Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Radio  (Read 2760 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Vintage Radio
« on: November 08, 2009, 05:41:29 pm »

I have always been interested in old radio sets since I found one in the River Ribble when I was 8 years old.     I often design and build them, but only with valves - never did like transistors!
This is a two-valve reaction receiver that I completed a few weeks ago.
Bob
Regards
Positive

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vintage Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:14:43 pm »

Hi Bob, nice to see someone still has an interest in this stuff. I too grew up with it, worked on it  and still tinker with the stuff. I finished restoring my old Austin last year and the Echo radio was one of the last things on my list. It is a large valve unit which lives in a compartment under the bonnet, the mechanical control box which sits on the facia panel is connected to the control shafts of the set by way of flexible drive couplings.
Apart from the odd valve which was gassed, my main problems were with the power supply unit, a seperate item bolted to the back of the set. It housed an HT generator and used the old method of switching the step up transformer buy the use of a vibrator pack. The main problem appeared to be burnt contacts in the vibrator itself, this was due  to capacitor failure. Once replaced and cleaned out she was up and running again. Its a strange set in many ways and i suspect it was originally designed as a  piece of WW2 equipment as it has one mw band , four preset frequencies and five sw bands running up to 18Mhz!!
The wretched thing has failed again and it is my belief that a valve has given up the ghost. It is an absolute pain to remove the set from the car so I've put it off for the moment but I hate driving  the old girl around knowing something onboard is not functioning.

I have a few other sets kicking around, a couple of domestic receivers and and some old military sets too. One of these sets is an old Air Ministery rx, The model number escapes me and it's buried under tons of stuff in the loft ,but like yours, that is a re-gen set and utilises old four pin triode valves. It does still work and is amazingly sensitive AND selective when you crank up the regen contrrol. Superhets are wonderful but these old sets have so much going for them and are still a source of fascination.
Just for fun, I occasionally dig out the old crystal set I built for my son many years back, hook it up make sure it's all working, fiddle with it and put it away again!
 Don't think I'll ever grow up .

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »

Thanks for reply.   I got hooked at a very early age and went on to be ship's radio officer for 32 years.    Even now, I am always going back to radio when I get tired of building model ships.    The Air Ministry receiver you mention is probably an R1155 like this one.    I got it on a car boot sale for £15 and laboriously restored it to full working order and cleaned up the case as much as I could.   Once working, I lost interest in it and sold it on Ebay for just over £200!
Bob
Regards
Positive

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:51:16 pm »

Nope, my old set is not anRr1155. I did have one of these too but got rid of it. It suffered with successive capacitor failures, especially the bolt down types with the rubber covered wire protruding from the metal cans. The rubber insulation throughout the set was crumbling everywhere ,although it did work. I gave mine away to an enthusiastic friend.
The old set I was on about earlier is built into a wooden box with a lifting lid, this has a calibration chart for converting the 180 degree Muirhead dial into frequencies. It has a large cable harness protruding from the rear with HT, LT and grid bias battery terminals fitted. The front plate is stamped with a crown and the letters AM along with it's model No and serial number.
I spent a fair amount of time using this set many years ago but now it's buried under piles of boxes and junk. I simply can't get near it otherwise i could give you the model Number. I have seen one crop up on e-bay before.

I used to love all the old ww2 military sets which were kicking around years ago. Some of the American radio eqpt was beautifully designed and built and as a youngster, my bedroom was full of the stuff. Mum finally put her foot down and refused to clean my room as she said the bits of wire used to get stuck up the vacuum cleaner! She also got a bit of a sweat on when she sucked a component up the machine as she thought it might be important, bless her!
Ahhh...happy daze!!

rathikrishna

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 11:24:30 am »

Sir..a great stuff indeed..but i have a request..we never think all valve sets are gone...i have just compleated a valve set, for my HAM .  it was too difficult o get the needed valves yes sure..so i wandered all electronics junkyards..and finally i got two from an old Photophonic projector...its working nicely now...unmatched...so thanks for the rejuvenation of the valve sets...great indeed...

robertall

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:49 pm »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200546416887

I had one for sale on eBay for 2 months for £15, and it failed to sell, i gave up and now i am going to keep it. It is a lovely piece though, i am only 20, so it is very unique to me, but i am amazed how loud it gets. It is impractical for me because radio 1 too much, and FM is something which did not appear exist back then. It is nice though, shame i cannot give it away!

Rob

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 10:38:15 pm »

Sir..a great stuff indeed..but i have a request..we never think all valve sets are gone...i have just compleated a valve set, for my HAM .  it was too difficult o get the needed valves yes sure..so i wandered all electronics junkyards..and finally i got two from an old Photophonic projector...its working nicely now...unmatched...so thanks for the rejuvenation of the valve sets...great indeed...

Hi what is your call sign mine is G0PAH but I am not active now.you are truly a woman of many talents

peter

rathikrishna

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 12:26:58 pm »

Hey HS93 i will send you a PM...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.