first coat of primer you need to add more to raise the surface in certain areas. 

A useful trick here as well is to put a very light dusting of black over the hull after the first coat of primer.  When you rub it down with fine wet and dry the sunken areas will become clear where you need to add a bit more filler.  Don't forget to use a block to rub down as well.  Holding the wet and dry in your fingers will follow the contours of the hull's imperfections and you will never get it level and smooth.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:07:02 pm »

Aidi,

To help you on this, could you tell us what thickness the planks are, and if possible, a couple of photos?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Aidi

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:45:40 pm »

Thanks for the replys, all useful information.   Its mainly getting info on what to do when i reach this stage with my build. 

At the moment i have just started the 5th set of planks, so still a way to go yet.  Once i have got all the planking on ill do some pictures before i proceed any further and get suggestions on how best to proceed.   

Best Rgds
Aidi

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:28:01 am »

BB posted his reply as I was doing mine, but I would have said pretty much the same anyway.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.