Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rugby Union  (Read 4174 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Rugby Union
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:42:02 am »

Australia opened their rugby tour of Britain with a good win over England, despite Jonny Wonderboy's unerring boot. Scoring 2 tries to nil, the Wallabies gained a much needed morale boost, after some heavy losses to the All Blacks, in their effort to achieve the magical clean sweep of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. My personal opinion is that the Aussies will have to play out of their skins to pull off such a feat, but maybe, just maybe, they could do it. Time will tell.

The Wallabies have been in a rebuilding phase for some time now, with some exciting new players starting to make their marks. Now is the time for these young guns to prove they are worthy of their postioins in the team.

Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Rugby Union
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:45:07 am »

Sorry Peter you passed over that a bit quickly-------------- losses did you say ? O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:19:53 pm »

Loved the games on Saturday. England were out played and never looked like scoring a try. Australia made the perfect start to a grandslam of the Home Nations. Johnson has now lost 7 of the last 12 test matches. Australia had only won 1 out of the last 7. If England don't do something special next weekend they could face another loss to the Pumas who have won 2 out of the 3 last games against England. Then England face us (the All Blacks).

The New Zealand V Wales game was good too. The All Blacks played a masterful first half by not letting Wales build any kind of momentum and silenced a usually noisy Walsh crowd. Then in the second half they cut loose. Wales will have to wait a bit longer for that first win in over 50 years..

There was some good news for England this weekend though as the beat the World Champions New Zealand in the 4 Nations contest to set up a final against Australia.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:23:35 pm »

Yes, Richard, LOSSES, I'll say it slowly, l-o-s-s-e-s, more like floggings really,  O0 by the All Blacks, arguably the best Rugby Union side in the world right now. I was pleasantly surprised when the Wallabies downed England.

Jonny, the 4 Nations contest is Rugby League, and yes, England beat NZ well. The Aussies, the Kangaroos, will have to play well to beat England next weekend.

Peter.

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:59:50 am »

Well there were two exciting rugby games on last night. Firstly Wales managed to hold off a great Samoan fight back to take a narrow win 17-13. Then France came from behind to beat South Africa 20-13.

The big games today are:
All Blacks v Italy
Scotland v Fiji
England v Argentina

And in the Rugby League England take on Australia in the final of the Four Nations.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:03:21 am »

And in the Rugby League England take on Australia in the final of the Four Nations.

Go the Kangaroos  :-)) :-)) O0

Peter.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:49:52 pm »

Well the Kangaroos went and quite well outplaying England by a mere 30 points,
final score 46-16.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:09:07 pm »

To be fair to England in the Rugby League the game was quite close for the first 55 minutes. Then it wasn't {-)
Same can't be said for the Rugby Union. We are going to kill England this weekend. All Blacks to win by 30 points easy.
The Australia Ireland game was the best rugby union match of the weekend with Ireland sneaking in for a draw in the last minute of the game.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:23:48 am »

all blacks to win....i would hope so but by 30 points.. no.   how about some scores posted here. i will start the ball rolling  with: NZ 21  ENGLAND 12.   1st prize for closest to winning score....'i told you so' bragging rights.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:44:06 am »

I TOLD YOU SO  I TOLD YOU SO.

Mark47

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:10 am »

9-8

Scotland against the Aussies at the weekend. Now that's what I call a spirited game. The Scots defence was immense. You couldn't break that down with a tank. O0 Australia missing a kick to win at the death. What a hard fought contest. Scotland holding up two tries.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:14 pm »

Scotland 9 - Australia 8. Blood Pressure Astronomical.  :o  :o

80 minutes of non-stop combat when every man in a Scotland jersey gave his all without reservation and never a head went down. They deserved to win and the look on Paterson's face after his drop-kick was just sublime. I've been booked for some time for next week's match with Argentina and you bet I'm looking forward to it.

Barry M

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:00:33 pm »

What I always find funny about English Rugby in the papers here is that England never actually lose a game. It's just that some times they score less points then thier opponents. They obviously watched a diffferent game to me. %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52:25 pm »

At least Australia scored a try, how many did Scotland score? Oh, sorry, they "held up" 2 tries, and if Matt Giteau had been on target it would have been a different story. Nevertheless, well done Scotland, after how many years?

Peter.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:05:02 pm »

"At least Australia scored a try"   ;D {-)  "If, if, if, if.???? They also lost. {-)

Where did Oz come in the Tri Nations?

Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 04:59:53 am »

They also lost.
Where did Oz come in the Tri Nations?

Quite correct, Barry, we did lose, and to a better side on the day. Mind you, most teams are better than Australia lately, despite us having poached one of New Zealand's finest to coach the Wallabies.

Oz???? Isn't that the mythical land where a wizard lives?  %) Australia didn't do well in the Tri Nations either, although we beat the Springboks 21-6 in Brisbane. We have a long way to go before we can compete with the big boys with consistent success. However, we did beat England, so we can take some comfort from that  {-) It will be interesting to see how we fare against Wales at the weekend.

Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:06 am »

I thought the Scotland v Australia game one of the most interesting and exciting games I have watched for a long time. Yes, the defensive play by Scotland was superb but you do not win by playing defensively. Had Giteau been on form it would have been a very different story.

Patterson's joy after the drop kick was palpable.

The match was all the more enjoyable when you reflect on the tawdry game played by England.

Roger in France
(who has the good fortune to support England and France at the same time, except when they play each other when I cheer for England)!

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 09:18:10 am »

Roger,

Scotland did not win solely by superb defence. They won by superb defence and grabbing their chances when they came. There is a difference.  O0

Yes, if Giteau had not muffed his kicks then the outcome would have been different and if Paterson had not kicked the drop-goal and if Godman had not kicked his penalties and so on and so on, the scoresheet would have been different but that's life. You can't live by 'ifs'. 'If' is an excuse not a result.

.....and some say that the Oz Australia try which was allowed had a hint of forward pass about it? - Of course I couldn't possibly comment on that.  %)  %)

Mark47

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 09:50:00 am »

Roger,

Scotland did not win solely by superb defence. They won by superb defence and grabbing their chances when they came. There is a difference.  O0

Yes, if Giteau had not muffed his kicks then the outcome would have been different and if Paterson had not kicked the drop-goal and if Godman had not kicked his penalties and so on and so on, the scoresheet would have been different but that's life. You can't live by 'ifs'. 'If' is an excuse not a result.

.....and some say that the Oz Australia try which was allowed had a hint of forward pass about it? - Of course I couldn't possibly comment on that.  %)  %)

I forgot about the forward motion of the ball for that try.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 09:58:52 am »

...Goiod Morning Guys...

I was proud to sit and watch the Scots winning on Saturday with my 2 sons beside me...

The Australian try was as legal as the France goal against Ireland...Both refereeing errors...

...Best Regards From Bonnie Scotland...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 09:37:15 pm »

The Australian try was as legal as the France goal against Ireland...Both refereeing errors...

Now, now, Norry, that was below the belt  :o Thierry Henry's hand ball was deliberate, whereas forward passes are usually caused by a misjudgement by the player passing the ball. Also, camera angles can be misleading.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  O0 :D

Peter.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 08:13:28 am »

dont know whats going on in the aussie camp. robbie deans is the guy who should be coaching NZ but its certainly not working in aussie. i think he will be looking for a job soon. could we swap deans for graham  henry. then  again dont get me started on henry

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 09:23:53 am »

When the Scotland, Wales, Ireland or Italy teams lose, they mutter, shrug and go back to the training field.

When the England Team (London and South East Division) loses, they declare a national emergency, write to the Times, shrug and go back to the training field.

The French riot and blockade a few ports while the Argentinians shrug and go back to their day-jobs.

The New Zealanders - well, it's not too clear what they do because thay lose too rarely but usually they are a fair-minded bunch.

The Australians - or at least the ex-players, former managers and coaches (according to the Australian Press) come out with the most virulent dose of sour grapes that would make Bollinger taste like vinegar. Whatever happened to the laid-back Aussies or are they just bad losers?

Barry M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 11:30:02 pm »

Good question, Barry. Ex players, managers and coaches seem to declare open season on the current crop whenever they are beaten. One of the worst offenders in Rugby Union here in the past has been David Campese, although I haven't seen any comments by him lately. Sports reporters are a particularly nasty lot, but no worse than the English sporting press.  Perhaps we have become bad losers in sport, probably because we haven't had a lot of practice at it, until recently.  %)

When New Zealand do lose, a national day of mourning is declared, newspapers are horrified and TV commentators are speechless - briefly, then the equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition is held. Fortunately for the Kiwis, none of this happens very often, although their World Cup record is inexplicably poor.

I agree with hopeitfloats regarding Robbie Deans; he was widely seen as the saviour of Australian Rugby, but this hasn't eventuated, perhaps because he does not have the material to work with. Rugby Union is very much a minority sport in Australia, not in terms of available finance, but in terms of a player base. Football (soccer) has by far the largest number of participants but, until recently, lacked good administration. This has been rectified, and with the establishment of the A-League we are now starting to see the results, with Australia about to participate in its second consecutive World Cup. Rugby League has a far bigger following than Union in NSW and Queensland, with big crowds at club games, but Australian Rules is vastly bigger than either Rugby code in most states, with crowds up to 75,000 not uncommon at a club game in Melbourne.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.