Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display team pyrotechnic devices etc.  (Read 2451 times)

rayna

Display team pyrotechnic devices etc.
« on: November 07, 2009, 09:10:53 am »

{:-{
Are there any topics in the forum relating to putting together devices to be used for smoke explosions etc to be used in a display team activity using warships etc.
Rayna

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: Display team pyrotechnic devices etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:50:37 am »

I posted about it once... it still exists on another forum, but I was inundated with
 questions, and then Safety became an issue...

If you can find the forum and post, cool, but I won't go into it again because of safety.

As far as pyro technics and RC,.. I believe it is actually illegal to use RC to ingite pyrotechnics...

snowwolflair

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:40:24 am »

Subjects to be treated with caution, not least that terrorists are interested in remote firing.

From experience a few points

!) Ensure you are insured for public third party.
2) Unless you really know what you are doing do not use public radio control bands to fire - if you do use two transmitters providing a dual firing interlocked command.  Better still have a look at this product from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226037
3) Use only pre-prepared devices.  These can be purchased directly from firework manufacturers - some have electrical ignition built in.
4) Check the legal requirement to be registered, we used to have Black Powder Licences.

Above all safety safety safety.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:24:46 pm »

Dear Rayna,

Your first 'Port of Call' is the Crime Prevention Officer at your nearest main Police Station. In my day they were the first point of contact regarding explosives licenses... even if not now, they are the best start anyway.

Do not be inclined to 'break up' fireworks. Once broken up and the powder extracted, you are then in possession of an explosive substance and NOT a firework, and could be prosecuted for possessing same if you do not have an appropriate license - or any permissions of use. Don't even think of making the stuff yourself!!! - this could land you in even more trouble than breaking up fireworks!!!

I used to know a bit about this subject, holding in my name a 1000kg Mixed Div. C. license for five years back in the 1980's for some slate quarries (normal commercial explosives and blasting powder - the latter granulated gun powder 'coated' in graphite). However, I am not up to date with the license holding regs. at present - but my previous license would auto. enable me to have another, as long as I had the appropriate storage facility - but this is an extremely expensive item now this I do know! - permanent or semi-perm. open line phone line alarm, etc., etc., etc..

As far as all things you would like to do RC, I would suggest talking it over with the Crime PO as he/she will advise or point you in the right direction. As to appropriate insurances, well, you can only talk this over with your nearest friendly broker.

Bit gloomy and unhelpful I know, but such are the times we live in these days. Mind you, in the 80's it was N.Ireland that was the 'problem', but now is a different matter obviously - mind you the explosives are mostly different also... but whatever be the case, if it can go bang it is considered a potential threat, and unfortunately now quite rightly so.

Regards, Bernard

rayna

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:13:06 am »

{:-{
Guys thanks for all the info and leads. Out here in New Zealand we currently are not quite so constrained by terrorist related leglislation but I guess it will come. Having said that I take the point and figure I should look for an alternative that does not involve bangs and flashes unless sourced from perfectly legal devices. Maybe flash cubes and smoke and flames would suffice.
thanks again
Raynor

Wasyl

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:40:33 am »

I have in the past used "Theatrical Maroons in my 1/6th Rc Tiger,which were fired by remote,they are in effect a 12v firework,i.e. loud bang lots of smoke,they can be bought quite legally in the UK,with no licence required,in fact i still have one or two in my shed,they retail for approx £3.50 each,and can be bought from a well known 1/6th Tank importer,there,is also a company in England that sells 12 gauge blank firers for their 1/6th scale Tiger Tanks,
There are also many 1/6th scale tanks that have a blank firing pistol installed,but these must be of the top venting kind,

Wullie

steamboatmodel

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:31:28 pm »

I think you should check with your local theatrical supply shop, and ask them. Going back to the 60s and 70s there were courses you had to take before you were issued a licence to purchase. Mine has long expired but I was allowed to do pyrotechnics both indoors and outside. Do not play around with stuff on your own, or at the lest you might be known as stubby.
Regards,
Gerald.

rayna

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »

:-))
Again thanks all. I have located a NZ supplier of the theatrical items thanks to the forum and they look affordable for suitable occasions.
Raynor

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:19 am »

You can buy smoke pellets, intended for testing flues and chimneys, in any good hardware shop (like mine!).
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05:56 am »

Where are you Jonty, and how much are they?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:35 am »

Any Plumbers Merchant,will sell you smoke pellets,

Wullie

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:08:08 pm »

In sunny Queensbury, twixt Bradford and Halifax, and home of the Black Dyke Band.

The smoke pellets are £6.85 for a tube of six, post free for Mayhem members. Each burns for 40 seconds and produces 18 cubic metres of smoke.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.