Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ISP's?  (Read 5604 times)

das boot

ISP's?
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:35:38 pm »

OK fellas, my landline has been connected at long last, so now I can finally tell 3 where to stick their remote dongle and get me a decent landline/broadband set up. Trouble is...which one?
AOL
Virgin?
BT?
The rest of them?

Any advice/comments gratefully received?

Rich

andyn

Re: ISP's?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:23 pm »

Not Sky, talktalk, AOL or BT...

I'd go for virgin if it were my choice.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:40:01 pm »

You are really asking for it now Rich.

I'll be next.

I have been with BT from the word go with no problems.

Next !
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:42:56 pm »

It won't be Sky, that's for sure...I used to be with AOL, they were pretty good, never had any problems with them(until the wife and I parted company and she cancelled the subscription without telling me, but that's a looong story...)

Keep 'em coming, fellas...

Rich

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »

Take a look at ADSL24.co.uk

You can have 1 month contract if you want.

There is the option to have either a non LLU service or an LLU service. Basically, an LLU service is faster. Its also the 'type' of service Talk Talk, Tiscali and a few other provide. The drawback with an LLU service is it is not as easy to migrate to another ISP if you dont like it \ get the service you expect. An LLU service also means you end up paying a fee if you do migrate to another ISP. There can also be extended downtime when you swap over from LLU to non LLU since BT (no mater who you are with) need to remove the LLU at the exchange then connect you as non LLU. This can take about 5 - 10 days!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »

Just a question of the least worse I think.

I have been with AOL for yonks and it's generally OK but if I were starting from scratch I might consider BT. I think the crucial factor is the distance from your local exchange as this determines your download/upload speeds whoever you plump for.

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »

I'm with Virgin , I have had no real issues.   But going by other threads it really is pot luck as somebody will have something bad to say about EVERY single isp provider.   Good Luck..

How about a Poll ?

omra85

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:02:01 pm »

Another vote for BT!  Their wired router may pack up and require a reboot every so often, and it may disconnect (when you're not using it) for no apparent reason, but generally pretty reasonable.  I'm now in my 6th year.
Cheers
Danny

pobolycwm

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:33 pm »

nildram without a doubt, if i ever have to call them i press a button when told to and they call back within the hour at no cost to you

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:34 pm »

Just gone cable with virgin, apart from the wife giving me grief over the route of the cable from street to house  :embarrassed: everything seems to be fine and fast.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 10:17:07 pm »

I am with Tiscali and have never had a problem with them (hope I haven't spoken too soon)  {:-{ and I also do my phone connection through them  :-)).  They have now been taken over by TalkTalk who promise to make the service even better :-).
Derek.    :police:

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »

Me i dont have a choice , i was the one hounding the isp's on the high street begging them to connect me up ,
at first they were all smiles "ooh a new victim  :D " that was until i gave them my address then it was " i am sorry sir but broadband is not available in your area  <:(".
How could they say that when next door has it  >>:-( , BT was the only company that would connect me , and they are still.
I have had no problems with them at all , but then i suppose i am biast  :o .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 11:34:01 pm »

It would seem, from reading these posts, that people everywhere have trouble with their ISPs, the same horror stories abound here in Australia. Many people here swear by Telstra, others swear at it. I have been with Telstra for some time now, for my mobile, land line and broadband, and have had few problems; any that I have had were sorted quickly. I know of others who have had nothing but trouble with that company.

I think Colin got it right when he said you pick the least worse.

Peter.

andygh

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 12:25:56 am »

Virgin has been very good for me  :D

AOL never in a million years, nightmare from start to finish, I actually had to close my bank account in the end just to get rid of them

yorkiej

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 01:07:36 am »

I'm with Virgin on cable for Television, Telephone and Broadband and have no complaints whatsoever after nine years.
It seems to me that it very much depends on where you live.
Why that should be so, I have no idea.
Perhaps it may be best to knock on a few doors locally and chat in the local pubs to get some idea as to which ISP is doing the best on your patch.
Cheers
John

wbeedie

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 01:16:08 am »

Am with Sky for Broadband , Phone and TV no problems except as am in the middle of the sticks they lease equipment from BT who throttle at peak times ,not bad for browsing but if downloading  between 5 and 12 crap
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php     willl let you know what ISPs aare available at your exchange and if they have LLUs which stop the capping/throttling from BT :-))

das boot

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 07:39:38 am »

Well..a right mixture there. I guess it's a case of 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'....I think I'll go back to AOL, they were good to me when I used them last. The cost seems to be about much of a muchness too, they all seem about the same.

Many thanks fellas for the interesting replies...

Rich

andygh

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 07:41:32 am »

AOL? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  <*<

das boot

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 08:10:15 am »

AOL? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  <*<

I always got on ok with AOL, Andy...the occasional drop out of signal, but the coverage here was always very good. Both my daughters are with AOL, so maybe I'll get a discount.... ;)
I'll give 'em another try and see how I go with them, they cannot be any worse than 3!!!

Rich

Dreadstar

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 08:55:51 am »

I'm with Bulldog/Pipex,have been for the past 3 years,for both internet and landline,average of 7.3Mbs.I've never really had any problems with them,except when their server went down for 2 days last year.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 09:21:12 am »

Just a question of the least worse I think.

I have been with AOL for yonks and it's generally OK but if I were starting from scratch I might consider BT. I think the crucial factor is the distance from your local exchange as this determines your download/upload speeds whoever you plump for.

Colin
ive been with wanadoo orange  for yrs and the exchange is only half a mile  from my house and all i get is .498 mbs thats half a bloody meg for 19.99 a month,   im in the prosess of changing to another server which is giving me a 4.5 to 6meg speed for half the price, err why cant orange do this,,,, yes they can, for £25.99 a month nahhhh, 02 are giving it to me for 7.99 a month with 3 months free as im a mobile customer with them

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 09:22:19 am »

Was with Virgin from day 1 and stayed until ADSL Max arrived and my promised 'up to 8 meg' evening downloads became slower than the dial-up modem - really, 36kbs.  <*< Synch speed was fine, just Virgin's backbone and service that was bad.

So I went to ADSL24 (an Entanet reseller) and was very pleased until new things such as ALT (traffic throttling) became a problem, so went with their LLU service. Costs more, but my son is payiing the extra for his gaming etc. Also they have a good, UK based call centre with people who don't just read from a script.

On standard ADSL Max I got a max synch of around 4-5 meg, LLU pushed that up to around 8, and that's all my poor BT line will give me. Next door gets 12+ meg, so it's something between the green box on the corner of the street (50 feet away) and my house, but BT don't give a monkey's.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 10:12:03 am »

AOL was bought by Talk Talk a few years ago and they use all the talk talk equipment, so it's talk talk with a different name.
and I would do without broadband before I would use talk talk.

Virgin are OK if you are on there cable route as they are a bit faster and distance from exchange is not a problem, if it was via the phone line I would keep it all in one place BT then if you have a problem there is only one place to call and not one blaming the other

my view anyway

Peter

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 12:45:12 pm »

Not Tiscali, Ok if you like paying too much. Im with Sky as I have Sky tv, never had a problem and its a good service

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 07:27:59 pm »

I've been with BT as an apprentice, Technical Officer, pensioner and customer since 1963 :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.